LANCE ARMSTRONG a true sports hero!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What an amazing athelete! Lance takes back command of the
Tour de France today after falling near the end of the stage. And
just days a go the European sports pundits were writing him off.
Don't mess with TEXAS!

In a time when sports gives all it's attention and headlines to
your various multi-million dollar rouges - it's nice to see Lance
doing so well.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

He's a formidable athlete and a good sport to boot.

I watch the last hour this afternoon and was truly impressed with his performance.

The chevalresque waiting of Jan Ulrich for Lamce to recover from his fall and the subsequent adrenaline rush may well cost Ulrich the Tour...

Exciting and exhilerating sports event,;)

something else to mention, Jan Ulrich was a good sport in holding
up and allowing lance to catch up with the group, after the fall.

"I'm really grateful for Jan for remembering my gesture of two years ago. What goes around, comes around," said Armstrong, who waited for Ullrich when he crashed coming down a steep descent in the 2001 Tour. "The tables were turned two years ago when I did what I did. I appreciated he did what he did."

should be interesting to watch the time trial on Saturday!

fdegrove said:
Hi,

He's a formidable athlete and a good sport to boot.

I watch the last hour this afternoon and was truly impressed with his performance.

The chevalresque waiting of Jan Ulrich for Lamce to recover from his fall and the subsequent adrenaline rush may well cost Ulrich the Tour...

Exciting and exhilerating sports event,;)

It was simply returning a favor that was extended to him earlier in the tour. The best will win in the end.

Lance Armstrong banned and stripped of titles

Wow. Poor Lance.
"After more than a decade spent trying to out-pedal the truth, it finally caught up to him."
I don't really know what the truth is, other than Lance Armstrong's success did raise awareness of cycling in the States for the better.
Oh, well. We still have LeMond.

I do have to wonder, the type of cancer he has overcome and high hormone levels?

Wins and/or doping aside, I would still suggest his level of effort and determination was as high as it gets. A true athlete. Doping may have let him win, but in no way was it easier than the effort the next person out out. It is hard to have hero's fall. Especially when they are from Texas.

I do have to wonder, the type of cancer he has overcome and high hormone levels?

Wins and/or doping aside, I would still suggest his level of effort and determination was as high as it gets. A true athlete. Doping may have let him win, but in no way was it easier than the effort the next person put out. It is hard to have hero's fall. Especially when they are from Texas.

He had stage 3 testicular cancer, which means he lost one of them, but the body can compensate and he has fathered two more children naturally. I don't know if his natural testosterone level was high or low. He was an exceptional athlete.

I heard speculation on NPR about who would be the winners if Lance lost his titles. They were speaking with a French cycling expert or something. They guess that all the top ten competitors or more during that time had already been disqualified for doping.
So if Lance did dope, and I am not entirely sure he did, he won 7 tours against people who were also doping.
Level playing field...he still is the best cyclist and an awesome athlete. He was just working with the culture of the time

I heard speculation on NPR about who would be the winners if Lance lost his titles. They were speaking with a French cycling expert or something. They guess that all the top ten competitors or more during that time had already been disqualified for doping.
So if Lance did dope, and I am not entirely sure he did, he won 7 tours against people who were also doping.
Level playing field...he still is the best cyclist and an awesome athlete. He was just working with the culture of the time

I don't have a problem with doping. I think the quest to have "clean" athletes is silly. I also think that the laws concerning anabolic steroids are completely stupid and are based on lies and misinformation. Putting testosterone in the same class of illegal drugs as cocaine and heroin is just mind boggingly stupid in my opinion. It's all thanks to Joe Biden, and some others.

So yeah, it's pretty funny that so many of the Tour de France competitors of the time were also disqualified for doping. They'll have to pick someone from 20th place or so to declare the "clean" winner.

He'd be more of a man if he stood up in court and fought his corner, as pointed out in a thread I started, what's going to happen to his charity funded by corporate sponsorship money?
IF he's innocent, then yes, what an amazing achivement and what a complete mess USADA have created, If guilty then the team management should be banned from all sporting activities as well.
He was just working with the culture of the time
Does this make CHEATING RIGHT?
Considering his teams management at the time had come off the back of the Festina scandal, Tyler Hamilton being stripped of his US national RR title (under same management) and ditto for Alberto Contador, I personally remain very sceptical.
I still find it incredulous that USADA hasn't got its teeth into other American sports like Baseball and Football - MAYBE too scared to demolish kiddies hero's and cause corporate sponsors to loose vast sums of money and face.
Might seem as I'm anti USA - not at all, Steven Roache, who did the triple (TDF, Giro d'Italia and World RR) admitted to having doped should be stripped too........as should all cheats, no two year ban, BAN FOR LIFE.

Well, like I said, I don't consider doping to be cheating and I think this whole area is just a witch hunt based on some Puritanical ideal of the perfect athlete. Calling people cheats is just a silly judgment in my opinion and it seems to come from some ideal fantasy of the natural born hero who triumphs over all when in reality sports is just entertainment and nothing more than that. Calling an athlete a cheat because they dope is EXACTLY the same thing as calling an actress a cheat because she got a boob job or a face lift. There is no difference in my opinion.

Last edited:
clean winning athletes are important because they are models and the way they train and race are regarded as recipes for ultimate performance. If the high council treat the using of drugs as ''normal'', then more people will use these drugs and new drugs will develop at the cost of health for the benefit of fame . Do we really want that sports become like ,say, formula one, where the team behind to tweak the ''car'' is taking a huge place in the result of the race.

clean winning athletes are important because they are models and the way they train and race are regarded as recipes for ultimate performance. If the high council treat the using of drugs as ''normal'', then more people will use these drugs and new drugs will develop at the cost of health for the benefit of fame . Do we really want that sports become like ,say, formula one, where the team behind to tweak the ''car'' is taking a huge place in the result of the race.

Pfft. Dream on. It's already like Formula 1. It's just more entertainment and has the same value.

Well, like I said, I don't consider doping to be cheating
Better give Ben Johnson 'his' Gold Medal back then, aye?

Regardless of whether you agree with doping or not, if there are rules in place which are then disregarded, fair's fair, suffer the consequences if caught breaking those rules. If not, then hell, I'll hop on my scooter and win the next 6 Tour-De-France's!!!

But, whatever, we have Bradley Wiggins who I hope didn't have to resort to cheating.

Andy

lok at me in the eyes, Dirkwright and tell me you find this beautiful.

Attachments

• beardwoman.jpg
    beardwoman.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 245
  • womwnbeard2.jpg
    womwnbeard2.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.