The food thread

I don't know if it's the same as it was, but when we lived in Mass. we liked to get meat from Codman farms in Lincoln. One day there would be lambs in the field, and the next chops in the fridge or pigs or cows. I liked the old school honor system... Take the meat and leave an envelope of money in a box.
Codman Community Farms | Just another WordPress site

There are several farms now doing meat, my son buys a whole pig from one for sausage and ham. We are the local drop off for Brookfield Farms CSA but they stopped the meat when the Feds insisted it be processed by an outside inspected plant.

I bought a strip loin from one in Amherst a couple of years ago that was great.

Last edited:
Had one of those funny moments today. I was at the microwave in the snack lounge trying to make a new brand of ramen (they are starting to put real non-dried miso in a separate package) and one of our asian ex-pat technicians was making a hungry man burbon steak dinner next to me.

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
One of my co-workers worships Tex-Mex food. He offered his suggestion to a group of us as we were walking out of the office. I didn't enjoy the food very much. When I asked him why he loves it so much, he replied that they don't use real cheese, but the good government cheese. Ack!

Ohh, and a few weeks ago, while in the grocery story, I found the one small section where they stock Cento San Marzano tomatoes. We made pizza (of course). There..is..no...going...back. Not a chance. The family gave a very big thumbs up. I've already bought more for another round of pizza.

"Pied de cochon" -- or "trotters" --

On "The Spendid Table" NPR radio show, Ms. Kasper dispensed advice for pig's head -- seems that a communal hog slaughter resulted in one lucky recipient receiving this part of the animal. I guess you can make gelatin, and the cheeks are good. (Ms. Kasper usually makes anything unusual better with, you guesssed it, butter, garlic and white wine.)