The food thread

We also grow Padron peppers here to make my favorite Spanish bar-food snack, fried Padrons with salt. The Texas soil apparently alters the heat balance- Spanish Padrons have about 1 out of 10 very hot, the others sweet (it's random, which makes it fun). Here, we get about 2/3 of them hot. They are amazingly flavorful.

Ah, I love the pimientos del padron, there's a great little German bar (Titanic) in Puerto Portals, Mallorca, where a friend and I like to drink. We went over for Easter weekend a few years back and this bar was our 1st port of call.

Got there around 4pm and started drinking Belinis, around 6pm we decided we should have some food as the drinks were slipping down too easy. Ordered the pimientos del padron and the 1st one I ate was the hottest thing I'd encountered (I've eaten these since childhood, so was more than a little surprised) and I got a severe bout of hic-ups, which lasted 45mins, much to my friends amusment. Anyway, as soon as my hic-ups ended Pete picked up a pepper, ate it and began hic-upping himself! We left the bar at about 8pm, completely inebriated and about £400 down-damn those belinis are expensive!

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Oopps, another 5 minutes of free time, another correction. :D

Recipe for the English speaking population (close approximation):

Serves 5 (though in American terms, that might be closer to 3...)

--150 ml olive oil
--5 cloves of garlic very finely minced
--several sprigs of parsley leaves very finely minced(the flat-leafed variety)
--.75 l of fish stock (fumet--I also have this recipe)
--.10 l white wine
--a small amount of flour for thickening

Put the olive oil in a roasting pan or sauce pan. Add the garlic and cook until it starts to become golden. Make a roux by adding a bit of flour, then add a bit of the parsley (very, very finely minced).

Remove from the stove and add wine and stock. Put it back on the stove (doesn't mention the heat, but I'd keep it fairly low) to thicken the sauce a bit.

When it starts to bubble, throw in a bit of salt, remove from the heat, and you can then add the fish. Cook in the oven at the appropriate temperature. Add more of the very, very finely minced parsley before serving.

As for applying this to shellfish... I would guess that in the case of your dish that each individual creature was pre-cooked separately in the most appropriate manner (roasted, boiled, broiled, etc.) and then added to the broth/sauce for just a short cooking time.

Ah, I love the pimientos del padron,

Everybody does. LOL.

I love the older styles with lower alcohol and extraction and more local character than the newer fashions in wine.

This is the food thread, not the wine thread, but...

I tend to agree. While I generally like wines made with high extraction (which to me essentially means maximizing the flavours extracted from the fruit, as well as the sugars) there has been a trend, started in New World wines, to maximize varietal character rather than regional character. The best Old World wines express regional character, even to the point of individual vineyards, rather than just being another example of a well-known grape variety. How many CabSauv's do we need to know what that grape tastes like? Regional wines are usually blends, often but not always with a particular grape dominant, but augmented with minor grape varieties. But even if they are monocultures, the best regional wines announce themselves as wine from a place, rather than wine made from a grape, and as such they demand that they be tasted not as another example of that grape, but rather as an expression of that terroir.

I tend to agree. While I generally like wines made with high extraction (which to me essentially means maximizing the flavours extracted from the fruit, as well as the sugars) there has been a trend, started in New World wines, to maximize varietal character rather than regional character.

Unfortunately, the race toward higher extraction means a uniformity of inky, hot, and overly tannic wines. The terroir is lost, yes, but so is any notion of balance or elegance. At that point, might as well drink $5 Aussie shiraz.

Today I've just made a....

tor.jpg
tortilla%2Bpatata%2B%25283%2529.jpg

Tortilla de patatas!! (Potatoes omelette)

No pics as it's not cooked yet but we are doing a Turkey over at the Father in law's tonight as he will be away for Christmas.

Brined in pickling salt and Demerara sugar,
parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme,
a little basil and ground black pepper
roasted in an oven bag (of course)
fat free gravy (can't make it form a sugar brined turkey)

and the sisters are doing the rest.
Mmm...

Today I've just made a....

tor.jpg
tortilla%2Bpatata%2B%25283%2529.jpg

Tortilla de patatas!! (Potatoes omelette)
....which doesn't worth a penny with no recipe ;)

There's always a discussion wether if it is a must to add onion or just the potatoes. Of course I think it is mandatory to add it :cool:

1- Peel and cut the potatoes in 1cm thick round cuts. Fry them in not-too-hot oil in a pan until they're soft. We don't want a crunchy feeling, but more like if they were boiled, so warm oil goes.

2- Onion need less time for being cooked, so you can fry them later or add to the pan in the last 10 minutes when the frying the potatoes.

3- Beat 5 or 6 eggs in a bowl, and add the potatoes and onion to it, mixing them.

4- Then fry that in a big pan, and after some minutes, with the help of a plate, turn it to the other side. WARNING! this is the part when you can screw it up and throw the omelette somewhere around.

5-Cook it for a pair of minutes, and you're good to go!!!!

making a good knife, part of cooking too :p
but no need to be very fancy
I think its great fun to take a crappy or broken knife, and make it a good one :smash:

Have you tried any Shun knives? : Shun Knife

My mate got me one for my birthday Kai Shun Japanese Utility Knife 15cm (DM-0701) and it's the shizzle! Last year he got me a Global-which I thought was the best I had used, incredibly sharp and well balanced. The Shun puts it to shame, so ridiculously sharp my missus won't touch it.

For me the blade is a little shallow, I normally use a 2"+ deep and 8" long blade as I slice quick and use my knuckles for the guide-this blade is circa 1" and makes me more prone to shaving off a bit of myself into the dish-however I will continue practicing with this knife as I just love how smooth and sharp it is-I can cut carrot so thin I can see through it!

Now I must start saving for this:Kai Shun Japanese Chef's Knife 20cm (DM-0706)