The food thread

Last edited:
My daughter is currently visiting from Bermuda, where business professionals are paid in US$, there is no personal income tax, and almost all produce and certainly all petroleum products are imported, so when she & her mom go shopping everything seems stupidly cheap - "Mom, Canada's on sale, and I'm getting an extra 40% off when I use my card"

I can remember a $5 bag of potato chips, and $8 (US) fruit smoothie on my last visit there.

Foie gras (free range) with a core of cooking chocolate (plus Jerusalem artichoke, sesame seed)
1 of 9 courses over a 5 hour period this evening, plus amuse. Fun part was being served by half a dozen people, 1st open day after a 3-week januari holiday break. Me also 1st guest on the scene.

Attachments

• EatMe.JPG
    EatMe.JPG
    364.6 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Foie gras (free range) with a core of cooking chocolate (plus Jerusalem artichoke, sesame seed)
1 of 9 courses over a 5 hour period this evening, plus amuse. Fun part was being served by half a dozen people, 1st open day after a 3-week januari holiday break. Me also 1st guest on the scene.

The plate is a little menacing. I've heard of the "free range" foie gras, this is presumably where the geese act as humans would.

Yeah, somewhat flaky, that plate. All others were more mundane.

Anjou pigeon, with eggplant, black salsify, tahini, vadouvan herbs. Parmezan on the leg bit.

(the caviar with a mix of brandade and muscat grapes was F awesome)

Sounds like fun, not sure there are too many folks here that have indulged themselves in like kind. My daughter and I would join you anytime.

Last edited:

They only do 35 couverts max per lunch/dinner. For a fully loaded dinner, best is to book an overnight arrangement, but that adds up to a painful wallet. (the $100k+ car show on the parking lot comes complementary)

Kitchen is four times the size of the eating area, forgot to take a picture when I went in to give the chef a hand before we headed home. He's the single chef here who refuses to hop the circus-show train for higher grades. Only flavor counts, presentation comes 2nd. Means the food is still warm when served, cold works of visual art at 2/3 star joints tick me off, also does a lot of cooks in the top tier over the last quarter century (first-hand witness)

(at McD and KFC, humans are the sitting geese)

Last edited:
Who's the sitting duck in an expensive restaurant is also a Kafkanian topic.

(Lighting in that place is top of the line. In a relative sense, for a restaurant, so is the sound system. The chef is an OC perfectionist, bit like a reflection in a wine glass. Single annoying thing there is the waitors folding the napkin and shoving the chair back to the table, each time one goes for a breather or the Johns, just that they can help you to get seated again, barf)

Attachments

• SittinDuck.JPG
    SittinDuck.JPG
    191.7 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
painful wallet.

Cold dishes are the norm at this wallet banger in Boston. Took my daughter and her friend, dishes had an 80% hit rate. I notice the current menu has the foie gras/chocolate combination, it must be going around.

o ya boston menu

As for presentation the bar at Alinea in Chicago served the best crab salad I ever had in a small paper bag.

Last edited:
it must be going around

The chef and his wife normally fly to Asia during the januari break, for a couple of weeks rest in a 5 star hotel.
She told me this year they went several capital city hopping abroad.

They make 15-hour days, 6 days a week, living arrangements above the kitchen. Most chefs don't have enough time left to do a lot of experimenting, save rare exceptions as Ferran Adrià.
A standard menu is 2/3d from the old notebook in handwriting, a minor portion is new and entirely-original.
The rest is what to steal in Denver when you're only half-cooked.

The leg/bone handle in the 2nd image I posted is identical to the ones I saw a quarter century ago, they already were his own property back then.
Even a slight chance that yesterday's was the exact same one I held in my hand decades ago. The anjou pigeon recipe also looked half familiar.

Which is not all-surprising. When we were collegues, I was the boss of his wife, wore a $1k+ suit and saw every bill, every F/B item sold and for how much. I knew exactly how many couverts they did each day, which dish, which wine, revenue numbers by the day to the year.

I was also the only one with a master key for every door, and the codes for access to all data on the main frame, including data erase clearance codes. I knew how much each and everyone made, to the last cent, even how much was subtracted from monthly salaries of individual cases for extras in/on their company car.
Even corporate figures, intended for owner eyes only, the fckr should have behaved smarter and have used a different lock on the door of his private area.
When I left the position, he wanted a formal farewell talk with an espresso and cigaret, during which he mentioned that I was the very best they had ever had. :clown:

After closing hours, I even opened the door of the chef's private office, and his desk drawer. I've xerox'd every recipe notebook scribble of every chef I worked with.
When kissing goodbye to my former collegue and current restaurant manager at the front door, I made a reference to the good ol' days, which made her comment to my g/f that I see and hear everything.
Thought it diplomatic not to mention that I have copies of her chef husband's recipes at home, in his handwriting. :clown:

Last edited:

What better divine justice than squeezing a mob lawyer dry, I wonder.

Enfant terrible of the Dutch criminal legal world, provocateur pur sang in the media, dandy, verbally brilliant, street food junkie, hedonist with a sublime sense of humor => http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/loun...rch-preamplifier-part-ii-819.html#post3545110
71, and still going strong.

(it's sensible to keep on a friendly basis with a single one as contingency backup, may pay off one day)

But I'm not a....

Attachments

• Mental Theo.jpg
    Mental Theo.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Speaking of, the handle for the Anjou pigeon leg is vintage French, popular item in the late 19th century.
It's called a Manche à Gigot, a smaller/shorter model goes by Manche à Côtelette.

Most are/were typical French, somewhat tacky, nice ones go for around $50-$75/pc.
Lookers can also be bought for a few hundred dollars the piece at boutique shops for Bybee gourmands.
Really fancy ones came as a 3-5 set in a luxurious box, with fork and knife (plus 2-piece salad set)

Last edited: