The food thread

Here's a good article -- we can't export soft cheeses from France for the past 12 or 15 years -- a group of Wisconsin farmers perhaps the rules will bend back in our favor and perhaps for the artisanal cheese industry:

NA-BW554_RAWMIL_G_20130527162804.jpg

One Small Win for Raw Milk - WSJ.com

Dear Cal,
I'm not kidding: eggplant is God-sent...
Then please send it back whence it came.

I'm not kidding. I have been served it in more ways than I care to remember. It's not for me, never will be. I do eat it, but under protest. I ate it on Saturday, I ate it last week. I would never cook it, I would never serve it to my friends.

Then please send it back whence it came.

I'm not kidding. I have been served it in more ways than I care to remember. It's not for me, never will be. I do eat it, but under protest. I ate it on Saturday, I ate it last week. I would never cook it, I would never serve it to my friends.

Here too, eggplant is part of the deadly nightshade family some of which I just don't like or they disagree with me (itching, hives) while some don't bother me at all. With tomatos it goes by variety, I just can't figure it out.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Here too, eggplant is part of the deadly nightshade family some of which I just don't like or they disagree with me (itching, hives) while some don't bother me at all. With tomatos it goes by variety, I just can't figure it out.

Yes, I can cut up jalapenos and serranos just fine, but if I de-seed a poblano, my hands are on fire like I just slathered Ben-Gay all over them.:confused:

No, I wasn't joking. I have no problems with Rochefort; OTOH I have a slight problem with pus smelling things. Anyway, I'm beginning to doubt...maybe it was another cheese....I went there for the cider, it is a famous place to drink that stuff, maybe you know it:

Inicio | Pollos asados Madrid | Casa Mingo
Yeah, I know Casa Mingo famous for it roasted chicken. This weekend I was in Santander and had the pleasure to try "vino turbio". It's like some kind of dirty sparkling white wine. Just delicious. Accompanied with fried squid and onion.
BTW, I went yesterday to a handcrafted beer meeting, was fun and above all pretty educational :shhh:

Eggplant fan here. Cut them in 1 cm. slices, coat them in batter and deepfry in olive oil. God's pleasure. They're faboulous too with ground meat as maxlorenz proposes. Also had a GF that never cooked :eek: But I still have a mother and grandma that made them for me.
A pretty similar food is that, how do you call them? Here they're "calabacines".
Cucurbita pepo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Attachments

• beer.jpg
    beer.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 108
  • 4871-Turbio500x500.jpg
    4871-Turbio500x500.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 109
Forgot to ask, I haven't been there for more than 20 years, does the Cabrales smell like stinky rotten feet? I've checked the menu and looks like I wasn't wrong. Nothing to do with the Roquefort smell anyway.

Chesse can also have smell from Staphylococcus, related to valeric acid and subject of dorm room stink bombs (a tiny vial left open was enough) from my chemist friends, as well as the more common bacteria found on everyone's body (Brevibacterium). The third smell would be from the penicillium mold used in blue cheeses.

Some of these are encouraged over others by improper wrapping and storage.

EDIT - It was isovaleric acid I think, SY?

Last edited:
I think so. It's also one of the main components in the brett aromas we love so much in Rhone wines and Burgundy.

Retro night last night chez nous:

Finishing the Crepes Suzette we made for dessert last night | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
The Finished Item

Damn, they were really, really good. Real Cointreau instead of cheap Triple Sec.

When there I sought out the Senior Family version of the original. I guess we can thank the Moors again, The oranges reverted to their wild form in the new world and they cooked up the spirits. Only their stuff compared to Cointreau the rest were pretty industrial.

Jacco really Bols, http://www.curacaoliqueur.com/history and the Arabs were distilling long before anyone.

EDIT - BTW the blue color is a totally stupid marketing gimic.

Last edited:
One of my favorite local chefs, who happens to hail from the same part of Austria as my grandparents

My ancestors are from northern Germany, but I spent a school year in Austria. I miss Austrian food, especially breads and meats.
Schwarzbrot
Semmeln
Knoedel
Schnitzel (many kinds)
Brezeln
I had this really wonderful dish with green lentils and fried eggs that was amazing - wish I knew what it was called...

Blutwurst is disgusting, though you might like it if you can stomach liver ;)
The only liver I can eat is pate where the amount of other stuff (onion, butter, cheese) at least equals the amount of liver... Most other organ meats I've had taste rather liver-y as well, or have an objectionable texture ;)

When I came back from a year over there, almost everything here smelled artificial and disgusting. There was a fanny farmer candy shop in the airport at o'hare that nauseated our entire group.