Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

The food thread
The food thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th December 2017, 03:27 PM   #8391
scott wurcer is offline scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
By hotter, do you meaner faster? That has certainly been my experience.
That would be an interesting study, playing with the sous vide has peaked my interest in the thermodynamics of the process. It's certainly a combination of radiation and conduction to the hot air. So just like a heat sink the moving air enhances conduction.

BTW my biggest problem with ovens is hysteresis, for some reason my last oven had a lot. My test was to let it come up to temp and wait 15 min or so and restart and I could get as much as 25 degrees catch up doing this.
Old 29th December 2017, 04:42 PM   #8392
DPH is offline DPH  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm sure a lot of ovens are like that. We have a scrap piece of 1/4 stainless that is almost rack size, which I certainly helps with oven spring, but I haven't thought to characterize thermal stability. It has to help lengthen the time constant.
Old 29th December 2017, 04:59 PM   #8393
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

The food thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenusFly View Post
This is different from the seaweed used with sushi preparation, this Kombu seaweed is...
...called kelp around here and is readily available dried like you show. Fresh kelp we have to go rather far afield as our local waters are not suitable for harvest.
Old 29th December 2017, 10:14 PM   #8394
nezbleu is offline nezbleu  Canada
diyAudio Member

The food thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
That would be an interesting study, playing with the sous vide has peaked my interest in the thermodynamics of the process. It's certainly a combination of radiation and conduction to the hot air. So just like a heat sink the moving air enhances conduction.

BTW my biggest problem with ovens is hysteresis, for some reason my last oven had a lot. My test was to let it come up to temp and wait 15 min or so and restart and I could get as much as 25 degrees catch up doing this.
Yes I think convection oven are "faster" at the "same" temp setting, because of the better heat transfer to the food. My LG range automatically reduces the thermostat setting by 25 degrees if convection is selected. (It has 2 convection settings, bake and roast. Roast is full-time fan, bake is intermittent.). The temperature reduction is optional, however.

I think the convection fan reduces hysteresis considerably because the heated air is moved around and so 1) is cooled by contact with the food and 2) causes the air to pass over the sensor, so it is sensing oven temperature rather than just one part of the oven. I certainly notice what you describe: If I set the oven to "bake" (conventional, no fan) at 350F, and it reaches temperature, then I set it to "convection roast" at 350F, which the oven converts to 325F, it still takes time to get up to temperature.

My wife won't use the convection settings because they were unknown to her mother. I won't use anything besides convection. It gives great results, and reduces cook times.
Old 30th December 2017, 12:08 AM   #8395
simon7000 is offline simon7000  United States
diyAudio Member

Baking the big round of bread today. Thanks for the recipe.
Old 30th December 2017, 12:37 AM   #8396
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

The food thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
BTW my biggest problem with ovens is hysteresis
I replaced an oven with this issue when we moved into our new NJ house -- it also cycles poorly, too wildly in fact to maintain temperature for yeast doughs.

If you ask me, this energy saving mantra is crap for baking. A triumph of calculus over common sense.
Old 30th December 2017, 05:49 AM   #8397
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

The food thread
Well I may be luckier than you others but I have 4 convection ovens here and I don't use any of them in 'regular' mode anymore.
Old 30th December 2017, 09:43 AM   #8398
simon7000 is offline simon7000  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
Well I may be luckier than you others but I have 4 convection ovens here and I don't use any of them in 'regular' mode anymore.
I take that to mean you don't bake. Next we can discuss the need for four ovens! Can I assume they are at least different sizes?

Then there is the interesting issue of having the ultra deluxe kitchen and using ingredients that many others would throw out!

(I do have to admit in your photo essays you do demonstrate excellent portion size control!!!)
Old 30th December 2017, 02:00 PM   #8399
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

The food thread
Hi Ed,
Correct, I don't do the baking around here. I'll have to ask if she uses convection or not.
The 4 ovens? Simple, the range is a dual, the OTR is a combo oven/microwave and the countertop unit.
And yes I agree, some people are so wasteful with food.
Old 30th December 2017, 08:41 PM   #8400
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

simon - I've known Cal long enough that I think the portion control may be something new - of course, the cumulative consumption of many small servings can getcha just as bad

The food threadHide this!Advertise here!