The food thread

Ha, 4 hrs was not enough. Took the bird out of the smoker and put it in the oven for an expected 2 hrs more.

On the other hand I added a pack of Johnsonville brauts to the smoker along with a pack of local Brauts, Johnsonville Chorizo and a package of Knockwurst. The sausage was fantastic with baked beans, potato salad, Three Bean Salad and bread. We will have the chicken tomorrowl

Attachments

• Snausage.jpg
    Snausage.jpg
    356.9 KB · Views: 127
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Since I suggested turkey tacos, here's our constantly-evolving seasoning mix, the proportions I'm using today. Bottom right word is "Salt" -- feel free to leave it out completely if you prefer. Capital T is tablespoon (14.3 grams), lowercase t is teaspoon (4.2 grams)

The original ancestor to our recipe came from the terrific website Mexican Please which is where we learned about El Potrero Trading Post in Chimayo, New Mexico. EPTP sells top quality, New Mexico grown, dried chile powder and chile flakes. Best of all, they offer both oven-dried and sun-dried chiles, at quite reasonable prices. Well worth investigating if you take chiles seriously.

_

Attachments

• taco_seasoning.JPG
    taco_seasoning.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 124
6kg of pork back ribs in the brine, ready for smoking on the weekend.
2:1 sugar to salt and a Cal sized helping of garlic. A couple Tbsp. of Prague #1 as I have no way of keeping it cooler than the patio. The sweet and garlic for the Mrs, the smoky for Calhoun. It's all about compromise.

No chili whatsoever. I have disappointed myself ;)

Last edited:
Yup!
Because the old one was a real clunker and is over at my other place, I rarely used it. Here, at the townhouse, I was worried about excess smoke bothering the neighbours. Turns out it is very controlled and will not tick them off nor will it alert the fire department. I am kicking myself for not getting it earlier.
I have the Bradley 6 shelf but with only the two of us, I could easily make do with the 4 shelf.

I had a NJ friend who was an avid hunter and fisherman -- and he had a smoker -- one of the best things I ever 'et were the smoked oysters, mussels and duck which he smoked in the back yard. (He was a member of "Ducks Unlimited").

Us, on the other side of the street had a neighbor behind us with "smoker gone wild" -- and one time several neighbors called the fire department.

Fall cooking, 2nd edition. After walnuts, I received a pumpkin.

Here' the result. :p Speculoos crust, chopped caramelized pecan nuts on top.

A slight mistake was to caramelize the nuts in big chunks (it's easier to avoid burning them) and chopping them further down after they cooled. The dust created removed the glossy caramel look. Oh well, they taste just the same.

Attachments

• IMG_20201025_100038.jpg
    IMG_20201025_100038.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20201025_131516.jpg
    IMG_20201025_131516.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 74