The food thread

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I would think true lièvre is hard to find here. The wild hare in Italy and France has an almost blackish/purple flesh. Never had a rustic civet de lièvre thickened with the blood.

We eat quite a lot of hares at my house. 78 of them last winter, to be exact. Accordingly, we have tried many, many recipes. Also, one of my best friends is French (not French Canadian, French) and he makes some really interesting "old world" recipes with the hares, such as "country pate", which is closer to what I would call "cold meat loaf" than what I think of "pate". Very chunky, with a bunch of pork fat in the mix and a bone-broth jelly on top. It is delicious!

According to available data, you should be able to find snowshoe hares in your neck of the woods.

We eat quite a lot of hares at my house. 78 of them last winter, to be exact. Accordingly, we have tried many, many recipes. Also, one of my best friends is French (not French Canadian, French) and he makes some really interesting "old world" recipes with the hares, such as "country pate", which is closer to what I would call "cold meat loaf" than what I think of "pate". Very chunky, with a bunch of pork fat in the mix and a bone-broth jelly on top. It is delicious!

According to available data, you should be able to find snowshoe hares in your neck of the woods.

But here you have to shoot/trap them yourself, it is illegal for hunters to sell game. It will remain on the bucket of blood list. :D

(not French Canadian, French):rofl:

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
But here you have to shoot/trap them yourself, it is illegal for hunters to sell game. It will remain on the bucket of blood list. :D

Same rules here, which is why I shoot them myself. Field to table. It is as rewarding as gardening. Perhaps more so.

Nothing quite like spending a winter weekend day in the middle of nowhere with snowshoes and a .22. Exercise, fresh air, silence, beauty and a bag full of meat.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Better chance for a slow roast?

Snowshoe hares are very good in soups, very, very good in stews, impressive in braises, and excellent in pies... with mushrooms!

They are quite like dark meat turkey, but with "character".

And they are extremely challenging to hunt with a single-projectile, until you figure them out. :)

Last edited:
When I was a kid we had hare almost every week.
A soup thickened with the hares blood on Saturdays and the roasted hare on Sunday.
This was because my dad was a driving instructor. Hares (and other critters) will not run into the dark if caught in the headlights. He used to knock them out with the car and finish them off by clubbing them on the head.
It would then hang in the cellar for a few days to mature before I watched my mum skinning it. Maturing them mellows the flavour a fair bit.

Happy days and sadly it's now been many years since I even saw a hare in wild!

Maturing them mellows the flavour a fair bit.
Pardon my ignorance but doesn't the aging help to break down the flesh?
Happy days and sadly it's now been many years since I even saw a hare in wild!
We have a shipload of feral rabbits in pockets all over our city that could be used as a source of protein. They do cause a lot of damage to vegetation. Instead, we cull them. Go figure.

Not really a fan of stews as such but I do understand cooking with blood and other goodie bits and how only a few changes can make all the difference.

I did have one rabbit stew at the house of a restaurant owner that was so good, I had to have seconds. The umami factor was so high, I would not attempt duplicating it.

My very first trip to Brussels of many the Alcatel guys took us to a local tavern for rabbit stew and a real tall glass of Belgian brew. This is the way to do business. The stew was based on gueuze lambic.

EDIT - This would have been lapin as opposed to lievre, the french differentiation of rabbit and hare.

Last edited:
Cal - hereabouts we also have an issue with feral rabbits - and deer for that matter- and from time to time the question is raised in letters to the editor, etc about "harvesting". While they could probably qualify as free range /organic ;) , there's always the concern about disease / parasites and lack of inspection.

Of course, only a little research into the factory methods employed by the meat/dairy and poultry industries and the efficacy of inspection agencies might lead one to gamble on feral game after all.