The food thread

Are gringos supposed to like cold food?

Out of Spain, folks think of caliente when they mean muy picante. :clown:

(strange gringos. I can't stand most beans, so I do chili con patas with goose fat instead of oil and French beans, cassoulet style. As for most of my ideas, someone else with entrepreneurial skills came up with the same thought)

Attachments

• Tardis.jpg
    Tardis.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 100
Cal, you have a secret recipe for sure :)

No recipe, just put it together and taste as you go along. There are so many variations and if you are adventuresome there are no ingredients that don't fit the bill. It also depends on what you are going to do with it. Are you going to eat it from a bowl or a plate? (that might determine the viscosity) Is it served on rice or is it part of a salad? (maybe you'll want it hotter) Chili dogs or an open face sandwich? Lots of ways to use it so no best recipe. :)

An excellent recipe for chile con carne was published some years ago in Gray's Sporting Journal, when A. D. Livingstone wrote the "Campfire Cooking" column. He started his essay on chili with a very basic, and probably "authentic", recipe:

In a large pot put some meat, preferably venison, preferably with bones. Add some salt and a handful of crushed dried chili peppers. Add water to cover, bring to boil, reduce heat, summer until meat falls apart. Done!

(He went on to expand that recipe considerably)

No recipe, just put it together and taste as you go along. There are so many variations and if you are adventuresome there are no ingredients that don't fit the bill. It also depends on what you are going to do with it. Are you going to eat it from a bowl or a plate? (that might determine the viscosity) Is it served on rice or is it part of a salad? (maybe you'll want it hotter) Chili dogs or an open face sandwich? Lots of ways to use it so no best recipe. :)
Okay, I got you :magnify: Then the best way (and the tastier one!) will be to try multiple variations.

Best regards!

Dunno the Thai or Mandarin translations, but same problem. :(

You could add Indian. The first serious Thai restaurant in Boston (circa 1970) opened with authentic heat and Joyce Chen's at MIT would serve Mao Po that turned you red. The public's taste since then has gotten them to mellow a bit. I found real vindaloo in Mumbai too much for me.

You could always try East Coast Grill's hell night. The TV guy could not eat the "pasta from hell".

I wait a whole year for these babies and GD it they are worth it. Same price as lobster and an awful lot of work to get them to the plate but Mmmmm...

10lbs. so there is lots to go around.

Plated here with a quick blanching and then a fry with ginger and a hint of salted chicken stock at the end. That was my dinner last night. :D

Attachments

• DSC00364.jpg
    DSC00364.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_5445.jpg
    IMG_5445.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 83
I wait a whole year for these babies and GD it they are worth it. Same price as lobster and an awful lot of work to get them to the plate but Mmmmm...

Plated here with a quick blanching and then a fry with ginger and a hint of salted chicken stock at the end. That was my dinner last night. :D

Cal,

What were they before they curled up and died?

BTW: They'll be having a big sale on Lutefisk here in Seattle on May 18th. I'll save a few pounds for you if you want.

Best Regards,
Terry

Lutefisk. Nothing like taking a perfectly good fish and...

Actually, I have wanted to taste it. As you know, your area and mine have a big following. According to Wiki, more of it is eaten in these parts than Norway.

Some of humour surrounding makes me want to go and get some right now.

"Just have a little." Eating a little was like vomiting a little, just as bad as a lot.

It looks like the desiccated cadavers of squirrels run over by trucks. It can be tasty, but the statistics aren’t on your side.

I gladly eat worms and insects, but I draw the line on lutefisk.

Well, we tried the lutefisk trick and the raccoons went away, but now we've got a family of Norwegians living under our house!

It is reminiscent of the world's largest chunk of phlegm.

And you mock my fiddleheads?

Hey Cal, them's fiddleheads!

We have them here in Ontario too. Basically baby ferns before they've uncurled. Mmmm, haven't had those in a while and the season's very short.

A couple of suggestions for chili. If you do use ground meat, try dicing about 1/3 of it before frying; it makes for a cool texture. Also, never use store bought chili powder--it's so easy to make your own and you usually have all the ingredients. I'm with Cal, I always go heavy on the cumin! I love that spice--grilled some lime/cumin pork chops the other day.

I did something different tonight. I was trying to perk up diner (my wife's sooooo spoiled, she always whines unless there's something's 'special') and was looking at some old olives. Hey we've got these mini ciabata buns, hmmm ... tapenade! Did a quick search ... easy as pie! Just dice some olives (kalamata but you can use green), capers (always looking to use capers!) and garlic and add olive oil, lemon juice and fresh-ground pepper. Some recipes add spices but this was great as is--it allowed the natural flavours to shine! She even saved some for tomorrow to put on crackers--always a good sign!

Cheers,
Jeff

I know it's not the season for them now, but do you guys have the wild chanterelles in your neck of the woods? I visited my brother-in-law in Olympia WA in October and we were able to collect quite a large number. (Slicing them off at the ground of course for species preservation.)

Wow, they are great sauteed!

If you do use ground meat, try dicing about 1/3 of it before frying; it makes for a cool texture.
Hi Jeff, yes, and another cool texture trick is if you grind your own meat, do so with the coarse plate. Texture is halfway between ground and cubed. Excellent for chili and spaghetti saue, not so good for patties or meatballs.
Also, never use store bought chili powder--it's so easy to make your own and you usually have all the ingredients.
Ain't that the truth. I don't know where they get off selling that stuff as chili powder.

Your olive mix sounds good, might have to give that a try.