The food thread

Mrs. Weldon said this is all I need for Hallowe'en.

Attachments

• IMG_0073.jpeg
    IMG_0073.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 27
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Suits you!

Question for those who gorge on lactobaccilus. With live yoghurt as long as it's not grown fur what's the tell for when it's a bit more live that can be safely consumed? We normally cook with ours once the taste starts to change(on the rare occasion it lasts that long), but wondered if we were missing out on maximal microbial goodness?

Ask your wife to make 'dahi', home made curds.
Quite different from the market made stuff.
If you already do that, stick to it.

Comercial yogurt can have all sorts of additives, including gelling and binding agents, for example agar (!).

Shrikhand is sweetened hung curd, many flavours are sold, there are shops selling artisanally made stuff, and the big dairies use presses, the texture is coarser and overall mouth feel better in the locally / home made material.

Lactobacillus supplement is for people who are temporarily or permanently with a gut flora problem, should not use for people who are in good health.
Curds have different benefits, including some nutrition, and helps in digestion.

If you haven't, please post pictures of dishes made with a curd gravy, like 'Pakode ki Kdhi' or 'Gatte ki Sabji'...yummy.

Bill, to make it as simple as I can... (so I will understand what I typed)
Once the lacto fermentation starts, you basically have a safe product. The good bugs do a heck of a job protecting the fort. It really never goes harmful except to your eyes. That said, it can become contaminated by you. If you see anything pink or black, throw it out. If it greenish blue like cheese mold, scoop off the uglies and you're good to go. The more 'live' it gets, the better. I'm not sure at what point that would be but I would guess that would be about 10 hours into the fermentation. (only a guess)
Cooking kills any value of the bugs but the lactic acid remains so it's not all bad, but safe to say, considerably better for you if eaten raw.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
This pot had no growths, but had just taken on a 'cheesy tang'. As SWMBO puts yog in her roti dough we used it for that, although I ate the remainder as you cannot waste any. I figured it had just matured a bit in the fridge and was still good (if not better) than a fresh pot.

Temperature has dropped a bit so sitting next to the cooker whilst beetroot roasts and soup bubbles. Managed to get 2 butternut squash this year that ripened, which is 2 more than last year :), so making squash, parsnip and sweet potato soup. If kids weren't eating it would heave in some chilli powder at this stage, but I add chilli flakes on serving these days to prevent complaints.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
We made the "creamy japanese" soup... sort of like making curry but with heavy cream and roux instead.

A base of stir fry chicken, bacon, potato, onions, carrot, apple, green peas and garlic. With creamy japanese roux and heavy cream. On top of rice. No pictures, we ate it all.

We split the base, so tomorrow will add pineapple and curry.

My daughter makes a pretty good chinese sour soup.

Melon head?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Ice cream yum.

Anyhow, daughter felt like baking.... My bestest all time most favoritist... French Apple Tart... Yikes, always most delicious. Her training is as a chef, but her specialty is pastry chef. So, she knows how to buy her way out of working too hard. In this case she bought the puff pastry from a local specialty store. I guess you just have to know...

Having her living at home is a damn luxury, I tell ya...

Maybe tomorrow, I'll serve the tart with ice cream...

BTW, that tart.... that's 12 servings. That tray is a half sheet. ( 18" x 13" )... Yum!

Yes, daughter also made curry. I just made the fresh tomato and olive salad... and fished out the IPA from the back of the fridge.

Attachments

• 20231102_171732.jpg
    20231102_171732.jpg
    549 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Roasted Bhakarwadi is layered flaky pastry with an intermediate layer of red chilli / garlic / shredded coconut / poppy seed paste, an alternate is sprinkle poppy seeds or sesame seeds on top.
It is built up, rolled, cut to about half inch length, then baked.

Worth the trouble, go easy on the spice levels.

A typical recipe: (off the net, many minor variations exist)
https://www.archanaskitchen.com/baked-bhakarwadi-recipe

The picture is again off the net, it is a common item here in my area.

Tony, did the daughter add nutmeg or cardamom to the apple tart?
If not, worth a try.

Attachments

• 1698986634839.png
    1698986634839.png
    41.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2010
Paid Member
^ "Tony, did the daughter add nutmeg or cardamom to the apple tart?"

No, she makes the traditional version... except I think she goes lighter on the sugar. I'm mention that to her tomorrow. Thanks.

Your sweets look very good. It's one of the things about Indian cuisines that blow us away... the most "exotic" blend of spices we can imagine. Is it a dessert? Is it a cracker? Is it a bread? Who knows? Just eat it...

Always a great experience... :)

That above is a fairly spicy savory item.

I made this...
It is called chikki, one is mostly peanuts, the other is walnuts, peanuts, fennel, black and white sesame, poppy seeds, a pinch of edible camphor...
Yes, it is sweet, a cousin of peanut brittle.

Attachments

• 20231016_112246.jpg
    20231016_112246.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20231016_112249.jpg
    20231016_112249.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 19
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hey, my wife has bought that from the local store. It's a very good munchie.

^Our country has a rich tradition of desserts...

Yep... I think every culture worth it's salt ( and sugar ) has a rich tradition of desserts. My daughter manages a high end cookie store. Everynight she brings all kinds of great cookies. My favorites are chocolate chip and white chocolate chip with macademia nuts. Yumm.

So buddy-o-mine decides he’s going to become a cook, and heard about the benefits of dried items. Off to the store he went to get beans, peas, lentils and grains.
A shipload of them. 10 kgs. worth.
Brings them home and calls me wanting to know what to do.
I start describing the process and he stopped me partway through.
He says Cal, how about you have some of these? I said sure. What don’t you want?
All of it he says. I guess I don’t want to learn all that, especially the part about having to remember soaking things the night before and then still having to cook them.
I said fine, I’ll bring you some when I cook them.
I could see the smile on the other end of the phone.

Avoid adding cooking soda (bicarb?), not good for kids...

I have added garbozo beans to nearly boiling salty water to shorten soak time to two hours instead of six, and increased pressure time from 20 to 30 minutes in the cooker.

I slow cook them, until they give off a sort of thick fluid, then add onion-tomato-spice-mango powder gravy, cook till boiling.
Then serve with spicy mango pickle and a few drops of lemon juice on top....