The food thread

Tremendously interesting program on BBC Radio 4 about cooking Curries.

The second hottest one in the repertoire is a Vindaloo. But what is the secret sauce beyond onions, chillies and garlic?

Turns out is Vinegar. Hence Vin. An ingredient unknown to the Sub-continent until the Portuguese turned up. An excellent marriage of cultures, IMO. :D

Attachments

• Great Curries of India Camellia Panjabi.jpg
    Great Curries of India Camellia Panjabi.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 147
  • Vindaloo Curry.jpg
    Vindaloo Curry.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 146
I have been to Bombay (aka Mumbai) myself.

Hands up who knows what a Bombay Duck is? Bombay duck - Wikipedia

No, not a bird! It's a fish! Extremely crunch texture. Slightly salty. Quite yummy in fact. The perfect Hors d'oeuvre.

A propos rien, here is another excellent Curry. Plums with Lamb, served up by London's finest Curry Restaurant. Veeraswarmys in Regent Street.

Attachments

• Lamb with plums (Veeraswarmy Restaurant, London).jpg
    Lamb with plums (Veeraswarmy Restaurant, London).jpg
    94 KB · Views: 138
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Not for me. Funny, where I originally come from, guys that could handle a vindaloo or could drink 10 ales and still stand up straight considered themselves 'men' ;). The hottest curry at the Indian market was 'Mother in-law's tongue'.

I could never do either. I'm still standing though :D

That said, the hottest thing I ever ate was a Thai dish in Tokyo. My wife and I never went back there again.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
TBut what is the secret sauce beyond onions, chillies and garlic?

Turns out is Vinegar. Hence Vin. An ingredient unknown to the Sub-continent until the Portuguese turned up. An excellent marriage of cultures, IMO. :D

Either you were not paying attention or the person doing the talking on the radio had not done his homework. The Vin in Vindalo comes from Vinha. Albeit the Maderia may have turned to vinegar after an ocean voyage packed in with pork salt and garlic.

The Portugese also begat Pav Bhaji when they took over Maharastra (or more correctly after they left).

It also depends on the glassware the bar uses.

I find those glasses interesting. We too have the same glasses in our bars or they sure look like it. The smallest isn't in the mix but the 2nd smallest is called a glass and is a 12 oz glass that is served with 10 oz of beer in it. The larger one is an 18oz glass serving 16oz called a pint, which it is, but only in the USA. There is also the thick walled, straight sided glass caed a pint and the barrel type handled tankards which again are called pints with 18/16 again. Our jugs are also called pitchers and vary in size. Another popular one nowadays is the Flight. 4x5 oz glasses for tasting. Served on a long wood platter.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Actually it appears that we re-defined things in 1824 and you stuck with the old units. I hadn't realised that the difference in a fluid oz was due to UK measuring water and America measuring wine.

Back on food. Tonight's supper was what they refer to in India as a 3-course dinner: Roti, Sabji and Daal. yes its only one course! Sabji tonight was bhindi which I love, despite it being a bit of a marmite vegetable for many. As ever the spice mix is a closely guarded secret passed from mother to daughter.

Probably just didn't think about it, it's easy to say that all your food should be fresh. OTOH I don't think rice improves with age it just keeps a long time if you use reasonable care. When my mother had to be moved to a care facility she still had 50yr. old cans of Durkee seasonings on he shelf (the 15 cent price tags were funny).

Ever see a copy of Ripley's - Believe it or Not?

When Napoleon invaded Egypt he directed a young captain to set up a food 'dump' and this young Frenchman paid a young Arab sheikh to guard this huge buried food dump.

Fast forward to WW1 and North Africa and a young lieutenant in the British army was moving through an Arab community when a messenger from HQ arrived and asked where he could find this lieutenant, this was heard by some Arabs close by. A young Arab boy came to him and through an interpreter told him there was a sheikh that had a message for him.

He was very old and said he had waited a long time for this French captain to return so that he could fulfill his word to the French. The old man made him repeat his name and then told him where the food dump was hidden.

This bemused the British lieutenant who for amusement followed the old man's directions and lo and behold there was a food dump and it was full of tins of food. Because it had been buried quite deep and had kept a permanent temperature for all those years when opened the contents were still edible.

It turned out that the British lieutenant was directly related to Napoleon's captain and of course had the same surname. It turned out that the sheikh was about 16 when he took on the responsibility of guarding the secret dump, so he was over 130 years old!

As long as a tin doesn't rust and is kept at cool temperature it can last an awful long time.