The food thread

The pizza/shawarma/doner place in the center of my village is Armenian owned, only fastfood shop within five miles, they also sell/serve Armenian balls.
(and falafel, Köfte, spaghetti, etc, plus fries & mayo)

My golf buddies are all Armenian, there is a big community here in Watertown abutting Cambridge. The marathon bomber ended his spree two doors down from one of my regular partners.

Changed my retirement plans to Sarasota, Fl and found this. How do you guys do it? I walked into my daughter's apartment and saw a strainer full of what looked like a batch of pickled peppers. After popping a whole one into my mouth she said it was a batch of jalapenos that turned out too hot and were bound for the bin. For me 5 alarms.

Attachments

• l.jpg
    l.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 74
My SIL who happens to be from Goa, and has hot pepper resilience like few I know said this years crop of those ordinarily kind little Jalapenos seem to be above the norm. The fried ones last night caught even her off guard.

With the Thai chili juice, the fermenting is pretty much done, I will do the food milling tomorrow so I have something for the SIL when we join them for dinner.

I stirred them for the pic. I see the angle is appropriate for the amount of rum consumed. Jimmy would be proud.

Attachments

• IMG_0097.jpg
    IMG_0097.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 64
The best Donairs in these parts are made by a Lebanese brother team only a 5 minute drive from here. Even Big Cal has trouble finishing sometimes.

Cal, if you are going to talk about Donairs (as opposed to doner) you have to go to the source: Halifax! Yes, "donair" is a Haligonian delicacy, invented here by one of our long standing Lebanese population. Of course, when i say "delicacy" i mean "something you eat on the street after the bars close". Those things ruined a lot of my shirts back in the '70s. If you want to know what a Donair tastes like you need to go to KOD (King of Donair) on Quinpool Rd. in Halifax.

Now personally i can't stand the things. Give me a souvlaki any day.

you have to go to the source: Halifax!

Yes I understand the origin and it was family from back east who turned me on to the Donair in the 80's. Having said that, I have taken many out of towners to the Donair Affair and came away with a big smile on my face. There are tons of Donair places around but only one Donair Affair (Guildford) and they are miles ahead of the impostors.

... How do you guys do it? ...

Start early, ...
(no jokes intended this time)

I'll add you have to stay with it. Take some time away from spicy food and the tolerance fades.

I made some chili for friends with zero heat tolerance, and a side mole' for me consisting primarily of Guajillo, New Mexico and ancho chilis (pretty tame stuff). To demonstrate to my friend how mild it was, I dipped my finger in the mole' and stuck it in my eye. He could barely tolerate a teaspoon of it in a large bowl of chili. I like the circulatory effects of medium high heat.

Mmm, cinnamon.
Egg plant and cinnamon make a nice couple, imo.

I must have a shining, knowing on a friday that I would be having Moussaka on sunday...And monday.
(my right hand just said I should also have thought about tuesday)

Each time I pour a quarter gallon of bechamel sauce with egg yokes in an oven tray, I can't help but wonder how many eggs the average Greek swallows a year.

Yes, it's me again, chilli flakes stirred through the bechamel for an extra zing.

Attachments

• MoGreek.JPG
    MoGreek.JPG
    335.1 KB · Views: 97
Looks like Denmark is the current leader, Greece far behind. What's up with the Dutchies No. 1 in 2000 but way down by 2009? I always wonder about these stats, I mean who eats SY's 48lb of pork?

Typically its the introduction of the first fast food restaraunts in each country which skews those statistics.

Just take a look at Okinawa. Before McDonalds all of their youngsters were expected to live to 130 at least. Now...

Cool. post #3400 on Page 340.