The food thread

Arf. The only reason I bought a microwave was to ..nuke stuff, not food.

Jellyfish - oh well, probably lost on me. Ate it several times when I lived on Borneo; but it's not something I miss. Likewise buying live sago grubs in Limbang market... amongst other places. Or the 6-pack of live frogs.

However - the Chinese grocer 200yards from my office in Bristol UK usually has at least 3 kinds of belacan in stock! Udang Sambal om nom nom...

Jellyfish - oh well, probably lost on me.
Just a kid in a candy store thing, that's all. I enjoy it as the first of the dishes in the 10 course place we go to. Comes with two kinds of pork and other goodies. thought I would give it a try.

I always wondered what they did with the stuff that fell to the bottom of the tank. :D

belacan

I always wondered what they did with the stuff that fell to the bottom of the tank. :D

Not even that - it is, or should be, just shrimps, caught, dried in the sun then pounded whole with cili and bawang putih (um, say shallots) and then wrapped in muslin and buried in the beach for 4-6weeks. Fermented hightide scum; the ultimate seasoning - total dirty umami ;)

(something I can use on about three people I know & trust..!)

Not even that - it is, or should be, just shrimps, caught, dried in the sun then pounded whole with cili and bawang putih (um, say shallots) and then wrapped in muslin and buried in the beach for 4-6weeks. Fermented hightide scum; the ultimate seasoning - total dirty umami ;)

(something I can use on about three people I know & trust..!)

There are several fermented seafoods of note, the shark in Iceland I hear is quite something, Japan also has a fish one. I think they appear all over Asia in fact.

Gordon R. did his live puke on screen thing with the fermented shark. I think he had a near death food poisoning experience that he never got over.

You guys are too crabby for me tonight. I am cooking Jellyfish for the first time and am learning a lesson or two along the way. I bought a brine version of salted. I rinsed, blanched for 30 seconds and watched the poor things shrink into nothingness, so I doubled the amount.

Note to self: Don't do that.

My advise to you, young man -- stick with things that have fins and scales!

Are you kidding? She is a very patient woman. If she were get riled about all the things I do wrong, she'd would have:
1. Had a heart attack.
2. Had a stroke.
3. Ended up in the hospital in one of those white gowns.
4. Left me.
5. Had me knocked off.

I meant, 'anything else' implies (with an evil grin on your face) that you are not a stranger to exploding things in the microwave ;) it implies its regular enougfh to be fed up with it HA!. so I was querying 'what else' have you been putting in there?

Last edited:
Tried something interesting the other day - a snack food called 'indian nibbles' that someone brought to a party - kind of a spicy cracker with a strange savory flavor. I looked at the ingredients and the only one I didn't recognize was "black salt". Apparently it is a salt infused with sulfur compounds giving it a dark color - and it tastes a little bit like eggs.

That "black salt" is a wonderful flavour with a wonderful history. It comes from the Himalayas, from deposits that were discovered by Alexander the Great. It is an unusual salt, anywhere from pink to purple to black in colour, and yes, it contains a lot of iron and sulfur. It is a de rigeur component in Indian "chat masala" (along with amchur, or dried mango, and of course chilis), and has an unusual bitter and sulfurous flavour (as well as salty, of course). "Chat" simply means "snacks", and chat masala is served with street snacks like pakoras in India.