The food thread

Wow, I could eat that (except for the lamb)! Love love love spanakopita. T-day is often difficult for vegetarians.

Our main course was an odd international mix- ravioli stuffed with duxelles of morel and requeson cheese, served in a tomato, white wine, and brown butter sauce. That's Italian, Mexican, and French, all in one. And of course we served it with a Rioja, just to add another country to the list.

For football day tomorrow (though it couldn't be better than the Ravens-49ers on T-day), we're trying some Nepalese steamed dumplings with paneer in a tomato chile sauce (last of this year's tomatoes from our garden and two varieties of green chile that we grew).

For Thanksgiving one of the vegetables was a cold asparagus salad, offshoot from a NYTimes recipe -- sliced the asparagus on the bias and parboiled just to the point of tenderness, combined with shaved fennel, onion and red pepper -- served with a french dressing. The original recipe called for radishes and scallions which we forgot to get! I think we had 7 vegetable dishes, a nicely done turkey by my daughter in law, and too many bottles of Pinot Noir.

Wow, I could eat that (except for the lamb)! Love love love spanakopita. T-day is often difficult for vegetarians.

Our main course was an odd international mix- ravioli stuffed with duxelles of morel and requeson cheese, served in a tomato, white wine, and brown butter sauce. That's Italian, Mexican, and French, all in one. And of course we served it with a Rioja, just to add another country to the list.

For football day tomorrow (though it couldn't be better than the Ravens-49ers on T-day), we're trying some Nepalese steamed dumplings with paneer in a tomato chile sauce (last of this year's tomatoes from our garden and two varieties of green chile that we grew).

We used to have much more variety, but now that I no longer do the cooking, not so much. My wife hates to cook so we take what is quick and easy that I can talk her into.

I didn't realize you were a vegetarian. I will have to start posting non meat recipes.

A Rioja from, well, La Rioja region (Spain)? Sounds obvious, but you know, for example that Kobe steaks that are never really made in Kobe :) Is it expensive there? Do you remember the brand?

Requeson sounds a lot like being from spain, as far as I know. Were you referring it as the mexican dish? Well, we all speak spanish in the end, so....

I haven't got any pictures, but today I ate the well-known Paella. I just have now some leftovers... maybe for breakfast? :cool:

One of the advantages of living in New England is that friends don't know what to do with that extra 300lb. of Bluefin. :D

Yesterday fresh, I'm willing to believe the locals who say Atlantic tuna does not need the parasite killing flash freeze (YMMV) this stuff is like butter.

Attachments

• aaaaaaaaacc.JPG
    aaaaaaaaacc.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 96
A Rioja from, well, La Rioja region (Spain)? Sounds obvious, but you know, for example that Kobe steaks that are never really made in Kobe :) Is it expensive there? Do you remember the brand?

Requeson sounds a lot like being from spain, as far as I know. Were you referring it as the mexican dish? Well, we all speak spanish in the end, so....

I haven't got any pictures, but today I ate the well-known Paella. I just have now some leftovers... maybe for breakfast? :cool:

Since I haven't eaten meat in about 50 years, I couldn't tell you much about Kobe steaks. :D This Rioja was bought at auction- it was a 1981 Bodegas Franco Royal Reserva- so it wasn't very expensive. But super good, I love the older styles with lower alcohol and extraction and more local character than the newer fashions in wine.

Requeson is a cheese from Mexico, similar to ricotta but a bit dryer, denser, and (to me) more flavorful. Unfortunately, my Spanish is limited to simple stuff I need to get by day to day, but I've been told that Mexican Spanish (which is what I know) is a very different language than Castillian.

Best paella I ever had was in Madrid, not Valencia!

Unfortunately, my Spanish is limited to simple stuff I need to get by day to day, but I've been told that Mexican Spanish (which is what I know) is a very different language than Castillian.
Well, most of it remains the same, there are some minor differences in the names of things that are not wrong in Spanish, just that you can say the same thing with different words, and they use to say in a way, and we use to in another. Both being corrent regarding Castillian most of the time.

Best paella I ever had was in Madrid, not Valencia!
Me too! :p

Paella without meat? I have never had that.

Easy to do. In Madrid, it was done with tomato, asparagus, and spinach (I think it's called paella vegetale). Inspired by that experience, I make a tomato and egg paella when it's tomato season- bomba rice, lots of saffron, ripe heirloom tomatoes. When it's just about done, I crack a couple eggs over it, cover, and let them barely set.

We also grow Padron peppers here to make my favorite Spanish bar-food snack, fried Padrons with salt. The Texas soil apparently alters the heat balance- Spanish Padrons have about 1 out of 10 very hot, the others sweet (it's random, which makes it fun). Here, we get about 2/3 of them hot. They are amazingly flavorful.