The food thread

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
@Cassiel, now that we are in Madrid's easter San Isidro, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chitterlings

Well, yesterday was my birthday (43) and I overdid it. I'm feeling pretty sick today, but no migas for me :))) perhaps marijuana, let's see if it makes me feel a little better. Stomach's messed up. By the way, maybe you guys already know but migas means crumbs. The stuff pigeons eat. Please don't defecate on me.

OK Jacho, thanks for the correction that didnt really add anything to the conversation... everyone knows what I mean, must you to the European thing and correct the heathen convict white boy?

prosciutto de parma vs Spanish/Iberian Jamon
both unpasteurized of comparable quality, are different, but equal IMO with differences that speak only for a preference rather than one being inferior to the other

Last edited:
correction to the conversation

Question is whether you ever had genuine Pata Negra.

Have to admit that I'm not really into prosciutto di Parma, San Daniele is more to my liking.
Also had lots of plain Serrano that wasn't worth the eat, not even in Spain, and I've seen many sides of Spain (not enough, despite the difference in scale, Spain is somewhat similar to the US, more like 50 different states, rednecks included).
For Parma versus Iberico, I'm 100% with the Madrileno BS'er.

(fwiw, in Europe, the genuine gourmands are the Spanish 1st, Belgiums 2nd, not the French or Italians)

In the French Provence, there are wild black pigs. I've had ham at/from friends in Paris, who originated from the Provence, and brought it back from family visits.
Unbelievable scent and taste, not sure if it was strictly artisanale, or something similar is made on a professional scale. So it's all relative.

(as for the heathen and convict part, in case you might assume Frank is a nut job, have I formally introduced myself yet ?)

Last edited:
whereas habaneros are usually more of a slow, building burn...

Not mine. More like a baseball bat.

I have been growing them for a long time and there's no tolerance level to speak of. I cook and eat very hot food, but these aren't very hot, they're stupid hot. I don't know why I bother except for the fact they are the nicest smelling pepper around. Even the taste is great for that fraction of a second before my face explodes.

I am going to assume that you've seen the Youtube video of Gordon Ramsay's kids hunting snails.
Yes, it may have been GR that taught me about garden snails.
I have actually injured myself with habaneros <snip> a minute later I was in pain and scrambling for the milk
Next time try salt. Milk slowly washes it off from the top while salt makes you salivate removing the capsicum from the inside.

Question is whether you ever had genuine Pata Negra.

For things like this it only makes sense to compare artisanal products prepared by those who understand at the place they are made (admittedly ham probably travels better than most things). There are hams from pigs fed nothing but chestnuts (?) or some other nut. This can't be very commercially viable except at a high price. As you point out hams from wild boars are certainly going to have a unique taste.

I think it was the Madrid Open where the hole-in-one prize was your weight in local ham.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Well maybe qusp has eaten the real deal, not sure. I'm not the one saying what's best, these things get known by those who know. Part of my family is from Huelva and I have eaten the real deal there but you can find it in many places - not the pigs, the Pata Negra. Anyway if he likes the prosciutto that's fine, this has started to sound like a cap discussion.

Another possibility is that we don't regard Australians as connoisseurs so we may have sent some junk there.

It is USDA legal and it was acorns that they ate. At these prices ($306 a kilo) I don't think there are comparisons. BTW I personally don't care for ham, but my son brought back a (very) small piece from Spain.

http://www.tienda.com/food/products/jm-09.html?kw={keyword}&gclid=CKyP5c2xm7cCFUIe4QodrywAsg

Not mine. More like a baseball bat.
I don't know why I bother except for the fact they are the nicest smelling pepper around. Even the taste is great for that fraction of a second before my face explodes.

They really do have nice flavor. What I mean by slow is that it seems to take about 30 seconds before the heat registers, then it builds to where you almost can't stand it and slowly fades away... Somehow it gives almost an adrenaline rush - like some of the stinkier cheeses do. Ever had Bierkaese?

OK, I have some issues here Ron.
They really do have nice flavor.
This is not one of the issues I have. :)
What I mean by slow is that it seems to take about 30 seconds before the heat registers,
Uh, ya, uh, Ron?, I'm guessing your peppers have different characteristics than the ones I have. There's no waiting for the pain.
then it builds to where you almost can't stand it and slowly fades away...
No build up, just the smell of them brings a feeling of terror over my entire body.
Somehow it gives almost an adrenaline rush -
Ya sorta, more like the feeling I had when I first saw the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I call it terror.
like some of the stinkier cheeses do. Ever had Bierkaese?
Cheese, really? I've had a number of cheeses that you have to keep out on the balcony as they're not allowed in the house but...really...cheese?

Nope. never had the pleasure of Bierkaese as far as I know. I'll go look it up. I've been known to buy strange things while under the influence so maybe I've let that one slip from the gray matter.

I know we are the same page but just to confirm, this is the pepper of which you speak? I always thought the red ones were called Scotch Bonnets but these were labeled as Red Habanero. This the last of them, that's why they are so small.

Attachments

• habanero - red.jpg
    habanero - red.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 78
Bierkaese: Beer Cheese, how can someone not like that by the name alone? Related to Limburger is it? Sorry my friend, Limburger is only well known because it is acceptable in so many households. I bought some cheese one time, from a Lebanese merchant here in town, not sure of the name right now, but it made Limburger smell like cream cheese. It was so disgusting that it made Durian taste like custard.

I'm almost glad I can't remember the name right now. You had to eat the stuff outside. It wasn't allowed in under any circumstances. It never went bad, even the bugs stayed away.

bought some of the green once.

back in '87.

few drops in the corners of a room runs the insects off ...

```````````````````````````````````````````````

519533c3a619d.preview-300.jpg

Available until May 31 is the Chocolate Double Animal (cracker) Style Burger.

It is prepared with a brioche bun on top of a “patty” made of chocolate mousse.
It comes with strawberries and mint (the lettuce and tomato) and the cheese is crème fraiche.
A macaroon bun is on the bottom.
Want fries with that? No problem.
They’re served on the side and made of puff pastry.

Oh, and May is also National Stroke Awareness Month.

Chocolate Burger on the Menu at L.A. Market - Los Angeles Downtown News - For Everything Downtown L.A.!: Restaurants

Bierkaese: Beer Cheese, how can someone not like that by the name alone? Related to Limburger is it?

I'm almost glad I can't remember the name right now. You had to eat the stuff outside. It wasn't allowed in under any circumstances. It never went bad, even the bugs stayed away.

Proably the biggest disconnect is real Munster vs what we make here, high on the stinkiness scale. There is a family of fresh cheeses of which Handkaese is a member, I was introduced to it as "dead man's fingers with music". Many countries have an equivalent, very high on the stinkiness scale.

I was also surprised that there are traditional cheeses that are enjoyed by locals when ammoniated with anerobic spoilage. I don't think you will find an importer/expert that does not consider this a defect. So the deepest end of stink is in Sardinia with the illegal maggot ripened cheese.