The food thread

on a covered porch.

Long long time ago I went on a biking holiday in Luxembourg with a g/f.
As it wasn't allowed to bb&q on the grass of the camping site we were staying, I figured I could build a grill island in the river, plenty scattered rocks.
Just as the charcoal hit showtime temperature, and I had placed the goodies on the grid, it started to rain.

(please do not request images of an idiot holding an umbrella, while sitting in a river for an hour and a half)

We have had more then our share of rain this month...too bad we can't send it your way. This weather is a bit scary...

You need what I want to call an Italian kitchen...growing up some of our Italian friends had a second kitchen in the garage or on a covered porch. We always knew to show up Sundays after church time for a meal...all invited.

AFAIK all Italian homes have two kitchens.

No kitchen is complete without one of these.

Attachments

• mccoy5.jpg
    mccoy5.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 112
Cooking is suffering.

Me gave Haute Mac 'n Cheese a shot yesterday.
Cajun style roux with home-made chicken broth instead of milk, plus grilled red/chili peppers, lots of garlic, herbs. In the blender, sour cream added, shot of noilly prat, 8 ounces of pecorino. Topped with bread crumbs I made, olive oil, 20min in the oven.

There's always a bad hair day.

Attachments

• YouSlob.jpg
    YouSlob.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
So the wife and daughter went to Digby, Nova Scotia for a couple of days. Digby is locally famous for one thing: the best deep-sea scallops in the world. My honey brought some home for me, fresh off the boat this morning.

Brushed with olive oil, then a bit of sea salt and pepper:

IMG_2661.JPG

Then grilled over a very hot flame, and served with some fresh broccoli and a simple salad with fresh lettuce (not pictured).

IMG_2662.JPG

Smooth as butter, sweet flavour.

Kippers are, to my mind, larger, saltier, and more heavily smoked. They are usually heated before eating, while our local smoked herring fillets are eaten cold (or at least can be). My uncle used to have a smokehouse and made excellent smoked herring, they made a nice snack, great with cold beer. Of course you could also cook with them. We never used the "Digby chicks" term. Several of my relatives on my mother's side were fish mongers.

But the Digby scallops are simply wonderful.

This coming weekend i will be in Parrsboro, NS. As the crow flies not too far from Digby, but on a different coast. I will have at least one meal at a place called the "Harbour View", which is basically a converted Atco trailer next to the government wharf. They make excellent fish and chips, where "fish" means whatever fresh fish is running (haddock, cod, flounder, sole) or superb local clams (can't eat them myself) or scallops from Advocate Harbour. The Advocate scallops are the opposite of the Digby scallops, small and sort of muddy tasting, but still sweet and delicious. The Harbour View also serves excellent pie.

Hah! I see Cal and i gave conflicting answers.
I think it would be better to trust the person who lives there. My experience is simply what's avaialble here and may be given the name to excite interest.

Here is a quote about 'Bloaters'

"A Bloater is basically a kipper that hasn't been cleaned inside. It's a cold smoked herring that is not gutted at all, but rather left completely whole, with the head and tail still on. <snip> People sometimes refer to them as Digby Chicks".

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Anniversary dinner last night. 15 years. Just the wife and I and we decided to keep things simple (kids are vacationing with my parents).

- Rack of lamb, charcoal grilled with some applewood chips
- Simple salad with vinaigrette
- INCREDIBLE bottle of Tempranillo

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

(We rarely eat at restaurants any more, simply because it is inevitably disappointing and/or ridiculously expensive.)

Last edited: