Sydney Meetup - interest?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think you may have problems if you think everyone in syd in diyaudio would necessarily see this in this obscure section of the forum!

first time I've been here, so maybe it might be better to focus your message? Ie diy what? then post in the appropriate subsection??

just had a tiny 'diy' meet last week out here at my place last weekend. sort of.

was fun.

I hate sydney.

I'd go to one in Newcastle.

and who is to say that someone wouldnt just use this meetup to stake out whats inside someones house? the police are useless here in tracking down stolen items so I'm sure I'd never see it again, I'm not going to take my expensive gear out in public and drag it down to sydney just to show it off to some thieves.

The meetup would need to be about conversations and ideas and we already have that on diyaudio.com anyway.

Not to mention the cost of doing an actual meetup in Australia, everything is so expensive here!

In the USA and europe things like this are much cheaper to do and have a much larger collection of users, In Australia two people who want to meetup could be 500km apart from each other, Its just unfeasible.

When I feel like throwing up and going to sydney I'll let you know.

Last edited:
I hate sydney.

I'd go to one in Newcastle.

and who is to say that someone wouldnt just use this meetup to stake out whats inside someones house? the police are useless here in tracking down stolen items so I'm sure I'd never see it again, I'm not going to take my expensive gear out in public and drag it down to sydney just to show it off to some thieves.

The meetup would need to be about conversations and ideas and we already have that on diyaudio.com anyway.

Not to mention the cost of doing an actual meetup in Australia, everything is so expensive here!

In the USA and europe things like this are much cheaper to do and have a much larger collection of users, In Australia two people who want to meetup could be 500km apart from each other, Its just unfeasible.

When I feel like throwing up and going to sydney I'll let you know.
\

lighten up dude, man that is one huge frickin chip on your shoulder.

You know, with posts like these you might not be welcome, to sydney or anywhere.

just so's you know, every year I have twenty or thirty audio guys come to my place from all over australia, yet to have anyone from WA tho..that will prob happen next year.

It's not a diy event as mooted in this thread, but you will not find a greater bunch of honest fantastic people, all from an audio forum (tho not a diy one)

(just deleted some 'heavy' stuff..not worth it)

Look, I hope you manage to find some decent people in your life.

good luck.

Go ahead and be nasty just because you can, I'm stating fact. I get nervous and sick just thinking about going into Sydney.

Its obvious that your group is meant for people who you already trust, if you don't believe me then try and hold a public group for once and everyone in your group will shy away from it because they know the truth, there is simply too many opportunistic theives in this country for us to be able to hold public events like this.

Prove. Me. Wrong.

Last edited:
haha no freax, i'm afraid you are showing more about yourself with the ridiculous post above and your paranoid, judgmental and presumptuous post simply brought about the type of reply I would expect. I think your post is much more rude.

I have been to meets of many kinds all over AU brissie, Sydney, Vic, some of them head-fi meets where someone could fairly easily walk away with a pair of 3K headphones, cant really put speakers in your pocket.

I come to the Sydney meets every year and in 5 years of doing this we have never had a problem. some of this gear is worth more than your average daily driver and its there for everyone to use. some of us know each other, but only through the meets/forums, there are more and more each year that weve never seen before.

so they dont need to prove you wrong, you are flat out wrong already on several counts. at face to face meets you can get a sense of the person better than on the forums, most people have a forum persona and that is mostly dropped. it seems to me that your paranoia could use a reality check

its about coming together with people with a common interest and talk shop without feeling like an alien. its great to get to hear gear you may have only read about, or totally original designs, but in the end its about the people, meets are pretty bad listening environments. your average audio hobbiest isnt the type that needs to be sizing up the next opportunity to steal something and besides everyone looks out for each others gear.

Last edited:
FWIW- my personal experience with these things in the USA and Europe has been 100% positive. Guys with whom I wrestle online are great drinking/listening/discussion buddies. I've hosted moderators and banned members, met prolific contributors and lurkers.

I can't encourage more strongly that people get together and directly share circuits, ideas, and (most importantly) music. It's a great and life-enhancing experience.

Go ahead and be nasty just because you can

You're kidding right?

I'm stating fact. I get nervous and sick just thinking about going into Sydney.

Again, another joke? If all you said was you hate sydney, what in the world would there be any thing to say about it. You said far more than that.

Its obvious that your group is meant for people who you already trust, if you don't believe me then try and hold a public group for once and everyone in your group will shy away from it because they know the truth, there is simply too many opportunistic theives in this country for us to be able to hold public events like this.

Prove. Me. Wrong.

You poor sad figure. My group you mentioned, how in the hell do you even think it got to a stage where we trusted each other? I mean none of us had met other than on a forum till the first time right?

I can't prove you wrong you know. Wanna know why?

Cause we make our own reality. What we experience is a direct reflection of what we project, and naturally we perceive exactly what our perception of life is. It is clear what your perceptions of people are.

In your own mind, everyone WILL be untrustworthy. And it will be completely real to you.

I meant it when I wished you luck, I hope one day you will find some sort of peace in your life.

To any others reading, all I can say is that some of the most wonderful friendships I have made has come from these type of gtg's. Not only with those you find yourself agreeing with on audio matters, but also those you have 'arguments' with.

In person those divisions seems to fall away.

If it can be managed, make the effort to go to these sort of occasions.

I guess I would not have really said anything if it was just some random dude's sad view of life on the net. Plenty of that if you want to search for it.

But to have some sad sack sh1tting in a thread about gtg's just cause HE has personality issues which means he cannot have normal interpersonal relationships????

Guess it just rubbed me up the wrong way.

absolutely, I knew no-one when I went to my first meet, I was a fairly new head-fi member too, but I split a hotel room with another member, met some people there and ive gone every year since. the last 3 years I have been hosted by these people and one I can see will be a lifelong friend (also a member here, nattonrice) we talk/email several times a week and he (and his family) probably knows more about me than many of my much longer held friends.

a little OT, but just to illustrate a point

this was this years Sydney Headfi meet

the first photo is Winks Table, the average headphone on this table is well over a grand, with a couple rare ones pushing 5K plus recable value. free for anyone to take away and try on your system as long as you ask and look after them. hes also been known to lend them to people to take home and return at a later date.

the second picture is about 35K in STAX and Sennheiser electrostats including the SR009, SR007 mk1/mkII and HE60. these are there for people to try, the 009 is pushing 8K I think.pretty much the top 5 of the worlds most expensive headphones in one picture

the 3rd is Toms (nattonrice) DIY T2 electrostatic amp, OMG what an amp!

the last is me (with the long hair) and a guy from 'Addicted to Audio' in Melbourne. not only did we chat for a while, having never met before, but we even managed to find some common ground for music auditions, since the T2 can drive 2 headphones at once, we took turns and it was a nice little journey.

not a single incident, I dont know a single person (in person) in the background of the third photo I dont think, not before this year

Attachments

• winks table.jpg
    winks table.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 59
  • STAX candy.jpg
    STAX candy.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 68
  • Tom's DIY T2.jpg
    Tom's DIY T2.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 60
  • me with STAX SR007.jpg
    me with STAX SR007.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
freax

I've met with several members in the Newcastle area and even hopped on a plane to Melbourne. A guy from Melbourne visited and stayed for days on a couple of occasions. Long term friendships have been formed with these people even though I had never known them previously nor any idea of their history. We just had a common interest and it went from there. It was difficult for me initially as I am a OCD sufferer, but just hurdled the barriers I placed in front of myself.

We've had show and tell at each other places as well as discussions, helping and giving opinions on designs but mostly just yacking about anything. There's never been any issues of theft etc and the wife has been supportive.

I'm no longer active in diy audio but still keep in contact with some of these guys. In the not so distant future, I hope to get on a plane to Melbourne again and the go visiting.... health permitting.

a lot of nice equipment there, I even see the 4U rackmount case from jaycar that I cannot seem to make into a project.

but I've also just been called a sad sack of ****, so who am I to believe here? are you guys nice and kind or are you just like regular aussie folk? I can't stand that kind of ****, if I'm spoken to in that manner in public I'll flip my lid and kill someone.

**** all of you aussie *****, I come on here to talk to the americans anyway exactly because of this ********.

freax, if you cant see why you were spoken to like that, then i'm not sure what else to say.

you just projected a whole world of crap onto people who are very unlikely to be that way, that tends to put people offside.

you will be treated in kind.

go there with a good attitude and an open mind, I suspect you'll have a good time, go their expecting to..I dunno what you expect to happen, but obviously something bad, then I dont expect you will have a good time and people will see it written all over your face so may not be friendly

Last edited:
I like to think that the diy audio community (and the audio community at large) in Sydney are nice folk.

Apprehension is totally understandable given the value of the equipment you no doubt own.
I had very similar misgivings the first time I attended a meet.
I can only recommend that you do what I did and attend your first meet with out bringing any equipment.
Once you get to know the regulars at your meet of choice, then you can think of contributing gear at subsequent ones (if you feel comfortable of course).

a lot of nice equipment there, I even see the 4U rackmount case from jaycar that I cannot seem to make into a project.

but I've also just been called a sad sack of ****, so who am I to believe here? are you guys nice and kind or are you just like regular aussie folk? I can't stand that kind of ****, if I'm spoken to in that manner in public I'll flip my lid and kill someone.

**** all of you aussie *****, I come on here to talk to the americans anyway exactly because of this ********.

I'm really hoping you're a troll. Either you're a troll or a hypocrite, and a particularly insensitive hypocrite at that.

You throw about unfounded accusations like they're water - hell, you had a fair go at a whole city, then followed up by attacking your whole country! - and then wonder why people think you're acting rudely.

I'll give you a hint: It's because you're being rude.

Aussies are nice people. Sure, we have our share of bigots and fools, and there may even be some intersection between those groups and the DIY Audio community. That's besides the point - they're not the majority on the streets, and they're certainly not the majority here!

EDIT: Oh, and on the off chance that we can have an on-topic discussion, I'd be glad to join any such meetup!

Last edited:
so none of you thought it was strange or overly patriotic that I had the **** blasted out of me just because I was cynical of a city?

wow...

thats OK, pretty sure they didnt want you there anyway. act like this ANYWHERE with ANYBODY in ANY country and they will put you in the too hard basket/damaged goods category i'm afraid :rolleyes:

i've already seen the unending stream of anti Australian commentary that spills forth from your mouth. its one thing to be anti-establishment, comes with a certain point in life sometimes and we get plenty to reinforce that in the press because some things are just fubared, but you seem to be having a great deal of trouble coming to grips with being human.....perhaps you should get out amongst them?

cynical? Ha minimization much?

that is all....

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.