You might be an audiophile if...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Here's some food for thought: :rolleyes:

Steve Guttenberg (writes for a number of magazines and Web sites, including Home Entertainment, Tone Audio, and Stereophile. He is a member of the CNET Blog Network and is not an employee of CNET.)

You might be an audiophile if...

You might be an audiophile if you sometimes listen to music without doing anything else.

You might be an audiophile if you paid more for your hi-fi than your car.

You might be an audiophile if your speaker cables are thicker than your garden hose.

You might be an audiophile if you think vacuum tube amplifiers are beautiful.

You might be an audiophile if you have your local hi-fi dealer's phone number on speed dial.

You might be an audiophile if you learned how to solder before you learned how to ride a bike.

You might be an audiophile if you don't mind the sound of your LPs' clicks and pops.

You might be an audiophile if you think home theater systems are a waste of time.

You might be an audiophile if you don't have an iPod.

You might be an audiophile if you know what "slew rate" means.

You might be an audiophile if you own more LPs and CDs than books or movies.

You might be an audiophile if your speakers are bigger than your microwave oven.

You're definitely an audiophile if your speakers are bigger than your refrigerator.

You might be an audiophile if... | The Audiophiliac - CNET News

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Shall I be unfaithful to Papa now?
I don't want it. I do not buy one like this because of that only.
Then if Mr. D'Agostino will be kind to publish the circuit diagram, I will made one, possibly. And otherwise it is only 90 lbs.

No worries Gyuri - I'm pretty sure that it will be a few years before anyone that actually purchases a couple of the D'Agostino amps will open them up and have any desire to "tweak" 'em up a bit.

Thus we will be safe in our building of Papa's (and others) DIY amps and still have some funds left over to pay bills with. :D

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
even if I obviously am , by some of these conditions ..... I'm Musicaphile first ( and last)

I don't give a dime for 99% of usual Audiophool mumbo jumbo ....... hey - even Mono is good enough for me

stereo is just double of building fun ......... and building is fun :rofl:

having good gadgets is fine , but build (most of ) them is what we are

:cheers:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes I am!!

I am definitely a true, blue AUDIO-phile. I love audio. And my speakers are bigger than my fridge.

There is a lot of music lover snobism - even on this forum :eek: - that wants us to believe it is all about the music. Ha! As though love of audio itself was contemptible. As though the true pure spirit is only in the music. Phooey, I say! Do not bow to the unction of the music snobs. Audiophiles unite!

I love audio. I love sounds. The screeching, screaming sound of of the Metro train going around a corner, the tiny buzz of a fly on the leeward side of a tropical volcano, the echo in the courthouse stairwell, the warm cozy acoustics of a good concert hall, the Doppler and reflection of a moped near a stone wall, the strange underwater sounds in the bathtub, the dogs next door who howl at the fire trucks, a saxophone's tune drifting out thru a summer window, thunder that rolls around the mountains or the crack and boom of an earthquake.

And I love audio gear. The bigger and less practical, the better! The warm glow of tubes, the strange complexity of multicell horns, the simple beauty of a good fullrange driver, the amazing size and weight of a Vitaphone turntable, that fact that sound can be recorded on wax, or shellac, or film, or tape or wire or a thumb drive.

And I don't listen to only music on my system. I listen to movie soundtracks, spoken word, radio dramas, comedy, even sound effects. I once made a good stereo recording of my Grandmother arguing with one of my aunts. Listening to that transported me back to the time and place like no video ever has.

So yes, I'm and audiophile. Music is a large part of that, but not the only part. I wave the audio banner proudly. :happy1:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member

So yes, I'm and audiophile. Music is a large part of that, but not the only part. I wave the banner proudly. :happy1:

yes - we two are the same ...... but I almost hate term Audiophile , just because I had my deal of PITA made by some non-DIY Audiophools ...... (even if some of them are sort of commercial makers of audio gadgets )

greed , jealousy and bad blood are reasons why I almost hate that term .....

anyway - that's more than usual subjective from me ... :clown:

as Big Cal sez ..... I'm 10/13

:rofl:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I think we need a whole new category especially for you guys... oh, sorry, boyz
:D

seriously - this is list edited , to include my Yays:

:clown:

You might be an audiophile if you sometimes listen to music without doing anything else.

You might be an audiophile if you paid more for your hi-fi than your car.

You might be an audiophile if you think vacuum tube amplifiers are beautiful.

You might be an audiophile if you don't mind the sound of your LPs' clicks and pops.

You might be an audiophile if you think home theater systems are a waste of time.

You might be an audiophile if you don't have an iPod.

You might be an audiophile if you know what "slew rate" means.

You might be an audiophile if you own more LPs and CDs than books or movies.

You might be an audiophile if your speakers are bigger than your microwave oven.

You're definitely an audiophile if your speakers are bigger than your refrigerator.

only that part of number of books vs. music scores is questionable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.