The food thread

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Once I discovered chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, I couldn't get enough of the sauce. I would mix a bit of it in my scrabbled eggs, heat up some corn tortillas, and add a bit of fresh grated cheese. What a breakfast! (PSA - I cringe everytime I hear the word pronounced "che-POLTY" on FoodNetwork.)

Cal - our version of Frugal Gourmet (Jeff Smith) had a bit of a train wreck towards the end of his life. I was confused at first by what you posted until I realized you were talking about the Canadian personality.

straight up Heinz on his Ma Po.

Glazing putty, imo. (and tempeh is even worse)

Single way I manage to swallow tofu is cutting it in 0.2'' slices, fry them in oil, which turns the tofu inside into a porous texture.
Then cut the slices in small cubes and marinate them, e.g. a mix of soy sauce/chili/garlic. Only way to get some real flavor in that stuff.

Simmered, it's like dropping putty balls in a sauce.
Couple of weeks ago, I went to a reservation only restaurant, best prepared tofu and tempeh I've tried in 44 years time, still glazing paste.
YMMV.

Cal - our version of Frugal Gourmet (Jeff Smith)

Yes, over the years those lines tend to blur. James Barber really was the Urban Peasant not the Frugal Gourmet, but both shows were on the telly around the same time so I tend to misplace these things. Different personalities but equal in their teachings. James Barber was the Uncle that everyone wanted.

Chicken stock the way it should be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwmYlbAOXSU

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Spent some time in Dallas this weekend. My daughter made the state competition for the cupcake battle against 17 other high school students. We even had time for a little scandal in the competition.;)

We stopped off in West, Texas yesterday, site of the fertilizer explosion. Town seems to be rebounding from the tragedy and the supply of fruit kolaches is unstoppable! My wife hates them because she can't eat just one. :D

SY is wayyyy too young to recall My Three Sons.

But old enough to remember Tommy (and seen the Who on that tour, with Jethro Tull as an opening act).

Mmmm, kolaches! Haven't had them since I left Austin, but the Mexican bakery down the street has some things that are awfully similar.

We even had time for a little scandal in the competition.

Didn't that violate the conditions of your parole?