I gotta build me one uh these!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
With more than 700v across some places, I'd be careful.

Apart from that, looks like an almost reasonable circuit design.

The "to center of the sun" part may be a little tricky, I'll have a mess-around with some worm-holes and get that bit sorted for you.

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
I'm going to copy the "touch tongue here" subcircuit and put these connections on my tube amp circuits. I wonder how much the designer charges for the arduino code...

Crap, I just noticed they didn't specify the electric eel voltage. Not sure which species to use. Maybe the neck strap has a rating that will provide a clue.

..Todd

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hmmmmmmm........... I spy a container of "Magic Smoke" AND a light bulb load. I suspect that this designer has been around some of "Papa's" Zen Amps - and with a huge solder blob in there I have narrowed the list down to only a few suspects. :magnify: Anyone seen ZM around lately? :radar:

There was an electronics magazine in the 60's that ran a column called noteworthy circuits. It was either Popular Electronics or Radio Electronics. Every April issue contained a version called notworthy circuits. The diagrams resembled this sketch. Since transistors were not too popular with home builders yet most were tube circuits. The one that I remember contained things like the grid leak (a dripping water faucet) the plate load (a dinner plate) the dog bone resistor, the heater, and other oddball items with names similar to actual circuit components. I guess nobody saved this old stuff.

I'm going to copy the "touch tongue here" subcircuit and put these connections on my tube amp circuits. I wonder how much the designer charges for the arduino code...

Crap, I just noticed they didn't specify the electric eel voltage. Not sure which species to use. Maybe the neck strap has a rating that will provide a clue.

..Todd

Luckily there is only one species of electric eel but it has two types of electricity generating organs. The Sachs organ produces 10V/25Hz for orientation in murky water while Hunters organ is capable of producing 500V/1A/several hundred Hz to stun or kill prey or for self-defense.

Just wondering if substitutes were acceptable in circuits, I have no access to eels but electric rays are plentiful, can I use wasps ( or WASPs ) in place of scarabs??

I suppose you could substitute one eel with two rays as they only produce about half the voltage.

As for replacing the dung beetles (scarabs) with wasps I would probably try 1-2 hornets for each, or any other, similarly sized beetle. But beware of bomardier beetles, they might just spontaneously combust.

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
The neck straps are getting difficult to source! I'm looking at DIY options now. What do people normally use for electrodes in this situation? I was thinking of a belly-band shield from an old transformer, but it's only long enough for small pet necks.

Also, I ran out of NPNP transistors, can I just use an NPN in series with a complementary PNP, and tie their bases together?

..Todd

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.