Patenting by the diyaudio.com?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think the get-out is that the patent holder can only claim on the basis of his commercial losses due to your infringement? He would have to show on the balance of probabilities that you would have bought one of his widgets instead of making your own. The bad publicity is not good for his public image (although that does not seem to stop the big boys from threatening small boys with similar business names).

Hi
I am an engineer and a laywer. My legal work covers contract law and intellectual property rights.
The main problem with patenting an idea or retaining intellectual property rights in something is that if you are serious about your position you will need to consider going to court to enforce your rights. That could be expensive.
My employers do hold a number of engineering patents. However these days we rarely apply for patents but simply keep information private and ensure that we have confidelity provisions in place with anyone we discuss our ideas with. That way our information remains private.
If you place your ideas on diyaudio you are making the ideas available to diyers and it becomes public knowledge. You could probably still apply for a patent but I am not sure it helps much if the information is already public knowledge.
I just hope everyone keeps providing information to diyaudio without worying about patents as diyaudio provides a great service to amateur and professional audio diyers world wide.

Don

I was involved as an expert witness in one case where a HUGE company (can't say who because of NDA, but I guarantee you use their products) was sued by an independent inventor who had put together a nuisance patent. The patent was clearly invalid, but after a year of discovery, depositions, expert witnesses, and a few tons of documents, the big company paid this guy $8 million to go away. He probably kept $4 million of it after contingency fees. I was told that he collected even more from Sony in a similar suit. Total bogus case, but very profitable.

I'll consider that an additional data point illustrating the dark side of patents.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Everything started in the wrong way.

First.
I hit the wrong button. I should have chosen the Lounge Forum, not the Everything Else, for more than one reason. Please moderators, can you move this thread?

Second.
I didn’t mean to insult anyone here.
The forum might decide to reward participants contributing to a patendable idea .

This can act as a motivation for more productive thinking and more positive participation attitude for the members.

Neither I thought it feasible to have the forum pay money to some participants, nor I implied that.
Rewarding doesn’t necessarily mean “financial reward” either.
(After all, we all have/had enough of real financial rewards in our regular jobs. Don’t/didn’t we? :D)

A T-Shirt with the forum’s logo stamped on it and some funny relevant writing like “You’re the 32nd on the Nerd’s list” - provided that the forum would develop such a list and the members would know it’s meaning- is a motivation. (I am old minded.:) I still value proper motivations).

Third.
I didn’t mean to upset anyone here, or to invoke any fear.
I just hope everyone keeps providing information to diyaudio without worrying about patents as diyaudio provides a great service to amateur and professional audio diyers world wide.

My proposal (“Patenting by the diyaudio.com?”) fuelled your frustration for the patent system.
Although I don’t hold the patent system to a high esteem,
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/100408-results-m97xe-mod-5.html#post1201466
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/100408-results-m97xe-mod-5.html#post1201628
I still believe that it serves a purpose.

But reading your posts which are based on your past traumatic encounter with the monster, made me think: It really sucks.

I was under the impression - I mean it - that it is only in Greece that we have the talent to screw thinks that bad.

I wonder, is there some Greeks that have intervened to make it work that way :D, or is it something else that deteriorated it’s functionality so much? *(PS 1)

In any case, if such a vital system does not function as intended, it has to be either repaired or replaced. *(PS 2)

The fine mixture of naivety and moronism that I possess and maintain - the one that forced me start this thread – has raised your blood pressure. May it too spark your ingenuity to find a way to cross-link this labyrinth *(PS 3)

All in all, my apologies for the tension I created.

Regards
George

*(PS 1) dS=dQ/T ?

*(PS 2) N/A for Greece :D

*(PS 3) :
SY wrote: "Second Law is a bitch."
SY wrote: " IP law is a bitch."
(Under the same context: My wife is a bitch.)
This leads to: IP law = Second Law: There is hope for Your creativity going forward. *(PS 4)
(This leads also to: Second Law = My wife: There is hope for me continuing practicing my hobby.)

*(PS 4) “Trade marking” maybe? (I hear it coming :D)

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I'll move the thread, though it's not really out of place here.

Thank you.
It will make the life of the moderator easier.

My second wife was the Second Law incarnate.

What a coincidence!
My wife - the one that I mentioned above – is my second one.

It’s this hate/love dipole of my feelings toward the Second Law that are so intense and similar with the reciprocal love/hate toward my wife that make me confident that I will not proceed to the third.

But just in case, you said the Third Law is…. :D

My third wife violates the Third Law in that she's pretty much perfect.

SY You left me speechless! Perpetua and Felicity :)

My complements

Regards
George

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member

Attachments

• My Second Law.JPG
    My Second Law.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
I fought a patent suit that had no merit for a year. I had the stone proof of prior art, and I had the inventor of the prior art on retainer to testify.

Same here, someone was actually granted a patent on the current feedback amplifier in 1998 and sued the entire IC industry (the examiner is well known as bad). We had to spend a fortune of wasted time on this.

Same here, someone was actually granted a patent on the current feedback amplifier in 1998 and sued the entire IC industry (the examiner is well known as bad). We had to spend a fortune of wasted time on this.

Any chance to patent the wheel (or hot water for what it matters)? ;-)
Scott, can you please elaborate a little bit your statement.
IIRC Comlinear patented the current feedback amplifier in early '80

Joined 2002
Paid Member
… something of a patent pool as a collective pre-emptive strike, similar to, say, the OIN?

Jacques Merde

Thank you very much for providing this information.
I wasn’t aware of OIN Open Invention Network, but from what I read on their site (the highlighted part of the quoted text), I think that these people have spotted the (now) systemic deficiencies of the patent system, have acknowledged the halt to productivity that these cause and using their thinking and their experience, improvised a very efficient way to “cross-link this labyrinth”

…Central to the achievement of his goals is the acquisition and transfer of patent rights designed to permit members of the Linux ecosystem to operate free of the threat of assertion and litigation from those whose business models are antithetical to innovation and global economic growth in information technology and computing.
Prior to joining the Open Invention Network®, Mr. Bergelt served as president and CEO of two Hedge Funds – Paradox Capital and IPI – formed to unlock the considerable asset value of patents, trademarks and copyrights in middle market companies. Paradox and IPI were the first Funds of their kind to offer specialty lending products supported exclusively by intellectual property. Driven by Mr. Bergelt's creativity and entrepreneurial approach, these funds enabled the emergence of patents, trademarks and copyrights as a viable source of collateral in asset-based loans, forever reshaping the emerging IP Finance landscape….

As for what I had in my (naïve) mind excluding the writing in post #1, is not important at least at this stage.

Again, thank you very much for providing this positive information.

Regards
George

Any chance to patent the wheel (or hot water for what it matters)? ;-)
Scott, can you please elaborate a little bit your statement.
IIRC Comlinear patented the current feedback amplifier in early '80

No elaboration necessary, bad examiner misses it, patent issued, invalidating an issued patent costs from $1-4 million in legal fees. In Texas you dress up your inventor as a poor victim and chances are the jury has no clue at all what anyone is talking about. Ask SY.

Yes the main claims read directly onto the basic CF op-amp.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.