Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

The food thread
The food thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st May 2018, 09:47 PM   #9291
Charles Darwin is offline Charles Darwin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The very best olive oil in Italy not only never leaves the country, it never even makes it into shops!

In that little village we had a house in almost every family owned a half dozen olive trees near by. When it is time they harvest the olives and take them and some bottles to a guy who presses them. Friend of ours had a few spare trees but he supplied the local hospital with his surplus (he also had a hotel/restaurant).
That was in the Gaeta area where they grow some of the best olives in Italy.
Old 2nd May 2018, 01:09 AM   #9292
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

The food thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Darwin View Post
That was in the Gaeta area where they grow some of the best olives in Italy.
One of the best meals me, mamselle and the 3 sons (now parents!) had in that area was in that general vicinity about 20 years ago.

...but now I want to go back to Siracusa!
Old 2nd May 2018, 01:23 AM   #9293
Refugee1 is offline Refugee1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

We have just done some rhubarb and date chutney.
The rhubarb needed to be used because it was growing across the garden path.
I had some with cheese after my evening meal.
Old 5th May 2018, 02:06 AM   #9294
diyAudio Member

The food thread
This evening I made twice-cooked pork for me and mamselle - had about 15 ounces of pork tenderloin left over.

The tenderloin was "boiled", in its entirety, with a couple slivers of ginger for 20 minutes and placed to chill. After chilling divided into 2 and sliced 1/8" slivers.

Green pepper was sliced up and deep fried -- not to the point of being "limp" (who wants a limp pepper?).

Next put some scallion and garlic in the wok until fragrant, added the pork and green pepper. Poured on a sauce composed of "hot" bean sauce and "Sweet" bean sauce, a sprinkle of soy sauce and vermouth.

Very, very good. Served with braised bok-choy.
Old 9th May 2018, 05:26 PM   #9295
diyAudio Member

The food thread
Default gut mit spargel

Berlin Responds to Crayfish Plague: If You Can't Beat Them, Eat Them

Somehow American crayfish have invaded Berlin's waterways -- and they awarded one license to fish the critters out:

Berlin Responds to Crayfish Plague: If You Can'''t Beat Them, Eat Them - The New York Times
Old 9th May 2018, 05:40 PM   #9296
scott wurcer is offline scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinnj View Post
Berlin Responds to Crayfish Plague: If You Can't Beat Them, Eat Them

Spargel is something I don't get, and I've had it in Germany at peak time. To me it's like one of those things where the fanciness goes with being almost characterless like grade AA Fancy maple syrup (boring).
Old 9th May 2018, 06:32 PM   #9297
Charles Darwin is offline Charles Darwin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Green asparagus is delicious but Germans usually have white which is a bit bland.

Or to put a more positive spin on it: The flavour is very delicate.
Old 9th May 2018, 07:39 PM   #9298
Ultima Thule is offline Ultima Thule  Europe
diyAudio Member

Today tried for the first time baking my gluten free oat flour based sweet coffee bread using yest and it worked much better than anticipated, the recipe requires baking powder which leaves a metallic aftertaste, I am after all trying to stick with a known brand but can't be sure if there's still aluminum etc in it, but from now on no more obscure chemicals in my coffee bread.
Old 9th May 2018, 08:27 PM   #9299
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima Thule View Post
Today tried for the first time baking my gluten free oat flour based sweet coffee bread using yest and it worked much better than anticipated, the recipe requires baking powder which leaves a metallic aftertaste, I am after all trying to stick with a known brand but can't be sure if there's still aluminum etc in it, but from now on no more obscure chemicals in my coffee bread.
Try a look at Bob's Red Mill aluminum free. They were the only people with broadly available teff flour and have a lot of alternative grains, flours, etc.

https://www.bobsredmill.com/shop.htm...MaAtv4EALw_wcB
Old 9th May 2018, 08:36 PM   #9300
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Darwin View Post
Green asparagus is delicious but Germans usually have white which is a bit bland.

Or to put a more positive spin on it: The flavour is very delicate.
I assumed the white was the preferred meaning of spargel in Germany and yes it is delicate as they say. What I really don't get is prizing the huge ones that are tough at the end and have to be trimmed and peeled.

The food threadHide this!Advertise here!