The food thread

Heading off to get my first good toaster oven. The others in the past have been such a disappoinment so I'm ready to bite the bullet and go for it. They have a super deal on at a local store right now so...

See ya. :)

The Smart Oven? | Breville

I was thinkong of getting my wife one for Christmas. She sent the one we had with the kids because she hates it.

The digital stuff is something I miss in my Bentley oven.

(and newer models that have it only go to 500F)
At the expense of security, I have a shitty 30€ oven which I opened and ripped out the thermostat circuit to get higher temps, so it works at full power all the time. It is a high risk, I know, but it's not at home. It's somehow in a covered space in the garden where it poses no risk, and for the price I don't really care for long life, it's not intended to be used frecuently.

I have an oven by this brand : Commercial oven, combi oven and professional cooking system | UNOX
(the name may look German, but it's Italian manufacture : Uno X)
The comparable size current model is the xvc305, can do 10 XL size pizzas in one go. Combi oven UNOX XVC305 - iPelican.com

Beauty of a combi-steamer is that vapors are extracted. With the steam control button set to zero and max temperature, the oven basically operates as an open door grill (but with the door closed).
Built-in, and at ~€3,500 + 21% tax, ripping out a thermostat is not my cup of tea (and you know what the weather is like overhere).

Oldy pic : www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/80296-ptfe-teflon-harmful.html#post925397
In order to handle the weight, the yellow cupboard is 2'' mdf all round, btw.
Water tap, drain pipe, and mains sockets are behind the cupboard. (the huge depth isn't very practical though)
To vent the excess steam, there's a hole in the outer wall at the front of the house. Still an amusing sight to see the wall of a home blow out steam.

Last edited:
I use a gas torch.

(got a crème brulée iron, but too much of a hassle)

That's what they use in restaurants these days.

6th of December approaching, it's speculoos time !

The recipe I use, approaching quite closely Dandoy's:

Ingredients:

- plain flour: 500gr
- butter: 150gr
- brown sugar: 300gr (not sure about the translation, in French it would be "vergeoise brune", in Belgian French "cassonnade", anyway, it is dark and comes from sugar beets, not sugar cane)
- water: 5 to 10cl
- sodium bicarbonate: 1 teaspoon
- cinnamon powder: 1.5 teaspoon
- 4 spices powder mix (1/4 black pepper, 1/4 cloves, 1/4 ginger, 1/4 nutmeg): 1 teaspoon

Recipe:

- whisk together the butter, spices and sugar until creamy.
- slowly add 5cl of water.
- add the flour and the bicarbonate to the mix
- mix it properly but no more than needed. If necessary add some water so that the dough sticks together into a ball
- put the ball of dough, covered, into a cold place, at least for 2hours, more is better.
- set your oven to 180°c
- flatten the dough (about 0.5cm), cut it into small pieces.
- bake for 8min at 180°c.
- let it dry after baking for a few min (it is normal if they go out of the oven not quite hardened yet).
- enjoy. :p

Pizza, a little different

1. Tortilla, spinach dip, asparagus, pickled cherry peppers and black olives
2. Add smoked sausage and cheese
3. Then Pepperoni and white onion
4. Baked in the new mini oven

Attachments

• IMG_2462.jpg
    IMG_2462.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_2463.jpg
    IMG_2463.jpg