The food thread

Borsch, and iced Vodka!

Borsch(t) with a dash of vodka adds just that little zing, imo. The thought of blini and borscht makes the approach of winter slightly more bearable.
Ahh, the days of going on a (Kremlin subsidised) Sovjet propaganda tour, loads of caviar in every hotel from Moscow to Leningrad, and silly cheap Beluga to carry home.

(if you pour the entire 6-pack in yourself, but nothing in the stew, yes)

Last edited:
Vancouver and Seattle are only a couple hours apart by auto and our climates are one and the same. Yes, many strains of mushroom/fungus here.

We have mushrooms after any rain, except in the coldest part of winter. I hunted mushrooms before I became unable to. Types vary by location in the US. Around middle TN, morels are the big prize for most people. There are several other types I like. The most overlooked mushroom by most people are the puffballs.

Borsch(t) with a dash of vodka adds just that little zing, imo. The thought of blini and borscht makes the approach of winter slightly more bearable.
Ahh, the days of going on a (Kremlin subsidised) Sovjet propaganda tour, loads of caviar in every hotel from Moscow to Leningrad, and silly cheap Beluga to carry home.

(if you pour the entire 6-pack in yourself, but nothing in the stew, yes)

Ever tried Polish Christmas style? Wild mushrooms and fermented in the backyard for a week like kimchee.

Just back from China and tried some interesting food: Scorpions and cicada.

Scorpions: just like crispy chicken skin, could see them taking off over here
Cicadas: unfortunately no where near as good, fiberous and bitty-kinda like the skins off popcorn kernals you kept on fishing bits from between your teeth, but with a nasty and unplacable after tatse and a texture akin to massively overcooked meat.
Stinky tofu: Couldn't bring myself to eat this-the smell made me gag and was thick in the air-just thinking of it is making me shudder
Otherwise I was disapointed in the weirdness of the foods, was hoping for some more variation in the insect stakes!

Just back from China and tried some interesting food: Scorpions and cicada.

Scorpions: just like crispy chicken skin, could see them taking off over here
Cicadas: unfortunately no where near as good, fiberous and bitty-kinda like the skins off popcorn kernals you kept on fishing bits from between your teeth, but with a nasty and unplacable after tatse and a texture akin to massively overcooked meat.
Stinky tofu: Couldn't bring myself to eat this-the smell made me gag and was thick in the air-just thinking of it is making me shudder
Otherwise I was disapointed in the weirdness of the foods, was hoping for some more variation in the insect stakes!

It's a good idea to remember before going to Asia, that there are four basic Chinese food groups: Swim, Fly, Slither and Crawl.

However, nothing compares to the wholesome and deliteful taste of Lutefisk!

Best Regards,
TerryO

It's a good idea to remember before going to Asia, that there are four basic Chinese food groups: Swim, Fly, Slither and Crawl.

Best Regards,
TerryO

I was looking forward to trying more of them!

Lutefisk sounds like my worst nightmare, second only to surströmming-now that's something I'd vomit over from the smell alone

Best Regards,
TerryO

As a professional airplane seat tester for a major investment bank I frequented Tokyo quite often in the 1980's and 1990's (back when they still had money!). On more than one occasion we were served stuff which was still moving. If you wash it down with Johnny Walker Black it doesn't bother.

Even the Norwegians I know won't eat fermented lutefisk.

As a professional airplane seat tester for a major investment bank I frequented Tokyo quite often in the 1980's and 1990's (back when they still had money!). On more than one occasion we were served stuff which was still moving. If you wash it down with Johnny Walker Black it doesn't bother.

I believe that the word "eat" is key. A person doesn't exactly "eat" lutefisk, at least in the conventional sense. Often served with copious amounts of butter (like Grandma does at Christmas time) it is actually closer to "gulp."
That's where the religious aspect comes in, as you fervently pray that it will stay down.
:D

Best Regards,
TerryO

How about casu marzu?

Casu marzu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is basically rotting cheese infested with jumping maggots.

No that I would try-it's meant to be heavenly if you're a cheese lover-which I am.

My granfather apparently used to hang a ham until it was infested and then would boil it. All the maggots would rise to the surface of the water-leaving incredibly tender meat.

Yes, the Japanese like it fresh-my father used to do a lot of business there too and has had live monkey brains amongst other "delicasies". According to him the worst he has eaten is Korean kimchee and sea cucumber-the former was like slimey rotten fish guts and the later like chewing a salty piece of rubber

Yes, the Japanese like it fresh-my father used to do a lot of business there too and has had live monkey brains amongst other "delicasies". According to him the worst he has eaten is Korean kimchee and sea cucumber-the former was like slimey rotten fish guts and the later like chewing a salty piece of rubber

Monkey brains are not Japanese but squid guts are as are "soft" roe better known as fish ji**.

No that I would try-it's meant to be heavenly if you're a cheese lover-which I am.

My granfather apparently used to hang a ham until it was infested and then would boil it. All the maggots would rise to the surface of the water-leaving incredibly tender meat.

Sounds OK... I guess.

What was done with the Ham after you finished the maggots?
:D

Best Regards,
TerryO