Patenting by the diyaudio.com?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just a question ,I don't know if this is OT or not. If I invented a new type of loud speaker( say a 6" woofer because that's the size I decided to make it.) would the patent apply to all sizes of woofers mids and tweets that the technology was applicable to? Or would I have to have working models for all imaginable sizes? As well since my day job sucks balls and I am just the little guy, I once heard that you could mail the invention back to yourself ( thru registered mail) and that would qualify as proir art)???? Maybe?

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I guess a patent is only worth something if someone else really want to buy it from you, at your price

if you want to use it yourself, maybe best to just keep shut about it, and not tell anyone

product ought to sell well because of superior quality, due to your invention
and not because you tell your customers about your patent
but sure, we know how it works
we buy dreams, promisses, and patents

Just a question ,I don't know if this is OT or not. If I invented a new type of loud speaker( say a 6" woofer because that's the size I decided to make it.) would the patent apply to all sizes of woofers mids and tweets that the technology was applicable to? Or would I have to have working models for all imaginable sizes? As well since my day job sucks balls and I am just the little guy, I once heard that you could mail the invention back to yourself ( thru registered mail) and that would qualify as proir art)???? Maybe?
If written properly you can cover any speaker size you want. For example you could say.

Claim 1: A loudspeaker comprised of blah blah blah (you could insert the size by saying "A loudspeaker comprised of ... having a radial diameter of 0.25-100").
Claim 2: A loudspeaker as discussed in claim 1 with part 1 of your invention
Claim 3: A loudspeaker as discussed in claim 2 with part 2 of your invention
and so on.

Or you could include it in the definitions:
A loudspeaker is an electromechanical device which converts an AC voltage into sound. The device is comprised of a cone, coil, blah blah blah and has a radial diameter of 0.25-100".

If you do patent the design, don't forget to include things like cone depth (flat versus well cone like), dust cap design, cone shape (square, oval, round, etc.)

The GPL would be here:
The GNU General Public License v3.0 - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation (FSF)

Also, along similar lines is Creative Commons:
Creative Commons
Creative Commons is a nonprofit organization that develops, supports, and stewards legal and technical infrastructure that maximizes digital creativity, sharing, and innovation.
I don't know why they're so specific with "digital creativity" (actually this is just me being a pedant), as I have some analog circuitry I might want to release under such a license, as no doubt others here do too.

I guess a patent is only worth something if someone else really want to buy it from you, at your price

if you want to use it yourself, maybe best to just keep shut about it, and not tell anyone

product ought to sell well because of superior quality, due to your invention
and not because you tell your customers about your patent
but sure, we know how it works
we buy dreams, promisses, and patents
And if it's worth enough for them to buy/license a patent, they may run a credit check on you to see if you've got a few extra millions to spend in defending an infringement, and if not they'll go ahead and use your patent and not worry about being sued, or know they'll end up paying less in attorney fees than they would for a license.

But then getting a patent on something brings attention to it as something you think is valuable, and that you want to protect. Perhaps you should then NOT patent THAT thing, but rather something ELSE in your device that you don't really care of others infringe on, sort of as a red herring.* Let OTHERS figure out what is the actual unique and valuable part of your device...

"Claim 1: An amplifier consisting of an Operational Amplifier and two resistors, featuring a non-inverting characteristic, fixed gain and a high input impedance ..."

* This is my second DIYaudio post today mentioning red herring. I must like the phrase.

Must be because they party all day rather than actually READ the submissions. I am amazed bu the number of patents issued that cover prior art or how they award a patent on a vague twist of application, not really unique.

The iPhone had a patent on "sleek design"

A consumer product with sleek design! I think Raymond Loewy would be spinning in his grave.

Must be because they party all day rather than actually READ the submissions. I am amazed bu the number of patents issued that cover prior art or how they award a patent on a vague twist of application, not really unique.

A consumer product with sleek design! I think Raymond Loewy would be spinning in his grave.
But that one is (cough) enforceable, mostly because it's a Big Company, and the Big Company is willing to spend Big Bucks to defend it.

You have to understand how the law works. "Right and wrong" and the law are two different things. This also applies to other areas of law.

What's the patent number?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.