False fire alarm: what can cause it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Humidity plays a very important role in the triggering of false alarms.
If water vapors enter the detection chamber, they will refract the IR light and cause the photodiode to trigger an alarm.
It is best to keep the smoke detectors away from sources of heat or cold.

Pay attention to dust also, as it will have the exact same effect.

It's a communist plot!

I knew they will find me some day! :eek:

Nope, let it be better Poltergeist! :D

I will replace the batteries however, but why it is so sudden and rare if they are already semi-deal? And why when we are asleep?!

On a side note, the radioactive elements in old smoke detectors make great random number generators.

Ah-hah! And I knew from that lection that concentrated thoughts affect that damn random generators! :D

Last edited:
Humidity plays a very important role in the triggering of false alarms.
If water vapors enter the detection chamber, they will refract the IR light and cause the photodiode to trigger an alarm.
It is best to keep the smoke detectors away from sources of heat or cold.

Pay attention to dust also, as it will have the exact same effect.

I have had a smoke detector in the hallway trigger early in the morning , and DEFINITELY due to my daughter in law having a very steamy shower after studying late.The bathroom was not very far away from the ceiling mounted hallway detector.
SandyK

* Fire alarm control panel: This component, the hub of the system, monitors inputs and system integrity, controls outputs and relays information.

* Primary Power supply: Commonly the non-switched 120 or 240 Volt Alternating Current source supplied from a commercial power utility. In non-residential applications, a branch circuit is dedicated to the fire alarm system and its constituents.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.