Possibly the worst assumption in audio electronics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

Its not simply just a question of displacment, that is just a number, its energy,
or power, or SPL, displacement drastically reduces with frequency, for the
critical 3kHz to 4kHz band the ears shape itself will amplify the signal to
more than implied by the simple mathematics that apply lower down.

The numbers (I have not worked them out) probably represent an equivalent.
I guess your talking about the equivalent displacement @4kHz for ~ -10dB.
It may be a higher frequency with lower displacement but a higher dB level.

:cool: /Sreten.

Last edited:
It is not the dB that you divide for that, but the amplitude. If you calculate in dB you need to subtract the attenuation. 16000m give some 168db attenuation (just for inverse square law, no friction losses), so the final signal would be at -96dB. Air friction losses would drive that even lower.

As soon as you read that, you know you're dealing with garbage.

I'll leave the chalk calculation as an exercise for the reader. It is similarly garbage.

Yes. A reliable secondary source for that kind of data is Fundamentals of Acoustics by Lawrence Kinsler and Austin Frey, published by John Wiley & Sons. They state that the human ear can respond to sound pressures on the order of .0001 microbars, which corresponds to a displacement of the eardrum of .01 nm, which is roughly 1/10 the diameter of a hydrogen gas molecule, not 1/100.

The changes in pressure due to thermal agitation of gas molecules falls below this threshold, so despite extraordinary claims, this type of noise is inaudible.

Over 35 years ago as an engineering student in the auto industry (with 20 year old ears) I took the opportunity to spend over an hour in a state of the art anechoic chamber in the dark just for the experience. Once your ears recover from the background noise that usually assaults them you hear two things very distinctly. The throbbing of your pulse and a whine seemingly at maybe 1kHz which is the nervous system background noise.

Interestingly enough, although the ability to hear higher frequencies fades with age, the ability to detect these miniscule changes in pressure and corresponding displacement of the eardrum in the range of 1kHz to 5kHz stays with us.

John

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
:D

When you think about it this thread has gone pear shaped. So all this calculations and headscratching because some nutty said you could hear a piece of chalk drop ten miles away from you. Ask a normal person and he will need five seconds to get that right. No way.

What difference does it make anyway? This has nothing to do with audio electronics concerning the human ear. Is it possible for audio engineers to build an electronic device that will have the same capabilities that the human ear has? No it isn't.

:D

When you think about it this thread has gone pear shaped. So all this
calculations and headscratching because some nutty said you could
hear a piece of chalk drop ten miles away from you. Ask a normal
person and he will need five seconds to get that right. No way.

What difference does it make anyway? This has nothing to do with
audio electronics concerning the human ear. Is it possible for audio
engineers to build an electronic device that will have the same
capabilities that the human ear has? No it isn't.

Hi, I quite agree, its just playing with numbers not reality, rgds, /sreten.

Though FWIW electronic signal processing and decent mikes can do lots
of things the human ear is totally incapable of, such as dig out a slow
signal from e.g. 60dB of noise, and mikes are intrinsically more accurate
and can show loads of things that human perception is incapable of.

If you look at the literature (I do NOT mean a wiki), the "one-molecule" estimate has been around since the 1970s.

A decade or two later, the estimate was refined and then conjectured that if the sensitivity was any better, you would be coming up against limits set by Brownian Motion

That makes sense - there is no survival advantage in evolving a hearing mechanism that's more sensitive than the environmental noise limits.

A similar situation exists with microphones. Smaller diaphragms are preferable to larger, especially for measurement work, and good preamps are now so quiet that they don't contribute significantly to the noise figure. The limiting factor is brownian motion noise, which gets worse as the diaphragm area reduces.

Assumption: people who write popular articles about science have very good imagination. :D

But... I recently heard a lecture of a scientist that studied subconscious reactions on different kinds of sounds. What they've found, was something different from what they intended to study.

They found that people react before they heard certain sounds!
They started working with pictures as well that cause different emotions, and found that emotion reactions happen as well before!

How to explain that?

Nobody has any strict theory, but many institutes and laboratories work on it at least last 12 years, and have a lot of unexplainable data.

What do I mean?
I mean that all explanations of mind from machine-like theories don't corellate with empirically obtained results.

Last edited:
They found that people react before they heard certain sounds!
They started working with pictures as well that cause different emotions, and found that emotion reactions happen as well before!

How to explain that?

Its not an explanation but this is entirely in keeping with Benjamin Libet's work decades ago. He found that people made a decision (actually there was measurable 'readiness potential') to move their finger a few hundred mS before they became aware of making that decision.

Conclusion - our conscious awareness lags behind 'real time' by a not insignificant amount.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
When you think about it this thread has gone pear shaped.
My patience has been rewarded, many interesting comments has been posted since I made that remark.

considering that we have developed atomic force microscopes I consider that to be rather bold statement limiting a priori the capabilities of engineering.
Yes, but they're still unable to build a robot that walks properly. :D

That's crazy! Got any more info?
If you're interested in crazy ideas I suggest you to read the works of Carl Jung.

Conclusion - our conscious awareness lags behind 'real time' by a not insignificant amount.
Yes, conscious awareness always comes second. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.