The food thread

Ceci n'est pas de la phlegm.

Attachments

• Cynthias Eggplant Parmesan by Cynthia Wenslow.jpg
    Cynthias Eggplant Parmesan by Cynthia Wenslow.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 127
Cheese

Made it to Fromagio today and it turns out I would have to pay for an entire Cabrales if I wanted one. Had to settle for some Azul de Valdeon, the real artisanal thing wrapped in leaves even though Wiki says this is not legal here. Very nice world class blue great with fig preserves on toast, not even registers on my stinky scale, just plain good.

Relative bargain at $18 a lb, Epoisses is now $42 a lb.

Last edited:
Made it to Fromagio today...

I'm a sharp cheddar fan, myself - for ~$12 a pound I typically get 6 year Widmer Cheddar. I also like tilsit and some aged gouda. Gorgonzola, Camembert and especially Feta.

I like roquefort, luckily only in small doses. Interestingly, I had a cold once - I couldn't taste the mold at all and it had a lovely savory 'umami' flavor and the mouthfeel was exquisite ;) The mold goes up the nose and sometimes dominates the flavor profile. A local college dairy mixes a blue cheese into a spread they call 'new world' that is surprisingly good.

A local gourmet cheese shop encourages sampling and I have tried quite a few, the only things I am not much of a fan of for 'eating cheese' (chunks by themselves or on bread) is Swiss variants - those seem to taste best in combination with other things, sandwiches, etc... For example, Parmeggiano in a chunk tastes a lot like dry, salty swiss cheese.

Epoisses is now $42 a lb.

Ouch. What's worse is that it's hit or miss, depending on source, affinage, and the alignment of the heavens. Sort of like red Burgundy.

Speaking of which, a '98 Chandon de Brailles Pernand-Vergelesses "Ile de Vergelesses" was surprisingly excellent last night, despite the down-market image of P-V and the relatively mediocre reputation of the vintage.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Sometimes you cross the bear and sometimes, well, he crosses you.
(it's bearable)

Jan is from Breda, industrial/transport roots, where the heavy/special road division of Mammoet transport originated, a company called Stoof. (even old enough to have met No1 Stoof in person as a kid : Heavy Lift and transport page )
Not a location to find a decent couvert, sooner grub. :clown:

(I'm from a little barbarian village called hittatheneighbor �© Woody Harrelson, Anger Management '03. Old tradition there, afaih, once a year)

Close. I'm actually from that Amusement Park nearby (always got free year tickets when a kid, gave me mom some time off).

jan

Ouch. What's worse is that it's hit or miss, depending on source, affinage, and the alignment of the heavens. Sort of like red Burgundy.

Speaking of which, a '98 Chandon de Brailles Pernand-Vergelesses "Ile de Vergelesses" was surprisingly excellent last night, despite the down-market image of P-V and the relatively mediocre reputation of the vintage.

Yea, 8oz. Epoisses Berthaut at $21.00 each, the cheese/wine lady made a funny smile when I asked for the Cabrales. You really need to have some time to walk over there when you visit next, they have a wine and beer license now and stock many "difficult" wines. Who else packs four Vin Jaune in a 100sq ft wine department.

Hi sonidos,

Does it go well with cuy?;)

I imagine...I could not tell...:(
It is easier to source chicken and beef.

Hi Ron E.
Sounds like shepherd's pie but with corn instead of potatoes on top.

Not only on top but verywhere: it's a corn pudding so to speak, prepared with a paste of crushed corn (a powerful juicer is used today), then combined with the filler, as the recipee tells, then to the oven...it's not so difficult to cook, I imagine, though I've never done it myself :angel:

Cheers,
M.

I'm a sharp cheddar fan, myself

That reminds me, my father grew up in southern Ontario farm country (luckily his Naval career meant I was born and grew up in Nova Scotia). He told me that when he was a kid, every fall when his parents sold their harvest his father (my grandfather) would buy a big wheel of aged cheddar from one of the nearby dairy farms. Apparently he would cut a plug out of the middle of the wheel, leaving a void of about 250ml, which he would fill with dark rum, then seal the cheese with wax, wrap it in cloth, and put it in the (unheated) attic, where it would age another year or so while the rum slowly flavored the cheese. I never tasted it, but I gather it was pretty good (Ontario cheddar is generally very good anyway).

While we're on the topic, my fave "every day" cheddar is Collier's Powerful Welsh Cheddar (Collier's Powerful Welsh Cheddar).