The food thread

Fish sticks and remoulade dip.

Sauce : mayo, Frenchy mustard, shallot, chopped pickles, couple of anchovies (glass jar, on olive oil), tarragon, chervil, a load of parsley, a wee sea salt, fresh ground pepper.
Sticks : Cod fish (processed frozen ones from the super nowadays here are pollock base, taste like wet cardboard, imo)

+plaster residu, from sticking the knife in my pinky finger while cutting up the pickles, some folks never learn.

We'll have to start calling Call the Brine Master :clown:

Attachments

• StickIt2.jpg
    StickIt2.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 109
+plaster residu, from sticking the knife in my pinky finger while cutting up the pickles, some folks never learn.
I was at a conference at a big and expensive NYC hotel --- and one guy found a "plaster" (band-aid) in the chicken, and I found a cigarette in mine!

That'll put you off your appetite.

There are some amusing food scenes in the Brit TV series "Doc Martin" -- just being aired stateside this year. I like the one where the local baker has an intestinal virus but has to get back to making 200 "pastries" (meat pies?) for some local event. I can relate to Doc Martin.

Long long time ago i just got a few pounds of mince meat, on the verge of making Italian meat-a-balls i ran across a bloody 'adhesive plaster' (band-aid).
Me had soft cheese on crackers that night.

In a decent hotel/restaurant, that would be a capitol crime, imo.

(Martin Clunes is a funny bloke. Agenda note : me still needs to schedule a trip to Cornwall for grub at Mr Stein's place in Padstow)

Last edited:
The beef chew is done similar to jerky but you cut it thicker, brine for 12 - 24 hours in soya, sugar, seasoned salt and liquid smoke. 18 hours in the dehydrator and you're done.

Gomae, for those who haven't tried it is a Japanese style dish often served at Sushi places. It's really tasty and a great way to get your greens. Allow one bunch of spinach per person. Here's a quick method:

Soak the spinach in ice water for an hour and drain. Put the spinach in an empty pot and cook over a medium heat until soft. Drain and chill in ice water, drain again. While that's happening you make up a sauce of soya, sugar, sesame oil and sake (use rice vinegar if no sake handy). Pour over spinach and stir. You can roll it into little tubes like nigri sushi if you want or simply plate it into very small bowls. Top with roasted sesame seeds. That's it.

Next is some ground butcher beef, you know the kind - no water added.

Seasoned with worcestershire, onion seasoning, dried onion, salt, dried chillies and a little secret I found at the dollar store called BBQ seasoning. Not sure what the ingredients are but cumin seems to play a big part. No plan for this yet, maybe balls, maybe patties, we'll see as the evening progresses and the wine, I mean beer, takes over the thinking. :)

Attachments

• IMG_7304.jpg
    IMG_7304.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 95
So while I'm busy, my honey getting involved too. She's making a fried chicken dish. She breads the drumsticks with a starch and flour combo, fries the chicken and then adds it to the wok along with things like garlic, onion, green onion, sweet chili sauce, fresh chillies, oyster sauce (for firechief) a little msg and gasp, some ketchup. She seems to like it as she couldn't even keep her fingers outta the way for the pic. Maybe she just wanted you guys to see the rock, I don't know, who understands women? :)

Attachments

• IMG_7307.jpg
    IMG_7307.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 76
Geez Dave what took you so long? :D

Just got the time to peruse the site for the day. Been busy doing other things, like getting a wireless router to behave (Plug and Play isn't). Then after eating dinner I decided it was time to enjoy the nice weather we are having, as it will be gone tomorrow. Otherwise, I enjoy every opportunity to be a complete wiseass!:D:D:mischiev::mischiev:

Peace,

Dave