The food thread

I get tomato water.

It's a juicer, not an electric food mill. Works for fruit, not tomatoes, I made the same mistake a long time ago.

I just use an oldfashioned (all-SS large model) vegetable/food mill, does 60lb in 5 minutes.
Before throwing them in the mill, I cut the tomatoes in half (transverse plane) and squeeze most of the wet stuff out by hand. Useless fluid, and gets rid of most of the seeds in the process. (wear gloves)

I will heed to your knowledge and pick this up tomorrow. At the moment I feel like the kid with the Helium balloon with the slow leak. My dreams are temporarily shattered. :bawling:

I mean WTF else might I be doing on a Friday night? So bad it is that my honey has gone to visit her Dad tonight while I trudge through the first flat in the old fashioned way.

Oh well, at least the Sockeye Sashimi, quartered new potatoes simmered in the pulled pork juice (did I forget to mention the batch we just finished?) and the local corn and Cal-Chi will help me get over the lack of company. If that doesn't work, Cap't Morgan is just down the street from here.

I'm not very smart, but I would say that you are NOT reversing oxidation (aka reduction), you are just removing excess air. So you are lessening future oxidation, but you can't undo oxidation just with heat. You would need to introduce a reducer, a chemical that would bond with oxygen so strongly that it would undo those chemical bonds. (In brewing, yeast does a good job of that, BTW.) I guessing maybe potassium sorbate or sulphite might help.

Also, when you introduce air (hence oxygen) it is both mixed with the juice and also dissolved in it. Solubility of gas in a liquid is proportional to pressure, so if you expose the liquid to a partial vacuum it will "pull" gases out of the liquid (like opening a beer). However that won't remove oxygen that has already chemically bonded with the substances (acids, sugars, etc) present in the juice.

Cal, I have used a blender to process tomatoes. They come out a light color..I have assumed it was due to aeration. If you cook them they seem to return to normal. You could add citric acid to prevent oxidation. Some tomatoes are acidic enough on their own some newer varieties are not.

I often sauce about half of the tomatoes. The others half squeeze out the seeds and drop into the simmering sauce just long enough to peel the skin. Then the tomatoes are frozen in ziplocks...some just sauce some peeled tomatoes in sauce.
Evan

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
Oh, I thought you had a different strainer for that Omega, that would do tomatoes. Mine didn't, but was an amazing juicer, which by definition, tries to get all pulp out and give you as much juice as possible. When I was looking for a good meat grinder, I came across this, in a local Toronto shop:

Tomato Machines

It's probably what you really want.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
Might be so, but they say "Free shipping to US&Canada for orders over $ 69.99" so, it doesn't matter that it's local. But harder to return if not happy with it.

I've been in that store (it's in Little Italy) when I was looking for some parts for my espresso machine. Then I really wanted to get a Fabio Leonardi meat grinder from them, as it seemed so well made. But I found something a little cheaper and also well made elsewhere.

Ah, Little Italy! When I went to UofT a million years ago there was a sandwich shop on College St in Little Italy called San Francesco's, which was recommended in the student guide. I went there one day. The guys behind the counter studiously ignored me until all their regulars had ordered, including the ones who came in behind me, then asked me what I wanted. I asked for an Italian sausage sandwich. The guy says to me "Sweet?" I didn't know what he meant, so asked "As opposed to what?" He said "Hot peppers?" I said "That sounds good!" He looked me up and down, said "Sweet!", and got me a sandwich without hot peppers. He was right, and it was delicious. :)

Yes folks, we have a winnuh! Oxo food mill to the rescue. :smash: :cheers: :drink:

Attachments

• IMG_3074.jpg
    IMG_3074.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 87
Maybe I should have written it before beer. :)

But the concept I was trying for was to distinguish between dissolved oxygen and oxidation (and, I suppose air or oxygen in suspension, aka "foam"). If your processing causes excess oxygen to be dissolved in the juice, it can be removed by increasing temperature or reducing pressure (or both). A buddy of mine used to have a nice vacuum generator Venturi thing you could screw on a faucet, and we would use that to de-gas wine.

But my point was also that IF the oxygen got into the juice and already started oxidizing stuff (chemically bonding with the juice constituents) it is very hard to undo that. Some highly reductive chemical might help, but then you have those chemicals in your juice -- like sulphites might help, and in small quantities are not too bad, but do you want to put sulphites in your juice? Probably not. Besides, the principal benefit of those things is prophylactic -- oxygen bonds to them more readily than to the juice, so they prevent oxidation, but again reversing it is harder.

Where is SY? He must know about this stuff.