The food thread

I wonder if you know things like that
Of course we do my friend. Our mothers cooked that kind of thing all the time. but as a new generation cook, we like to experiment. Not to say we don't do it old style sometimes but...

Here's a recipe that was on TV, and is enormously popular
Looks good. When you get down to it, it's as much how you cook it as it is the the ingredients.

Sometimes I get my threads mixed up
I love squirrel. Tastes like chicken. :)

At least the raw fish

Jacco, 90% of the fish I eat is raw. Sometimes frozen and thawed like they suggest, sometimes fresh 'cause I can't be bothered to wait. Regular cooked fish (wrapped in foil like mother did) tastes too fishy to me so if I do, it's a white fish. All the salmons taste better raw with a standard wasabi and soy dip to me.

If you're going to cook salmon, put the grill at 1000C, cut the fillets into 3cm strips, season them lightly then baste with oil and put them on for 30 seconds or so.

Mmm..fish heaven

All the salmons taste better raw with a standard wasabi and soy dip to me.

Absolutely, rare to medium tuna steak is also hard to beat.

Few exceptions are mackerel and my favorite, swordfish.
Darn, one day i'm gonna catch me one on the fly in the Keys (or head on at +20kn :clown: ).
Have to check with Jocko for a squirrel recipe.

Last edited:
Baked spaghetti from a couple days ago

Attachments

• IMG_8401.jpg
    IMG_8401.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 94
Lay out the Nori add rice and filling then roll. Moisten the the end of the Nori and place it seam side down on a plate. Cover with plastic for a couple hours then slice into the pieces you see at the Sushi bars.

Easy.

Note to self: Don't try and save 25 cents by buying the cheap Nori. This stuff was really tough to work with as it tended to come apart.

You can use a bamboo roller if you like but doing it by hand takes me back to the sixties. ;)

Seasoned rice is sushi rice with a combo of rice vinegar, sugar and salt added near the end of the cooking.

Attachments

• IMG_8404.jpg
    IMG_8404.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_8405.jpg
    IMG_8405.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 81
Jacco, that's one of the greatest things about living where I do. The culture is so diversified there is no premium paid for the "exotic". I am just so glad I have learned the value of opening your eyes and palate to all the world has to offer. The Maki rolls were so good, my honey has made me promise to do so again and soon. I used to make those a lot but not so much in the last decade. As in all things, you tend to move on.

Cheers. :)

The reference to the sixties was a result of what we all experimented with way back when. The stuff of today is scary. We used to think hash was something to be careful with. My how things have changed. Glad I'm no longer a part of that circle.

Cheers again.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Nice looking bread there Mister.

thank you, sir
and it taste even better than it looks
I have found it works best with about 2hours in te ove
starting out hot, about 1hour
then I place it on a grate, and turn down to 150 for another 1/2 hour, or so
turn off oven, and let it stay for another 1/2 hour
then let it stay in the oven, just slightly open, to dry
its quite hard, and crispy