The food thread

Interestingly weetabix is an australian creation, but made in UK since 1932 at the same site near where I grew up. Weetabix as bought in the USA is a lot lighter colour that the British form.

Of course owned by Post now...

I’ve got a soft spot for those McVitie’s digestives (chocolate covered of course)

I wonder if they’re the same as yours?

The ocean perch was indistinguishable from tilapia (Scott you put that in my head) but it was served with lovely fresh peas and buttery sauce so who cares. I would go back in a heartbeat if only to nibble olives and try some more cocktails.

:D Perch here is a goto for a fairly neutral white fish anyway.

I would worry about how the whole GMO fish thing is going to turn out. There seems to be a big resistance to identifying it (surprise).

Just FYI the interior of eggs is no longer considered sterile.

Not long ago, we didn't think twice about the safety of raw eggs. Eggnogs and Caesar salad were popular foods made with raw eggs. We knew that the surface of the eggshell could be contaminated, so we washed eggs before handling. But the inside of the egg was thought to be sterile or germ-free, so there were no worries about the safety of raw or lightly cooked eggs. Salmonella enteritidis changed all that!! These bacteria have been found inside the egg, making any raw egg a potential source of foodborne illness.

I always thought it was Canadian

Wiki says the Aussies started the dastardly problem, the UK came up with a similar version and, being one of the colonies, it was forced onto our shores. Don't feel bad Nez. Many of us had it forced on us as children. Recovery has been slow, but the demons are almost purged.

Last edited:
Two raw eggs in a glass topped off with tomatoe juice/ v8 with liberal amounts to Tabasco sauce used to be my hangover cure.......back in the day it was 2-3+ times a week, never once got sick.
I think your immune system needs a constant workout to be tip top.....that is except for those that are immune compromised of course.

Not sure the raw eggs are the best recommendation. Them things hittin' the back of your throat at that point would do something serious to the gag reflex. I'm thinkin' that might undo all you were trying to accomplish.

Back in days of Saturday morning hangovers, we used to smoke a little bit of BC bud, grab a weak Bloody Mary and tell ourselves 'we will never do this again.' Noon comes around and we were back on the horse making sure those 'other guys' never out-did us.

To this day, I have people reminding me, they used to see us drinking beer or bloody mary's at 8am on the balcony, getting primed for NFL and CFL football is something they make sure I never forget.

That's why I use an alias name and avatar.

Oh wait.

Last edited:
Frank Sinatra's "Live at the Las Vegas Sands" 1978

I have a kind of "guilty secret" fave recording from Vegas, a Buddy Rich record "Keep the Customer Satisfied" recorded live at the Tropicana, at 03:00AM, after three sets, in 1970 (label is Liberty, LST11006), just one of those perfect recordings. Produced by Richard Brock, M+S overall stereo mic plus 19 fill mics.

There is a song on side 2 thar features a very complex, unison part for the whole reed section. When they finish that section there is applause from the audience and someone shouts "Yeah!". I knew my vinyl playback system was starting to get where I want it when I played that song and suddenly, after 40 years, realized that the guy who yelled was not in the audience but was Buddy.