The food thread

Yes sorry about that, thanks evanc. I was not aware of the Him-a-layin' stuff until now. Pink salt, Prague salt/powder, curing salt it's all the same to me. Somewhere around 6% sodium nitrite in coarse salt. It's what turns the corned beef red.

EDIT: If you are thinking about doing it, as with everything else, it tastes better when you make it and there are recipes on the net and instructions on how to. I do the bag method as I find you get a more even marinading and you need less of the brine.

Damn, now my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

I had a taste of the Carpaccio and it is really nice with the sesame oil.

Piel means Çock in Cheesol.
Which makes a "Chulo sin Piel" a "Pollo sin Cabeza" :clown:

(speaking of "En mi Piel", what a movie. Seen Buika perform live three times over the last year, y que linda. Buika - 'En Mi Piel' preview - YouTube )

Me dos highly cherished kitchen utensils >>

Attachments

• Piel1.JPG
    Piel1.JPG
    273.7 KB · Views: 102
  • Piel2.JPG
    Piel2.JPG
    337.1 KB · Views: 97
Mr Walton,

as a consolation, a way superior Robot coupe from Miss is Sippi requires deep pockets, and their catalogue also hasn't listed the pasta dick utensil for quite a few years.

I still have my StarMix from Germany circa 1973, real castings and machined parts. The Kitchen Aide meatgrinder attachment is all stamped crap.

For Easter we did a leg of Halal spring lamb. I figure there is a bit of irony there.

Is that what gives it the extra flavor? I would think sumac...

I went more Western, garlic, mustard, parsley, and cilantro paste. Cover and let sit a room temp for a couple of hours and sit it on the barbie.

I swear there was a mild brining but I can't find a definitive answer on Halal in that respect. Same with the Halal duck, COSTCO is taking flak from some quarters for carrying it.

StarMix from Germany circa 1973, real castings and machined parts.

That's the problem these days, companies that manufacture plastic-geared also do casting & SS guts, but for the pro market at exponential retail.

Couple of decades ago, I had a meat slicer craving. (eeh, what's new)
Started with a 75% plastic, horizontal feed amateur cheapo, took about a month to really get on my nerve.
Next, gravity feed, still a load of plastic and lack of gravitational mass pull, lasted a year before it fell apart.
And another one, and yet another anxiety attack.
A dozen years ago, I grabbed the first opportunity to get a secondhand 12'' pro heavyweight, overhauled the inside and had the blade sharpened.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/lounge/182567-food-thread-29.html#post3298633

By Xmas, I get a 12-16lb Serrano or Pata Negra on the bone, cut a chunk out, and presto, 10mil servings for eight in a couple of minutes.
A 5lb roastbeef or home made pastrami for Easter breakfast, just as fast and easy.
For a clean-shaved prosciutto, carpaccio, and fugu style sashimi aficionado, there aren't any options left, other than time- & tiresome by hand again.

Berkel or Hobart special and/or newer model gravity slicers still do figures of $5K to $10K. Berkel USA.
(fully automatics as e.g. a Berkel SE300 starts at $9K ex tax)
The classic models, as e.g. the Berkel 300, have gone up to 4-5K new half a decade ago, down to around $2000 currently.
(the 90lb up super league, the 10'' blade and 60lb types are between 1000 and 1500 dollars)
Means that if I sell my slicer tomorrow, 12 years of use cost little or nothing.

Amusing trivia : afaig, a rejuvenated Berkel manual flywheel slicer in classic red, vintage Holland original, costs the same as a made elsewhere new one.
The most sought after model in premium condition does multiple times that amount. Berkel meat slicer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm still looking for a couple of vintage cooking utensils, that my mom used before she hit the liquor highway, hard to track down in decent condition.

Attachments

• Berkel foto 1898.jpg
    Berkel foto 1898.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
That's the problem these days, companies that manufacture plastic-geared also do casting & SS guts, but for the pro market at exponential retail.

Berkel or Hobart special and/or newer model gravity slicers still do figures of $5K to $10K. Berkel USA.
(fully automatics as e.g. a Berkel SE300 starts at $9K ex tax)

For these I would search out the no reserve absolute bankrupcy auctions, frequently 10 cents on the dollar. Restaurants go under here at an amazing frequency.

10 cents on the dollar.

As residential property on ebay, and what not in the midst of a recession ?
Beauty of living in a waste society.

Major difference, personal bankruptcy here haunts one for the remainder.Took my gardner/friend 20 years to get rid of his, and he's an exceptional character, don't ask what kinds of "activities" he got into in the two decade period.
Start-up companies generally have a sole proprietorship registration, no liability protection. On the other hand, not a dog eat dog market.
Sometimes there are 10 cent on the dollar auction opportunities, but that requires buying an entire kitchen/restaurant inventory for half a million bucks.

The oil tanker and bulk carrier market during a recession is 10c/$, e.g. Onassis often bought for 5, and sold for 50 within a 5-year period.
The yacht bizz during a dip is 20c/$, previous hefty one in the late '90s. Fire sale right now, thanks to the US bubble, Greece, Cyprus. YeeHa.
(for MSc, me maritime business degree major, innovative design second, aka stock market games with my own professor, and ship buy/sell tennis practice with his Greek collegue at R'dam-U. Took a 1/4 share in a $250k vessel in Spain an hour ago, good for >$1.1m in a couple of years time on the 7-year wave ladder)

Speaking of clubbing, 1 of the 5-partnership radiologists I worked under in my medical days was in a cooking & eating club.
The ultrasound ladida expert of the quintet asked me to do sous-chef when it was his cooking turn.
Fun to do, and he was in bed with Philips medical systems in Best, close to Eindhoven.
The servitude side-show reward was a CD100 at home for a month in '82, one of ~10 pre-release customer feedback models, even had to do survey paperwork.

There, Food and Audio on-topic !

Last edited:
I think that the plastic gears are a safety feature. It's no big deal these days to find the correct brass gear on the web if you want to replace. Our Kitchen-Aid sausage maker and meat grinder are Korean War era purchased at a house sale in Shaker Hts. To me, they are only of numismatic value.

fwiw, the poppy seed we get for desserts is from Holland, not Afghanistan.

Not a whole lot of cash in Delft Blue nowadays. :clown:

(my brother in law got into a private equity partnership after cashing in a percentage as a hired hand on a $65m polish-up project. considered taking over a blue pottery business, figured it wiser to invest in a company that manufactures professional potato peeling machines, and in an obesity clinic 5-chain. Hey, Food again.)