The food thread

Pakoras!

Tonight was pakoras, deep-fried fritters of mixed vegetables in a lightly-spiced chick-pea batter. Vegetables included onions, potatoes, carrots, spinach, zucchini, cauliflower. After they are fried I sprinkle them with some "chat masala"; in India every street vendor of snacks (aka "chat walla") has his own mix of masala, which usually includes salt and amchur (dried mango powder) as well as hot and aromatic spices, so it is sour, salty, and hot. I ate them with rice and lentils, plus some home-made mango chutney, and a little something to wash it all down.

Attachments

• besan2.jpg
    besan2.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 87
  • pakoras2.jpg
    pakoras2.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 83
  • chat.jpg
    chat.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 76
  • pakoras1.jpg
    pakoras1.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 71
  • chutney1.jpg
    chutney1.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 72
  • chutney2.jpg
    chutney2.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 44
Te Bheag nan Eilean (pronounced "chay vek nan yellen"), from the Isle of Skye. It has an unusually high proportion of malt for a blended Scotch, not widely available. For some strange reason it has been sold here in Nova Scotia for decades. It is very good, and definitely has some of the "Skye" character (a bit of smoke, a hint of salt).

Mustards' Ketchup

3 1/2 lbs tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 to 1 1/4 lbs apples, peeled if using green, chopped
3 onions, chopped
1 1/2 c sugar
2 c cider vinegar
1 tbsp sea salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
6 black peppercorns
6 allspice berries
6 cloves

Combine all ingredients in a large stainless steel pot and bring to a
boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for about 2 hours, until
it is the consistency of commercial ketchup. Allow to cool slightly,
then puree in blender until very smooth. Return to heat for several
minutes to thicken further, stirring often. Strain and cool.
I finally did homemade ketchup! it was incredible, never tried a so delicious sauce. The only con would be that maybe 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper is a bit on the hot side, as I am not used to spicy ketchup, but not too hot. Just a taste matter. Thank you very much!
I would post some pictures but somehow my mobile phone has deleted all my pictures I had stored! grrrrrr!!! :mad:

Ain't that the truth. I don't know where they get off selling that stuff as chili powder..
I just ended up buying a packet of chili powder, due to not knowing the exact ingredients. Otherwise, it is a fast a easy way to make chili at least for the first time. I haven't cooked it yet, but I liked the idea of only adding the fresh ingredients and see what happens. Then I will try to add the thing at my own, after cooking a first batch :D

Yeah, there are, but let me share two secrets with you, both in Fairfield: Larry's and Parker Farms (Suzie Parker grows the best tomatoes I've ever had). Of course, you've also got Berkeley Bowl, the finest produce store in the world. So I never bothered with the CSA there, but we depend on it here.

Tell us about those eggs. The chicken ones I mean. How are they decorated? :)

Ha! Russia getting modern!

Hand-painting used to be the done thing. Now you can buy shrink-on plastic sleeves.

First boil the eggs, then soak in onion-skin water to make brown. Apply sleeve (it is a tube), dunk in hot water for a minute and it shrinks to the egg.

Very hard boiled eggs are dry and boring ....

The fishy ones are much more interesting!

I cannot afford "real" caviare any more - used to get it via the Russian black market :eek: :eek: , but no more.

That Red, 500grams for about $75us, is actually preferred as one can eat lots of it! This one was very fresh without any fishy smell.

With fresh plain white french bread, unsalted butter and a very smooth vodka it goes down a treat.

"Standard" Vodka is also available in UK shops at about £20/litre. Replacing Stoly on the market. Amazing stuff: no burn at all, especially if server from the freezer with a consistency of motor oil.

No sense of alcohol or slurring of speech, just a progressive warm well being until one suddenly falls over.

I cannot afford "real" caviare any more

Who can, white vaciar (spanish humor attempt) should be inhaled from a horizontal mirror with a straw nowadays.

I recall the days of doing six ounces of beluga in a weekend, at Moscow rate, at a time before caviar quality went down the crabper.
Once, during my door era, i scored a 1/2 kilo tin that a customer had left behind for whatever reason, for 50 bucks.
Ah, my Escobar student days, gone with the hair.