The food thread

Account Closed
Joined 2010
Dreamth you have a masterful way of buzz killing. Reread your last post and see if you suddenly feel like a snack. Why do I have a feeling that post will be reported?
Not sure i understand all the words here and the post i took a quote from, but i simply had the same feeling about that raw meat smell experience...it doesn't feel human to me.Same as it didn't feel human that guy killing a bunny...which proved to be a killer instinct 10 years later.I may be wrong here, it would be better to be wrong on this...i never liked meat too much...i can understand the bussiness as any other bussiness, not the pleasure of smelling and handling raw meat...It was just an impression I had.
He's a very good electronics engineer too , his master was in digital coding and we were very good friends, he even helped me with money when my mother got cancer...but his hunting stories as he used to be a hunter too were weird...really weird...Not saying it's the same thing here, i only had the same feeling reading the lines I quoted.
https://evz.ro/buliga-criminalul-brasov-motivatie.html/amp
https://www.stirilekanald.ro/crimin...e-plateasca-despagubiri-exclusiv-20064057/amp
He's got life in prison and I tried to talk to him but I am not allowed.He is not allowed to be contacted by anyone for the rest of his life except his close family members.
He liked all sorts of raw meat too...he used his hunting knife to kill his familly...
Things like this happen...even more shoking when it happen to one of your closest friends who lost his minds although being quite a knowledgeable person, also an expert in electronics...Nobody would have thought this can happen to him...and his wife was such a kind person you wouldn't believe...
I think madness is something that can happen to anyone as the seeds are there in anyone...We are taught to keep that rage inside and keep civil, but power and money can get it out on the surface no matter how many shools we attended or how many high class friends we have.The guy got to be a millionaire in euros in a matter of 5 years by selling some medical devices through a fraudulent scheme ...All his familly got in the "wellness" bussiness....Before that he was fixing TV sets.I wish he'd never get out of his small eletronics bussiness ...As a hunter though he used to serve wild boar , bear meat etc...and also met very rich guys enjoying very expensive meals in nature...so he wanted to be one of those guys too, on top of the food chain.Now he's toast..

Last edited:
People have been killing/eating animals since before being able to walk upright (we have canine teeth) and I imagine prior to zippo inventing fire we ate it raw like every other carnivore/omnivore.
Unfortunately as a inherently violent species we’ve probably been snapping on our families for just as long, but I fail to see a connection. ;)

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Or in my case 'had canine teeth' They all got pulled to make space by the orthodontist. We are after all the apex preditor, at least until that invisible alien guy comes back.

When I was a carnivore I did wonder why some people ate meat but were twitchy about seeing whole carcasses. Growing up the butcher had sides of pork hanging in the shop as well as unplucked pheasants and other dead things. On the wall were pictures of the animals marked by where the cuts come from. Gave me a healthy understanding. Later on the butcher I used 2000-2010 had to put the name of the pig/cow and where it lived on the wall so you knew where it came from:D. Funnily enough he couldn't kill his own chickens...

I blame supermarkets. Bland tasteless minimum cost meat all wrapped up with nary a 'this went oink' on it!

Reactions: 1 user
Chickens are quite difficult to kill, they keep on flappin/kickin for sometime after snapping their neck or even severing their head…….the only other thing i’ve seen move so much after death is reptiles/amphibians as in snakes/turtles/frogs. Some people (even though they may be used to it) find it quite off putting.

Killing things (or not) for food is a choice and I respect the vegan/vegetarian choice but tying a lust for meat or the joys involved with procuring it start to finish (hunting/farming……slaughtering/butchering) to murdering people is a bit ludicrous. Though those that take pleasure in killing things just for the sake of killing things should be looked at over the shoulder a bit more often! :LOL:

or someone's pet.
Uh, no. Apart from the fact we're deep in the country here, he has permission to clear pest rabbits from one particular farm only. The last thing that farmer would allow his kids would be pet rabbits. They are, and have been, an introduced pest in Australia for a very long time.

A lot of people supplement their meagre diet during the Depression years with rabbit stew, and my grandfather occasionally presented us with an excess bunny when I was a youngster so I know the taste of it. This has changed significantly since the 1996 Port Arthur massacre, when all non-registered weapons down to the size of a 0.177 air gun had to be handed in to the local police station. So you don't see the prevalence of sporting 0.22 rifles (or ex-WWI 303's) that you did when I was growing up. The upshot is that people don't hunt any more.

Besides, with the chemicals they've used to try to eradicate the buggers I'm not sure they'd be too tasty any more. Mixomatosis, 1080 poison, all sorts of crap.

I have no issue eating meat but I'd be a bit squeamish about shooting animals. Fishing, on the other hand, I have no problem with at all.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
You have no sense of humour :p

My mother used to bring rabbits home for the pot. Apparantly growing up her brother had bred rabbits for eating and somehow never managed to get to killing them.

'WWI 303' those Lee Enfield's got everywhere :) I couldn't hit a barn door with those so any critters would be safe with me.

Account Closed
Joined 2010
Chickens are quite difficult to kill, they keep on flappin/kickin for sometime after snapping their neck or even severing their head…….the only other thing i’ve seen move so much after death is reptiles/amphibians as in snakes/turtles/frogs. Some people (even though they may be used to it) find it quite off putting.

Killing things (or not) for food is a choice and I respect the vegan/vegetarian choice but tying a lust for meat or the joys involved with procuring it start to finish (hunting/farming……slaughtering/butchering) to murdering people is a bit ludicrous. Though those that take pleasure in killing things just for the sake of killing things should be looked at over the shoulder a bit more often! :LOL:
Living from time to time in the country side and being the only male there I had to kill alot of chickens, turkeys and small puppies as my aunt kept 5...7 dogs unleashed, and there was no need anywhere for puppies nor there were any animal protection ngo's(besides we had a big scandal in Bucharest after a 4 years old kid was killed by dogs in a park as there were about 60 000 free dogs on the streets and the ngo's were called, but they just took the dogs from Bucharest and released them in the country side hundreds of miles away...) , but I never liked it, nor I could imagine enjoying the smell of their meat ...I can understand that some of us aren't completely domesticated, but internalizing those ancient feelings can lead to drama and apparently I knew the real Hanibal Lecter...The guy I showed in the links had a master in electronics and was also a hunter for pleasure ...that internalized pleasure made him make no difference between rabbits and his own kids...I can understand if he had some problems with his wife and got violent, but I cannot understand being cool headed while stabbing your kids in the heart. When I was a kid i remember that as kids we were more cruel with small animals , still can't remember anyone to enjoy smelling or eating raw, fresh snakes or kittens...The adults used to punish us in all ways if they caught us being cruel with animals and I think there's a good reason for that.
We have to kill for food, but as humans we are not allowed to like it...that was our lesson as kids.The pig was killed once a year and it was fried first for its smell to change so that nor the dogs or the kids learn the smell of pig's raw meat, you don't cut it just like that.
If the guy was living in the US he had a chance to lethal injection...At least he's left to think about his own tragedy for the rest of his life here while the state gives him a shelter and food.Besides he still had a few million euros in his bank account at the time of his trial.He refused to pay her wife's parents a penny...not sure about the final verdict on that matter.Prior to the welness familly bussiness she was a pretty good economist working at a bank and having higher wages than him.

Last edited:
Memorial lunch for my FIL, 3 years since his passing.

Attachments

• IMG_0599.jpeg
    IMG_0599.jpeg
    345.7 KB · Views: 33
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Tony, I have eaten tons of Feta but to the best of my knowledge, not goat cheese. Mediterranean salads here would be made with Feta.

Left handed people actually have an advantage in life. They are forced to use their off hand so it becomes more skilled whereas a righty always has righty things so lefty is just and arm-like stump.

Goat cheese is sweeter than feta. Given I was born in God's Place right on the Mediterranean, I figure I'm a bit of an authority on such things! ;-) The American Notion of the Mediterranean Salad is as fake as a Deep Dish Pizza from Chicago... want pizza? Go to Napoli... although I've had a very good facsimile in NYC and Hoboken ( don't laugh, NJ has truly awesome places to eat ).

Give it a try, with walnuts.. use escarole, red onions, olives, wine vinegar, olive oil. Indeed, the Catalan salads of my youth all used escarole not the standard "lettuce" we see in our markets. True the Niçoise Salad is also awesome... hmm.. I might make one tonight.

BTW, hint... goat cheese on a cracker or a toasted slice of good bread, drizzled with honey ( dang it, I'm getting hungry now ) is a also awesome.

I've broken my right arm three times ( left only once... yeah, call my a klutz ). So, early on I learned how to use my left hand as well. Given I'm right handed, if I use my left hand the natural way to write, it comes out in a mirror image. To use my "sinister" hand to write the "right" way I have to think about it, but it works. Absent a bidet, it's good to be bidextrous.... Oh... TMI.

But, for my turntable, I think using the left hand is impossible unless you are using the cue... and for some reason, the tonearm of my LP12 tends to drift a bit if I use the cue mechanism so I lower it by hand. If I break my right arm again -God Forbid- I will be stuck with digital sources.

Like I wrote, it's a sinister plot.

Latin : sinistra, sinistr-ae f.

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
As I mentioned about functioning brains…

When I grew up my grandmother would make chicken soup for Sunday Dinner -in the winter. It was quite good but it had oil fats floating around the broth. The soup was the first dish, followed by salad, meats/fish and dessert. A typical Catalan Sunday Dinner.

I had to eat the soup if I wanted more food.

I hated the oil floating on my soup but loved the salad and the rest... so my yaya and I made a deal: she would serve me the only the broth -chicken on the side- and I would "drink" it through a straw so I could avoid the oils floating on the surface.

I'm not quite sure if I used my right or sinister side to hold he straw.

There!

DIY Salsa -- this because my wife is doing the Manash University food sensitivity analysis and can't use garlic or onion powder, and very few items which have soy:

1 small can petite diced tomatoes, no salt
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 shallot, chopped
chillies to taste
1/2 tsp white pepper
1 or 2 tbsp mild vinegar (rice vinegar)
juice of a lime

Put it into the Oster blender and give it a spin.