The food thread

I have heard it's similar to some of our white fishes like rod cod. It's a nice light, slightly sweet, not too fatty fish with a good flakey texture. Is that about right?

Unfortunately I have no idea what your white fishes are like.

The barramundi I had were locally caught river fish (they can live in fresh, brackish, or salt-water).
The closest you can get in Europe flavour- and texture-wise is the common perch. Of course their quality depends heavily on the water quality they lived in ie clean river is better than stagnant pond.
But yeah lean, firm and slightly sweet is pretty close as far as I remember.
You can get farmed, frozen barramundi here but that is soggy and bland as usual for farmed and/or frozen fish.
Zander is good to eat too. Probably goes for most Percidae but those two are the only common in Europe large enough to bother.

For some reason unbeknown to me british people don't seem to eat freshwater fish other than trout.

Cos they put them back again to catch another day. Daft passtime.

Although not sure I could eat lamprey pie.

I really like smoked eel so I would try lamprey but they are critically endangered which makes that illegal and immoral.

Many anglers hate Zander and kill them when they catch them and then throw them away. A waste of a perfectly good and delicious fish IMO.

Using extra virgin for frying is a shameful waste of oil IMO.

I only use it for that if I fry something off before adding other ingredients like when you're starting a stew.
An egg fried in extra virgin tastes weird but it's pretty much essential for salad dressing.

Being a cheapskate I use Aldi's own brand. Dirt cheap for an extra virgin and in blind taste tests it places consistently in the top few amongst oils costing 5 or 6 times as much.

There are some women around here that might disagree. Of course, they'll use the dirt cheap one ( or the remaining from the previous season )

I'm against using olive oil for making mayonnaise ! It makes it look green :camoufl: and adds extra acid flavour that isn't intended in the original recipe.
Usually I make it ( when...it comes : uh, the egg must be at ambient temperature ! ) with a little mustard and lemon instead of vinegar.

BTW mustard has another meaning which is fruit marmalade with chili
and it goes well with some cheese ( such sheep's milk " pecorino" )
;)

Sad in a way, a fish fry in Milwaukee in the early 60's meant fresh lake perch turned into frozen orange roughy from Aus/NZ now who knows.

No lake perch at any all-you-can eat, like in the old days, but you can still find it, for the right price, on most Friday menus. A lot more cod, and walleye these days, too. (Fresh smelt also now appears to be impossible to find around here.)

A couple of years ago, ordered "lake perch" at a Madison restaurant and was served what appeared to be ocean perch. I pointed out the obvious size discrepancy of the fillets to the server and said that I sincerely doubted that a world-record size lake perch would end up on my plate.

I really like smoked eel so I would try lamprey but they are critically endangered which makes that illegal and immoral.

The lamprey was the bane of the Great Lakes in the early 1960's when the St. Lawrence Seaway was first opened. It destroyed many of the freshwater eatin' and gamefish.
GLFC - Sea Lamprey
Now they have issue with zebra mussels imported from China.

No lake perch at any all-you-can eat, like in the old days, but you can still find it, for the right price, on most Friday menus. A lot more cod, and walleye these days, too. (Fresh smelt also now appears to be impossible to find around here.)

There are several restaurants in Cleveland which serve walleye on Fridays (Night Town). I believe that Sokolowski's serves Lake Perch. (You can also get pierogies at Sokos).

The lamprey was the bane of the Great Lakes in the early 1960's when the St. Lawrence Seaway was first opened. It destroyed many of the freshwater eatin' and gamefish./QUOTE]

Yup, lampreys wiped out the lake trout, which were then not around to deal with the alewives, back when Scott and I were in high school. Then various salmonids were stocked (trout and salmon in the Milwaukee River, which had been toxic for years) to deal with the alewives. Since then, out of control populations of gobies and, most recently, the zebra mussels.

Lake (yellow) perch and smelt populations have, through all of this, collapsed. Lots of sport fishing for lake, rainbow, and brown trout, as well as coho and king salmon, but you don't want to eat much of the catch due to high mercury and PCB levels.