The food thread

So whilst we are talking knives do people sharpen to a 15 degree blade or a 25? I currently do 15 as that's what the rails I have are, but wonder if I am just making work for myself.

As all my knives started out second hand I've never got a perfect edge, but enough to slice through a nail when I was being careless. I do find the whetstone very theraputic though.

Bill, I do it by hand, so no idea what the true angles are. I take my smaller knives to a pretty fine angle, but leave my chef's knife a little shallower angle. A couple swipes every couple weeks on my finest stone is good enough to make onions a joy regardless the knife I'm using.

My chef's knife is a Forschner. Not pretty, but decent balance and holds a good edge.

Last edited:
For nearly everything I use a Global "office" knife. Bought 23 years ago, looks like one metal part but the handle is non-magnetic and the blade is magnetic. Something with austenitic and different steel types. And the blade has a nice edgy point for removing onion skins.
Oh I almost forgot about Global. Friend of mine got one as a graduation gift from culinary school. Nicest knife I've ever used!

serrated_knife.jpg
I have a couple of these Forever Sharp kitchen knives.
Perfect for the kitchen.....and cutting up old boots, steel hammers and timber.

Dan.

and cutting up

I own a few chainsaws, electric and gas, a katana, machete, several authentic kelewangs, and for really difficult stuff I've spent many working days with an 8-hour hammer on an anvil in the pre-21 era.

For cooking knives, I sharpen fancy by hand. The angle depends on the width/thickness of the blade, aka type of knife.
Once every couple of years, I have them inspected and sharpened to the exact optimum degree by someone who does the tooling for pro chefs.
I have a lot of 'them', even a complete travel set in an alloy suitcase.
(somewhat bizarre, moi ?)

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I've thought about electric sharpeners, but for the cost of one that is not made of cheese I could buy a better knife! Plus I like the old skool pleasure of a whetstone.

I tried doing it by hand, but over an 8" blade hard (for me) to keep a consistent angle, esp as on one I had to grind away nearly 2mm to get chips out the blade from some dreadful abuse in a past life.

Learning to hone properly was the most important skill from my experience though. And not the way my father did it, which was acting like he was practicing for an Errol Flynn movie!

For cooking knives, I sharpen fancy by hand. The angle depends on the width/thickness of the blade, aka type of knife.

I do the 1000/6000 whetstone like this guy. There are a couple of professional services on the web, if say you drop the knife and damage the blade :)rolleyes:) that will recover the blade as best as possible. Like most things the drop-off pick-up service that was wonderful in the 70's/80's now does work that looks like a 350 Grit Craftsman axe sharpener was used. Some Japanese knives are handed with a different angle on each side.

I have a woodworker friend who is OC(-D) about sharpening who goes down to leather impregnated with diamond dust at >30000 grit. His jack plane will draw an unbroken ribbon from a 10' edge that you can read through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t39rhQs6Hqc

Bill - it is meditative just as grinding your own ink for sumi-e BTW this guy cheats at the end IMO by using an unripe tomato as a demo.

Last edited:
On personal request, but I'm fully booked till februari 1.

I'm in luck that's my birthday. I'm in only if you can make me come out like Jack Nicholson.

Jacco - I have a friend that collects antique samurai swords (sharpening $3000 and up) and you have to provide an adequate pedigree or they won't even look at it.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I have a woodworker friend who is OC(-D) about sharpening who goes down to leather impregnated with diamond dust at >30000 grit. His jack plane will draw an unbroken ribbon from a 10' edge that you can read through.

Reminds me, must read 'Reaper man' again. I have been tempted by a strop just for that final damage, but I shed enough blood with the blades I have!

Thinking 73, passing on to 74 shortly, I can arrange some cut-rate lipo suction and botox injection for you, Brian.

(If you're ever in need of a lymphanatic tool job, I know just the bloke for you. Come to think of it, even my most intimate contact)

Dutchie un-Reformed (except in parts) dyke filler................

Me: some belly (still 36") 12.5 stone weakling.....sort of guy who gets sand kicked in his face - regularly...even by pre-school kids. And despite the heart pill regime everything works just dandy. In fact I will be testing my liquid control tonight as we are having a party for a couple of dozen friends.

Last edited: