The food thread

You guys inspired me. Since this place is pretty much a sausage party...

Coarse grind the Chuck including fat.
Add water and seasoning mix (Hot Italian) and run it through the grinder again to mix.
Use real hog casing (shown on top).

Better than commercial as it doesn't have the rubbery texture. I must have soaked the casing either too much or too little as it kept rupturing on me but aside from that it's pretty darn good.

Attachments

• IMG_6173.jpg
    IMG_6173.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 124
Better than commercial as it doesn't have the rubbery texture.

Nor does it have the Sodium Nitrites that commercial sausage manufacturers use to preserve it for prolonged time. Sodium Nitrites are a bit carcinogenic and are harmful to consume on a regular basis, as are phenol cyclic type hydrocarbons in burnt meat, but skill on the grill or an oven can prevent that.;)

Looks delicious by the way! :lickface:

... phenol cyclic type hydrocarbons...

...which are also endocrine disruptors. So it will not only give you cancer, it will grow your breasts.:D

I was contacted several weeks ago by a company that makes synthetic sausage skins looking to hire me as their R&D director. I had to break the news to them that I was a lifelong vegetarian, which ended the interview rather quickly.

I miss South African fresh raw whole sausages and sun-dried meat. After I tried beef jerky in USA I had hunger the next morning... Looks similar, tastes different, one is healthy, another is poison...
Enzymes to preserve South African dried meat are made by special insects that preserve drying on sun meat for themselves. It contain all essential proteins and vitamins.

Last edited: