The food thread

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Jeeze Bill, even I understood what he was saying, that his mother's family in France was poor but the food was the opposite, just like yours. That they made the most of what they had, which included fresh ingredients, just like your family did. Where did you see a disparaging remark?

Well that is not what was written. I took it as claiming british food then was 'poor' and French food wasn't. Just one extra work like 'also' might have removed confusion.

It does confuse me when people write 130 odd words rather than try and add the one or two that would clarify things.

Temperature control is really a strong contender for improving the way we cook.

Yes, and temperature control implies understanding when you need to turn it down, and when you need to turn it up. Controlling the temperature of the food in the pan has as much to do with technique as with burner temperature. Many professional chefs I have observed always use a high burner but control cooking temperature by how long the pan is on the burner.

I have no interest in eating that custard-like concoction that Gordon Ramsey (whom I admire) called scrambled eggs in that video. I like my scrambled eggs a little firmer than that. Interestingly he said that adding salt or beating the eggs results in the eggs breaking down and becoming watery. That is only true if you cook them at that ridiculously low temperature. If you put some heat to them that issue disappears, though you get eggs more like an omelet.

At least in the north of germany when I was 13 : with some Nutela on Bread, and even powder sugar on it (the winter when it get cold and we get up of the bed at 5h30 ! .... But salty breakfasts than french ones ! (no salt in France at all but in the lands... Ah la Campagne *!)

* Btw, I lived with poish woman who putted cammebert on bread into the Café ! Special ! You have to be in love to live it one more than an afternoon !

Last edited:
I remember some years ago I was on a trade mission to Europe. First stop was Amsterdam, which I loved, but for a North American palate the breakfast was strange. Salted meats, what we would call "cold cuts" and associate with lunch, some cheese, some hard bread and pastries. Good coffee though! Then on to Frankfurt, which was the same food but with an officious woman LOUDLY telling all the members of our group that we could only have the cold breakfast, not the hot buffet. She seemed to want to be sure that everyone in the hotel knew we hadn't paid for the hot breakfast.

Finally on to London, where our high end hotel served a "full English" for everyone. Sausages, bacon, eggs, potatoes, mushrooms, tomatoes, toasted soft white bread, beans... It was heaven.

I remember some years ago I was on a trade mission to Europe. First stop was Amsterdam, which I loved, but for a North American palate the breakfast was strange. Salted meats, what we would call "cold cuts" and associate with lunch, some cheese, some hard bread and pastries. Good coffee though! Then on to Frankfurt, which was the same food but with an officious woman LOUDLY telling all the members of our group that we could only have the cold breakfast, not the hot buffet. She seemed to want to be sure that everyone in the hotel knew we hadn't paid for the hot breakfast.

Finally on to London, where our high end hotel served a "full English" for everyone. Sausages, bacon, eggs, potatoes, mushrooms, tomatoes, toasted soft white bread, beans... It was heaven.

This is what a good breakfast looks like IMO. The important thing is that the bread rolls must be freshly baked that morning.

After 30 years of living in the UK I still can't stomach a cooked breakfast first thing in the morning. I do however enjoy it as a light lunch but there have to at least two hours, a coffee or three, toast and jam between me getting out of bed and me eating it otherwise I'd feel queasy the rest of the day.

Attachments

• german breakfast.jpg
    german breakfast.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 74
Well that is not what was written. I took it as claiming british food then was 'poor' and French food wasn't. Just one extra work like 'also' might have removed confusion.

It does confuse me when people write 130 odd words rather than try and add the one or two that would clarify things.

Despite your apparant reluctance to accept it as being so, some years ago French cooking - as experienced by Brit visitors - was far superior to the reverse. 60s food in the average UK restaurant was naff, cooked to death and then spending an hour or so plated on a (old fashioned open water bath bain-marie!!).

But now the inexperienced Brit in France will be offered much the same as in England...Pizza, Pasta with chemical sauces, Burgers and other 'fast foods'.....and it becomes more difficult without proper research to find a decent traditional restaurant/eatery anywhere in either country. Very sad!

However I am pleased to report from my own experience that the standards in both Scotland and Ireland have improved beyond all expectations....but again research is needed.

.Pizza, Pasta with chemical sauces, Burgers and other 'fast foods'.....

It's a sad cultural thing that is spreading, a meal is only a chance to catch up on business the cell phones come out and the time "wasted" eating only gets in the way. That is why I was so happy last visit to China, the guys from the office were actually foodies and we had several meals of great local fresh ingredients at places they had researched.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Despite your apparant reluctance to accept it as being so, some years ago French cooking - as experienced by Brit visitors - was far superior to the reverse. 60s food in the average UK restaurant was naff, cooked to death and then spending an hour or so plated on a (old fashioned open water bath bain-marie!!).

All fine except we were on a line of not wasting food. And I merely pointed out that my family all have that due to mother growing up on a farm in the 30s and 40s. I have not a clue what that has to do with carp british restaurant food in the 60s.

Food waste was the topic. Not whether the eggs, milk, pork and veggies off the farm were tastier than the <insert blackadder quote> version.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I used to travel for the ADSL business 5 or 6 times a year usually staying in Novotels, at least there was always plain yogurt and fruit on the cold table.

First time I stayed in a best western in USA (1990s) I was a little shocked by the multicolored cereal and donuts on offer. I hope they are better now. I wish the hotelf1 chain would expand as at least for a holiday traveller they offer exactly what you need.