The food thread

The tomato rocks are now ripening, but it's been a year of poor yields and a race to pluck them before they become blighted. Will have to seriously fence in a different part of the garden.

I think I am going to pull them up and put in some beets and beans which will begin to mature in September.

Such a peculiar year --

@simon -- I think there's a Primanti's near Grove City.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I didn't plant any tomatoes this year. But they grew all the same. Including a wheelbarrow full! Long story but needed to empty once of the compost bins and left it in the barrow. Barrow now full of tomato plants. Which is a pain as I need the barrow!

Chillis are only just flowering this year. It has been an odd one for weather. But a good runner bean crop.

56 years old and I just learned that an Ox is a nutless bull.

Where have I been all my life?

So then what's a steer? Is an ox just a steer that hasn't been butchered?

When I was a kid we went to Bridgewater for their Exhibition, or stayed home in Halifax and went to the Forum for the Atlantic Winter Fair, and in both venues watched the Ox Pull competitions. When you are up close to a pair of oxen weighing about a ton, in their wooden oxbow harness, pulling a load of several tons, snorting and straining, it makes a strong impression.

So then what's a steer? Is an ox just a steer that hasn't been butchered?

Judging by Google's response, it's determined by the age at which they lost their 'manhood'. I have always known what a steer vs. bull was but I am still shell shocked by the fact I had no idea that an Ox was not actually a different animal. Even with only two brain cells left, I am glad I can still learn. No matter that I feel stupid as hell learning something like that at this age.

No laughing please, I am feeling very distraught over this. :D

I think the differentiation is very dated. An ox was supposedly made docile and used as a work animal and not primarily raised for food. I think the use of oxen is long gone in many places.

Yes I don't think they are used as draught animals any more around here, but I think they still have ox pulls at fairs. It seems like a big commitment to keep a team of animals and their gear for a few events. They are beautiful animals esp when decorated with brasses etc.

Lots of string beans, having to freeze some, too many, tired of eating them. Made a bean salad yesterday with the steamed yellow wax beans, running out of bean recipes. Sweet million tomatoes, plentiful, better boy, heirloom getting close, cannabis nice as well, starting to bud, if done right, monsters this year with all the sun/heat, irrigation is required or sticks. Had some fresh white potatoes from the farmer, tasty.
That's funny Cal, if it helps, I thought the same as you. How about an Ox is a cross between a wildebeest and a hereford? :) I do not even know if it is possible.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I went picking beans over the weekend and the birds have been at them so my crop has been reduced by about 70%. Grump.

Ref the Ox. you hear about 'ox cart' not 'bull cart'. An entire bull is around 850kg of testosterone fuelled horny (some breeds are over a ton). They are only calm(ish) when they are surrounded by their women. You would not want to pull a cart/plough with one of those as the first sight of a cow and they would be off. Fences will not stop them. I'm a wuss so generally keep a wall between me and a bull. And not a dry stone wall either.

(and yes I know cows are far more dangerous but you have to be very silly to go in a field where there are cows and calves unless you are the farmer).