The food thread

Well a GOOD Jalapeno has distinctive flavor, not at all like a bell pepper.
I was really referring to the Scoville units not the actual taste. ;)
Not very hot, but flavorful.
Jalapenos are an ok flavour. Easy to control and cook with.
Those light green skinny things that have no flavor at all for example.
I'm not sure what pepper to which you refer but I find every pepper has it's own character. The Habanero family for example have a very distinctive flavour for those first few milliseconds before your face spontaneously combusts. I like using them in vinegar based sauces rather than fresh. The Red Savinas I have only take about a half dozen peppers for 500ml of sauce. It, in turn though, doesn't match the Trinidad Scorpion by a long shot, but I have no use for that. :)

I researched Mole recipes last fall but gave up when I learned the preparation took days, and the ingedients were said to be hard to find (hard to find in Mexico, that is). However I found an easy Mexican recipe for almond chicken and added one of the Lindt Chili Bars to it. Very good indeed.

But now if you will excuse me I have to return to the preparation of my Chicken Mechoui for dinner tonight.

Cookies for tea break, in simple 12 steps.

1. Melt 1/2 cup of butter
2. Add 1/2 cup of brown sugar
3. Add 1 cup of almond flour
4. Add 1 cup of non-bleached flour
5. Add 1/2 cup of semolina
6. Add 2 eggs
7. Ad 2 tea spoons of Amaretto liqueur
8. Mix thoroughly
9. Roll balls of walnut size
10. Place them about 1" apart on baking sheet
11. Bake 10-12 minutes in 400F oven
12. Enjoy!

You will find no two Pad Thai dishes to be the same, it's a rather generic thing. I like to use tamarind and lime juice for the sour and palm sugar for the sweet. Use very fresh cold bean sprouts at the very end; they aren't cooked in order to give a texture and temperature contrast. Crushed roasted peanuts, NOT peanut butter! I found a vegetarian Worcestershire sauce (Bulldog) that substitutes for the fish sauce. Thai bird chiles perk things a bit, and a squirt or two of Sriracha during the stir frying gives a nice color.

I researched Mole recipes last fall but gave up when I learned the preparation took days, and the ingedients were said to be hard to find (hard to find in Mexico, that is). However I found an easy Mexican recipe for almond chicken and added one of the Lindt Chili Bars to it. Very good indeed.

But now if you will excuse me I have to return to the preparation of my Chicken Mechoui for dinner tonight.

I managed Diana Kennedy's recipe 30yr. ago, but we have (had) a small Mexican community with a good shop. She does mention that it takes a village to make one. I did the whole turkey thing, lots of work.

Her first book is essential, though my Texan friends think "that's not Mexican food".

Last edited: