The food thread

:nownow: 30 is yoost a wee too many there laddy buck.

I don't see them. I usually remove them to serve, but left them in once and two guests were definitely in tears.

You know me and my heat aversion.

A friend brought me a stripped bass tail right out of the Atlantic made a nice green curry lots of galangal, lemongrass, and lime leaves (only at touch of heat).

It was apx. 1 liter soup, i used 3 rods of lemongras, fine chopped, 1 pc galangel apx 5 cm fine chopped , chopped chillies, chopped coriander roots, some shredded kaffir lime sheets and filled up with shrimp shells( left over and frozen from another dish), cooked for 30 min, then used a sieve to separate the liquid, added 3 tbs fishsauce , added all ingredientss and finally squeezed 2 limes in. The lime rings you see are just for they eyes.

I learned it this way in thailand , issan. They use also some fried chillie paste in it, but then its to much for me. Except to cure a hangover :hypno1:

What do you mean with whole pods? ( sorry, my english is limited)

Thank you.
Yes, we can get them as whole pods in single pieces, boxes of apx 500 gr, dried like in jaccos pic and as paste/sauce.
Fortunately we have 3 Thaishops and 1 Asianshop at lesser than 3 km distance.
They take also orders for specialities they usually dont carry.

But i dont put tamarind in Tom Yum Issan Style. The broth i like to have pretty clear first, some small tomatoes give a nice color and taste, the final color of the broth you see comes only after adding lime juice.

And 30 chilies are a lot, but when removed before serving, its tolerable for me.

Frank

Dinner yesterday
Simple fresh green salat with some roasted whole grains and diy sauce italian,
the second dish duckbreast and Dal Fry Curry.
The duckbreast i removed the skin, which i used instead of oil, then marinated for 24 hours.
Marinade made with coriander seed, fenugreek seed, black pepper, all roasted before mortaring, then add bright sojasauce,dark sweet sojasauce, 2 pcs garlic squeezed. A little bit of it was dropped over the cutted duck, giving some sweetness.
Duck first roasted , then in the oven for 15 min and left 10 min for cure.
My wife dont like it bloody, so it set it for medium, i prefer more rare, but it was pretty ok.
The Dal was a standard indian version without cocomilk, i did it a few days ago, so this was left over, butt still tasty.

Attachments

• I-pix 001.jpg
    I-pix 001.jpg
    941.9 KB · Views: 65
  • I-pix 004.jpg
    I-pix 004.jpg
    802.9 KB · Views: 65
  • I-pix 012.JPG
    I-pix 012.JPG
    387.1 KB · Views: 62
Enter the micro-planer.

One of the most useful gadgets to ever enter our kitchen. I started out by using a Stanley Surform for that function.

With things like galanagal or garlic, the degree to which this shatters the cell walls causes the flavors to be much more intense. The high surface to volume of grated cheese (don't try it with softer cheese!) yields faster melting as well.

a small portion

Same here a week ago with a full-size grater.

I had to grate cucumber for some tatziki, already had the grater on the kitchen counter after grating emmentaler for another dish.
In a hurry, and figured it too much trouble to get the Magimix out, I never learn.

On the other hand, I still have a silly expensive Japan manufacture Santoku knife in the original packaging, after I cut off a 1.25'' portion of my right index finger with a half-priced Santoku two years ago, including half the nail.
Too scared to try it, so I look at the beautiful wave patterns on the blade now and then instead.
(Plus of a Santoku knife is cutting at every stroke, cutting twice per cycle is twice as fast cutting. If you watch cooking channels, quite a number of chefs are cutting that way now. Cutting differently with a razor-sharp blade also makes it twice as dangerous)

I have half a dozen micro-planers of various sizes in the drawers under the kitchen counter. For everything from zest to nutmeg, hard cheese to ginger. Much safer for fingers, and if there's one thing I truly despise to clean, it's a full-size grater.

If you wanna get rid of your Santoku, just send it to me, i take the risc to use it.
They cut so clean, the doctor no has problem to fix it properly ;-)

I have pretty good knifes, but here they ask a few grands for a real Santoku, the shop is only 50m from my place and if go in there, i will get a victim of the salesman , so i better stay outside of such a dangerous place.

My g/f promised me an all-stainless mandoline for my birthday.
At a little under $400, a lot cheaper and way safer.

(a neighbor had a 5-year old Murcielago delivered at his home two days ago. Guy made millions over the last half decade with importing/selling minimum-wage Poles. So I'm in desperate need of compensation fast :clown: )

Last edited:
banged to a pulp with the side of a Chinese psycho cleaver
I have 4 cleavers. From a very thin slicer to a behemoth fatty that will go through elephant bones. Which is the Physco one?
A few weeks ago i lost a small portion of a finger using a veggie slicer and it did not stop bleeding like crazy for a long time. The loss of skin and pain was minimal, so no tragedy
Same here but with a cleaver. April 1st no less. The nail is almost grown back. Glad to hear not too much damage.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/lounge/182567-food-thread-88.html#post4279680