Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

The food thread
The food thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th September 2017, 11:04 PM   #7911
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

The food thread
Driving by a meat place everyday you can't help but see the big sign outside Two can dine for $24.
Specially marinated sirloins, shrimp skewers, bacon and cheddar stuffed potatoes and lobster thermador mushrooms.
Wow, I thought. What a great way for people who are too busy or just not into cooking to do a nice dinner.

Uh ya...

1. While they tasted good, I've never seen two sirloin steaks look so different.
2. The shrimp are fresh water and unseasoned.
3. The mushrooms are large buttons. They were good but...
4. The potatoes are best described as 'woody'.

Now I know why I spend time in the kitchen. Sometimes I wonder if maybe it's time to buy these kind of premade meals so you have more time with your loved ones?

Sorry honey, not this week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0720.jpg (203.3 KB, 56 views)
Old 13th September 2017, 01:59 AM   #7912
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

The food thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
Sometimes I wonder if maybe it's time to buy these kind of premade meals so you have more time with your loved ones?
Wegman's down here does a good job with RTW skew-kabobs.

BJ's "rotisserie chicken"
Old 13th September 2017, 02:02 AM   #7913
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

Robert (son) wasn't feeling good today, so I made a batch of chicken vegetable soup.
Old 13th September 2017, 02:50 AM   #7914
scott wurcer is offline scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinnj View Post
Wegman's down here does a good job with RTW skew-kabobs.

BJ's "rotisserie chicken"
My problem with most take away is what goes in it. The umami thing is overstated IMHO, my chicken soup is always fine with no umami "shortcuts". Pre-roasting well takes care of color and flavor.

Knorr chicken bullion...

Salt, monosodium glutamate, hydrogenated cottonseed oil, chicken fat, hydrolyzed soy/corn protein, dehydrated mechanically separated cooked chicken, dehydrated chicken meat, dehydrated chicken broth, autolyzed yeast extract, dehydrated onions & parsley, lactose, water, colour, spices & spice extract, disodium guanylate ...
Old 13th September 2017, 05:28 AM   #7915
simon7000 is offline simon7000  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
Knorr chicken bullion...

Salt, monosodium glutamate, hydrogenated cottonseed oil, chicken fat, hydrolyzed soy/corn protein, dehydrated mechanically separated cooked chicken, dehydrated chicken meat, dehydrated chicken broth, autolyzed yeast extract, dehydrated onions & parsley, lactose, water, colour, spices & spice extract, disodium guanylate ...
Sounds yummy!

I just made beef barley soup. I tend to buy my meat in large chunks and cut it up. Leaves a bit of bone left over.

Six smallish T bones boiled in sea salted water with a teaspoon of olive oil until the meat scraps fall off. Half a bag of barley simmered at least three hours until the barley is almost the size of a small kernel of corn. That is it.

So where do I get the monosodium glutamate, hydrolyzed soy/corn protein, autolyzed yeast extract, dehydrated onions & parsley, lactose, colour, spices & spice extract, disodium guanylate?

Oh wait I can use "Accent" this is monosodium glutamate.

Now for a bit of meat trivia. When you cook a steak and the juices come out as it sits on a plate, that is a sign the meat was mechanically tenderized.

Your preference as to mechanical or chemical on lower quality meat cuts.

On tough cuts like brisket I prefer cooking with onions! The onions end up quite sweet and it tenderizes the meat if done properly.
Old 13th September 2017, 02:25 PM   #7916
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
Sounds yummy!
Avoiding "free" glutamates is probably impossible, no SY anymore to clarify the difference between them and pure MSG if any. Unfortunately this article does not.

Foods with natural MSG - Business Insider
Old 13th September 2017, 06:20 PM   #7917
DPH is offline DPH  United States
diyAudio Member

Hopefully SY's doing well nonetheless. Plenty of ways to get pure-MSG-like levels from all unrefined ingredients, e.g. mushroom ketchup.
Old 13th September 2017, 07:01 PM   #7918
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPH View Post
Hopefully SY's doing well nonetheless. Plenty of ways to get pure-MSG-like levels from all unrefined ingredients, e.g. mushroom ketchup.
One friends favorite is essence of shiitake flavored soy sauce. I did find some rational discussion of this concerning l-glutamic acid vs others you would know better than me. There is so much vested interest and money involved separating the wheat from the chaff is difficult. All I know is I almost passed out twice immediately after a bowl of miso soup while most of the time I love it. I doubt I will ever get to the bottom of it.

Will be seeing SY in a couple of weeks with Jan.
Old 13th September 2017, 07:23 PM   #7919
soundbrigade is offline soundbrigade  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to soundbrigade
More traditional Swedish dishes, but with a twist.
There's a dish called Pytt i Panna. Pytt has to do with finely chopped 'somethings' and Panna is Pan, i.e. finely chopped products fried in a pan. Normally you use potatoes (raw or cooked), onion and meat or sausage. It's a perfect dish when having leftovers. Served with fried egg and pickled red beets.
This is a slightly high-end version where peperoni is added and finally cream is added and all is left to simmer for 5-10 minutes when ground cheese is added and the dish is served (no eggs no red beet).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3421.JPG (300.7 KB, 37 views)
Old 13th September 2017, 07:27 PM   #7920
DPH is offline DPH  United States
diyAudio Member

We have a really nice, homey, Swedish restaurant here in Portland (brunch anyone?!), and Pytt i Panna is my go-to.

Edit: Scott -- I'm not terribly up to date on where/how people are trying to sneak in "umami" with additives, just wanted to make sure people knew (I'm sure you do) that it's possible to pump a meal with glutamates without touching a jar of MSG.

Last edited by DPH; 13th September 2017 at 07:45 PM.

The food threadHide this!Advertise here!