The food thread

**** on a shingle.

aka, chipped beef on toast

This is my childhood.... except mom made a proper béchamel of nothing but thyme, sage, and the really good stuff directly from Dutch Pennsylvania. Over the most tender buttermilk biscuits, barely kneaded into rough balls that baked while I helpingly stirred said gravy. S**t that was definitely not! It was heaven.

This is my childhood.... except mom made a proper béchamel of nothing but thyme, sage, and the really good stuff directly from Dutch Pennsylvania. Over the most tender buttermilk biscuits, barely kneaded into rough balls that baked while I helpingly stirred said gravy. S**t that was definitely not! It was heaven.

Growing up we used to have a complete set of ‘drinking glasses’ from the jars the beef came in......I wonder if they still make it?

Yes, they do. There are two sizes. I prefer the larger ones.

One of my son's favorite meals is chipped beef over waffles.

Biscuits are a good second. And, oddly enough I will be having it for breakfast tomorrow morning as there is a container in the refrigerator with the last biscuit and chipped beef gravy.

Another favorite is SOS made with ground beef. I remember it from my youth and from the military. Basically hamburger scrambled and drained. Add diced onions, flour, salt, pepper, milk and make into a beef gravy. Ladle over toast.

Attachments

• DriedBeef.jpg
    DriedBeef.jpg
    479.2 KB · Views: 125
Last edited: