LANCE ARMSTRONG a true sports hero!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I do remember Jan Ullrich (2nd places record ever, AFAIK) and how I wanted him to beat LA :)
and Pantani, and Riis. all 3 doped. Indurain? IDK...

USADA new slogan ...... !!!

Rope a Doper Lately ....:D

This is all BS really, no way this is going to cleanup cycling, do they intend to go after the obvious Chinese dopers , is china going to disgrace their Olympians for doping ...:rolleyes:

Agree with nakamoomin, no way this is all Armstrong , no differently than when we have Wall St fraud, there is always a scapegoat for the "owners" to hide behind. Scapegoats come and go, the game remains the same, very obvious, here we are into a second term with our New Commander in Brief and nothing has changed...:rolleyes:

From what I understand Lance has cheated from the beginning of his career until he got caught and that was the only reason he would have stopped. I have said for a long time that he probably gave himself the cancer, that is common with roid users and he admitted to using them. The disgraced doctor who gave him the mix even changed his mix of drugs as he thought the same. What really gets me the most is that he intentionally went after other riders when they did nothing to him, he was viscous to say the least and a liar at a minimum. I hope they take every dollar he has away and that may give him a little humility but I doubt that very much,. he is a true sociopath and narcissistic, and is still lying even now. He makes Jessie James, the bike builder look like a nice guy! He screwed over so many others and took away their livelihoods for his own aggrandizement, basically ruined Gregg Lamond's business, nice bikes by the way, just to shut him up. Lance is the pits, no business ever in any type of sport for that type of guy. I pity the guys who put these people on a pedestal even if they cheat, goes to show what they would do in the same situation.

Oh, and he did get that kick to the nut - those titles were stripped from him, as they should.

To me it´s all the same now, he can keep the titles, there were so many dopers in that era so they´re more or less worthless anyway. No, I´m talking about a literal forceful kick from an normal adult man, placed squarely at the groin. ;) One for each win. Let him keep the cash and the wins (they´re shams at best). The kicks are for the few clean riders that never stood a chance and the ones pushed to doping by the regime Lance was a part of. There are far more riders that deserve a kick in the nuts, but for now Lance will do as an ambassador for all of them.

As someone noted the sport was so dirty back then, so I find it hard to believe the sponsors were completely in the dark anyway.. If they were then I hope they´ve learned a lesson...

From what I understand Lance has cheated from the beginning of his career until he got caught and that was the only reason he would have stopped. I have said for a long time that he probably gave himself the cancer, that is common with roid users and he admitted to using them. The disgraced doctor who gave him the mix even changed his mix of drugs as he thought the same. What really gets me the most is that he intentionally went after other riders when they did nothing to him, he was viscous to say the least and a liar at a minimum. I hope they take every dollar he has away and that may give him a little humility but I doubt that very much,. he is a true sociopath and narcissistic, and is still lying even now. He makes Jessie James, the bike builder look like a nice guy! He screwed over so many others and took away their livelihoods for his own aggrandizement, basically ruined Gregg Lamond's business, nice bikes by the way, just to shut him up. Lance is the pits, no business ever in any type of sport for that type of guy. I pity the guys who put these people on a pedestal even if they cheat, goes to show what they would do in the same situation.

What did he have to do with Greg, I'm interesting in hearing , I never heard about this .... :confused:

To me it´s all the same now, he can keep the titles, there were so many dopers in that era so they´re more or less worthless anyway. No, I´m talking about a literal forceful kick from an normal adult man, placed squarely at the groin. ;) One for each win. Let him keep the cash and the wins (they´re shams at best). The kicks are for the few clean riders that never stood a chance and the ones pushed to doping by the regime Lance was a part of. There are far more riders that deserve a kick in the nuts, but for now Lance will do as an ambassador for all of them.

As someone noted the sport was so dirty back then, so I find it hard to believe the sponsors were completely in the dark anyway.. If they were then I hope they´ve learned a lesson...

The sport has been dirty ever since they started putting air in the tires, not just this era ..

Wayne,
From what I understand he went after the financing of Gregg's bike company. He literally had a hand in his company going under as Gregg was saying that Lance was doping long ago. I forget her name but the wife who was in the interviews and said she heard him in the hospital talking to the doctors about his drug use said he made sure Gregg's company was shut down by whatever nefarious powers he had. He ruined people if he wanted to. If I was one of the people who got sued by him for saying what he did I sure would go after him for fraud now. He will have no defense, why he came out and admitted anything is beyond me, but I suspect that enough evidence has now been gathered that he was going to get it anyway. A cheat is a cheat. If you are an amateur rider you sure wouldn't want to have to race against a jerk like him. I remember stories they use to print about how Lance had a larger heart than others and that is why he was so much better than anyone else. It never made sense that he could ride at the level he was at without some kind of chemical help, no athlete can keep it up that long and always come out on top. Makes me want to go and buy a new Lemond bike if they were still available, but they are not, I'll just have to stay with my CIOCC or Eddy Merck's bikes.

Only if their contract stipulates he had to be drug free when winning and the statute of limitations is 5 yrs from 2005 ....

So good luck on that ....

I understand neither case relates directly to doping.

The first one is because he won a libel case he fraudulently won against a newspaper which claimed he was doping.
So the accusation would not be doping but fraud and/or perjury.

I think the second one relates to win bonuses and since he is no longer the winner that would probably breach of contract amongst the accusations.

Isn't there an old proverb; "What a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive?"

I am interested in this thread and a lot of common sense has been aired on both sides but it strikes me that the TRUST issue is what really gets people going. If many of us find the most fulfillment in life comes from relationships then honesty/trust/faith etc are keys to those relationships. And when lies (or another major breach of trust) occurs I think it strikes at the heart of our overt, or tacitly held, deep assumptions about life and its potential for being rewarding and having meaning......

What did he have to do with Greg, I'm interesting in hearing , I never heard about this .... :confused:

Trek Bikes had a licensing to market a line of bikes under the LeMond name. Armstrong was sponsored by Trek, when LeMond made the statement about Ferrari, Armstrong went out to destroy LeMond. Part of this was getting Trek to drop the LeMond licensing agreement.

Despicable on Armstrong's part.

Article on this from last Oct.

Walsh on LeMond: Enduring the vengeance of Armstrong

Someone mentions in the article that they once saw Gregg smoke a joint or something to that affect. I would sure like to see any doctor or anyone else say that is a performance enhancing drug that you would do before a race. That isn't much different from having a drink before a ride, won't make you any faster but at least you may not crash like you would if drinking.......

The key question is did "we" that is society, create Armstrong. Second place means nothing and we only want winners not losers. This creates a situation to always win at any cost. Nobody wants to be a "loser". Do you? I have not once heard this question posed in the media but I think it is true and is so embarrassing that no one wants to mention it.

Seems true, but then why would there be so many competitors in the TdF since most can't possibly believe they could win. I lean toward the hopeful and like to think that people will gravitate to the additive-free athletes once the full truth is known.

He's a cheat, a liar and let's be honest about it, knowing that he was cheating kind of makes him a thief as well. He cheated his sponsors out of money and clean riders out of the right to make a good living. Basically he's a despicable bullying, scumbag and I hope he gets sued out of existence and is banned from ever being able to compete professionally again.

No one is forced to win at any cost, it's a sport and everyone is expected to play by the rules.

This utter lunacy of Sports-hero, Actor,Actress, (name you preference) worshiping, has got to end!
Long long ago I stopped, ended my like of sports...of all kinds. Actors & Actresses of TV & movies........need no adulation, You or I could easily spew some lines of dialogue, given Eleven times to get it right. The theater is different. Often times the enthusiast comes across his/her "hero" trying to get some lunch........is snubbed severely........pop goes the balloon.......onto another obsession.
All of these characters are "engineered"......the 16 year-old 6'5" child gets doped with growth hormones "I'm gonna be a basket-ball star" to the 16 girl who gets the breast implants "I'm gonna be a star!" to the 275 Lb boy who gets the steroids injected "I'm gonna be a body-builder star!".
This obsession must end, they do not deserve you adulation nor your time.

______________________________________________________Rick.......

Wayne,
From what I understand he went after the financing of Gregg's bike company. He literally had a hand in his company going under as Gregg was saying that Lance was doping long ago. I forget her name but the wife who was in the interviews and said she heard him in the hospital talking to the doctors about his drug use said he made sure Gregg's company was shut down by whatever nefarious powers he had. He ruined people if he wanted to. If I was one of the people who got sued by him for saying what he did I sure would go after him for fraud now. He will have no defense, why he came out and admitted anything is beyond me, but I suspect that enough evidence has now been gathered that he was going to get it anyway. A cheat is a cheat. If you are an amateur rider you sure wouldn't want to have to race against a jerk like him. I remember stories they use to print about how Lance had a larger heart than others and that is why he was so much better than anyone else. It never made sense that he could ride at the level he was at without some kind of chemical help, no athlete can keep it up that long and always come out on top. Makes me want to go and buy a new Lemond bike if they were still available, but they are not, I'll just have to stay with my CIOCC or Eddy Merck's bikes.

If he went after greg like that , i want to kick him in the nut ..:)

For the record and to be clear , I'm not a lance fan, nor am i defending him, greg is my rider of choice , what Im totally against is seeing the athlete take the full brunt in these situations, the hypocrisy is off the chain and its obvious this is personal and with all these stories i can see why...

Whats also Obvious , is Lance alone, could not have been the mastermind behind this , he had to have had help, there has to be a big fish somewhere, worst the way it was done to take him down , Shiite is splattering everywhere , no one is going to be left clean after this ...

Worth it ...?

Where do they go from here .....?

Last edited:
He's a cheat, a liar and let's be honest about it, knowing that he was cheating kind of makes him a thief as well. He cheated his sponsors out of money and clean riders out of the right to make a good living. Basically he's a despicable bullying, scumbag and I hope he gets sued out of existence and is banned from ever being able to compete professionally again.

No one is forced to win at any cost, it's a sport and everyone is expected to play by the rules.

Here is where i have an issue , who are these clean riders , I guess they never made it to the TDF, we cant blame the cesspool that which is cycling on Armstrong, the sport is corrupt and nasty , he did not make it that way , ask Merckx who had every single record during his time and that includes track records too ...

Yep ..

Seems true, but then why would there be so many competitors in the TdF since most can't possibly believe they could win. I lean toward the hopeful and like to think that people will gravitate to the additive-free athletes once the full truth is known.

The drug free rider wont be giving you the kind of rides we have seen in the last 20 yrs , expect a lot of nothing rest days and cruising thru the mountains for 21 days ...

Wait unless you believe last years winner was drug free ..... :)

Wayne,
It is just like the Barry Bonds and other baseball players of a few years ago. The sport has to really decide to clean up its act or people will loose interest. Wasn't it obvious that all of a sudden baseball players could hit the ball so far and looked like Arnold from the terminator with huge arms and necks. Those guys are gone now and this is what is going to be needed in cycling. I agree that Lance wasn't alone in what he did, there were doctors and many others involved in this and it was all for the money. The sponsors who are crying foul I bet had a hand in all of this. You don't just go to the corner drug dealer and get the stuff they were all taking. But Lance did twist arms to get his teammates to do it also so they could support him on the ride. We all know that when you are riding you can draft off of someone else and save a lot of energy, and this is why he needed his teammates to help him during the rides. Save your energy for the end of the race!

You do realize the winner last year was doping too, interesting to see how they deal with it ..

Wayne,
It is just like the Barry Bonds and other baseball players of a few years ago. The sport has to really decide to clean up its act or people will loose interest. Wasn't it obvious that all of a sudden baseball players could hit the ball so far and looked like Arnold from the terminator with huge arms and necks. Those guys are gone now and this is what is going to be needed in cycling. I agree that Lance wasn't alone in what he did, there were doctors and many others involved in this and it was all for the money. The sponsors who are crying foul I bet had a hand in all of this. You don't just go to the corner drug dealer and get the stuff they were all taking. But Lance did twist arms to get his teammates to do it also so they could support him on the ride. We all know that when you are riding you can draft off of someone else and save a lot of energy, and this is why he needed his teammates to help him during the rides. Save your energy for the end of the race!

Agree , but it was the best of baseball to me and the same for cycling , LA 7tour
Wins were the best ever and i have watched for years and this is coming from someone who originally thought taking power bars on a ride was cheating ...:)

Ps: You do realize past records were set by ones juicing , juicing dont give you talent , obvious past record holders had help ...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.