The food thread

There's another one I have come to learn much about. When I grew up it meant a pot over an active heater of cheese, oil, soup stock or chocolate and you used little forks to dip things into. It was a pain in the a$$ and took hours to get enough to eat...

...then I met my Vietnamese wife. My, how things change when you open your eyes to how they do it in other parts of the world. I now am a fondue fan.

So for a fondue ala Vietnamese...

You take one of those gas burner type things and a divided pot as shown. In the centre part of the pot you put a spicy kind of broth like Tom Yum with a little chili in oil and whatever else, for the meat and seafood, and in the outside you put a chicken type stock that is less flavourful for the greens.

The meat can be beef or chicken, shrimp, squid, mussels, octopus, cuttlefish or W.H.Y. Just make sure it is sized so it will cook in a short time.

For SY I recommend fried tofu or fresh firm tofu or pre-soaked bean curd stick.

The greens are best got from your local asian market. All kinds of things I can visualize but not remember the names of right now. (my honey's in bed already).

You can also add stuff like Shiitake, enoki or other mushrooms and any veggie that is ready quickly. You don't want to add something that takes forever to cook.

You toss the things in and before you have time for a second sip of wine, your first course is ready. You just keep tossing in and scooping out and before you know it you've too much too eat.

I really like this way of doing a fondue, which is often referred to a hot pot, but again, not what I grew up with as a 'hot pot', that's for another post.

Cheers. :)

Attachments

• IMG_6177.jpg
    IMG_6177.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 86
I'm kinda the type... worrying too much about the food you're eating is probably not very good for your health. :)

Everyone knows how to eat. But very few eat properly. "Garbage in -> garbage out" works not only in computer programming. And number of myths and fashions around food is probably higher than around Hi-end audio. The same role plays official dietology as audio-hi-end-ology.

You can build a sound system without feedbacks. But human body acts with multiple feedback loops. Feedbacks cause oscillations. Like, if you don't eat enough of well balanced food you have no energy. Craving for sugar is understandable: it brings fast energy. But due to phase shifts in feedback deeper loss of energy follows after short peak, and 0.5-1.5 hours after you feel more exhausted.
Yes, human body is THE greatest chemical factory. It is very flexible, but can't do everything always. You can for example live 2-5 years without vitamin B12, until resources depleted, then lots of people want to see psychiatrists because they don't know that hallucinations and schizophrenic symptoms are caused by wrong diet caused by belief that it is stupid to learn what and how to eat.
You can eat some diet without few proteins except essential ones that can't be synthesized, your body will synthesize the rest.
You can live without consumption of saturated fats, and your body will make them from other food and store enormous reserves... But this reserves will never be used because it is not enough of other components in the food to utilize them. Then, functional changes happen... That lead to deseases that can't be reversed back...
...and all because that poor human being being ignorant thought that he/she knows what, when, and how to eat...

Ignorance in diet is worse that ignorance in electronics, because not only quality of life, but the life itself, depends on this knowledge. In traditional societies people could be 100% sure that because they have the same diet as other people from their tribe they can expect similar life quality and length. Similarly in modern Western society diabesity, heart diseases, cancers, are very common, so you can be 100% sure that following common diet you will have similar outcome.

Last edited:
Translate my smiley as, "Don't take me too serious. Or too personal."
I generally agree with you, Wavebourn. People should listen to their own bodies and not the latest nutrition fads and headlines. You didn't mention the worrying, though, and that was really the point, if any, in my post.
I myself have made some purposeful effort to learn a little about nutrition (I believe there's 8 essential dietary proteins, SY probably knows for sure, and B12 can give you a better energy buzz than sugar ever will). It's those "super-size it with a diet Coke" folks that seem chronically confused.
I'm not overweight, and my blood pressure, cholesterol, iron, etc. are better than many people's half my age. My diet is reasonably balanced. Sometimes pasta with marinara is good, but sometimes I want a steak or burger.
I'd like Cal to post pics of his cooked homemade sausage. There's a pizzeria nearby that makes spinach pizza, and man that's some good stuff. But I'd bet SY can do it better.
I'm still thinking about his green beans. When I was growing up frozen green beans weren't even allowed in the house!
I confess I did down a pint of Ben & Jerry's earlier this evening. I think you can only balance that with something like a long bike ride.

We finished dinner in Russian style... I am full, kind and lazy now. :)
Burgers made from meat of cows that grazed on green grass. Fried wild white mushrooms in organic sour cream. Vegetable Salad with sprouts. Pasta. Goat kefir.

Real Beef is made from Steers. Cows give us milk and cheeze.

Cows are only used, once too old to be reliable as milk producers or mothers, in factory burgers and factory prepared frozen/canned food. Steer is used for all fresh cuts of beef.

If you used fresh ground beef, you were not eating Cow. At least I hope not.

Last edited:
I'm still thinking about his green beans.

Both bush and pole beans grow well in this climate so we always have a good amount through the summer. I can't remember the name of it right now but my brother discovered a pole bean that's a lot like the bush types, tastes better and the yield is outta this world. Green, purple, yellow, doesn't matter they're all good. Stir fried, tempura, steamed, in soups or even raw.