The food thread

Couple of decades ago, on holiday abroad, I got a request for pork liver.
After a 15 minute debate, I gave in, reluctantly.

At the butcher's, I was laughed at and ridiculed by the butcher and his two collegues.
Never again.

What was the context, lots of cultures use pork liver? I once absentminedly walked into a Kosher meat market and asked for pork chops:rolleyes:.

I miss my local ethnic butchers, veal and beef hearts and tongues.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
ahhh, shredded beef tongue in hot corn tortillas with a little salt and some salsa. Que sabroso!!!

I also had a wonderful grilled kebab in Lima made from beef hearts. My wife is still waiting for me to duplicate the recipe.

Hmmm, not sure if SY is kidding or not re. the mayo. :D

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Wow, there's a chemist at Kraft crying right now!! hahaha

Everyone contributes some nice photos here and interesting food. Is there a thread where anyone has contributed their guilty pleasures? I don't consider nachos food but for some odd reason I want them from time to time.

Mainly an Asian thing (at the time I was married into a half Chinese, half Indonesian family)

South European nations are large-scale pork consumers, Italy, Spain, France.
They draw the line for organ meat, e.g. terrine paté in France will always contain cow/veal liver, never pork.

As for mayo, me just had a salad with a vinaigrette of homey mayonnaise, sour cream, extra dash of olive oil, white wine vinegar, S&P, + DIY truffle oil.
Slurp !

(Plus 4lb hot out of the oven Hispanic spiced free-ranger poultry. Had the chica still been alive, she had pooped out more fresh garlic than Tom Thumb had breadcrumbs )

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
My other guilty pleasure when I was young..strawberry pop-tarts. High cuisine!!! :D

Didn't realize such an aversion to mayo or as the chemists call it in tech jargon, 'pus'.

Scott, I'm making lomo saltado for my wife next week. I think that is how I got her to say yes to my marriage proposal. ;)

I call it chicken's menstruation :rolleyes:
The egg :D
Think about it, oil is nothing more than sunflowers menstruation too, or germs.

sofaspud -

I should have been more clear. I think more along the lines of synth food. You know, nachos with that cheese-like food and generic picked jalapenos on top.

Some people crave twinkies, Chicken McNuggets, etc.
Then this is the appropiate thread, no need to fork (no pun intended :) ).
I am addicted to Doritos, the orange bag ones. And microwave butter flavour pop corn. Every week some bags of each.

Cake cutting fee? What? Never seen that in my life...
It's curious that they point that out while prices are not shown.

Just once in a while, I can eat deep-fried chicken gizzards (with hot sauce).
Lamb gizzards, just fried with garlic, parsley and olive oil. Nothing more. Delicious.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005

Attachments

• IMG_8843.JPG
    IMG_8843.JPG
    187.6 KB · Views: 78