Possibly the worst assumption in audio electronics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
A long while ago I read (or saw on a TV show) about how quiet it can be in Antarctica on a still day. Whilst no where near the claims of the chalk experiment, the person was relating how they could hear the shutter click of their colleagues camera who was over 1Km away.

Just a random anecdote no more ;)

Tony.

4dB lower than the established threshold of hearing, 0dB(SPL). Not too far out, I'd say. Bigger problem for a real chalk experiment might be HF absorbtion which is not modelled by the p~1/r relationship. Who's gonna take their subs down to Antarctica? :)

Last edited:
There's that reference: 20 uPa.

The experiment is set up with nothing to reflect off of and no other sound... It's hard to know what the original speaker meant here, but perhaps he meant a theoretical reference of 0 uPa? Given the impracticality of the rest of it, who knows. The setup is clearly not in the realm of physically possible.

I'm not even sure what the implications of a zero background noise environment are. It's not really sensible to talk about, but perhaps it is mathematically possible? I don't know what the implications of changing the standard background reference are on Sy's SPL calculation.

Extraordinarily so. The ear can detect a sound wave so small it moves the eardrum just one angstrom, 100 times less than the diameter of a hydrogen molecule.

As soon as you read that, you know you're dealing with garbage.

I'll leave the chalk calculation as an exercise for the reader. It is similarly garbage.

I saw something like that before. It might have been in a P. Chem. book.

You need to explain that to all the people posting this.
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&client...eardrum+angstrom&gs_rfai=&fp=8631cdd35a4d476d

Last edited:
4dB lower than the established threshold of hearing, 0dB(SPL). Not too far out, I'd say. Bigger problem for a real chalk experiment might be HF absorbtion which is not modelled by the p~1/r relationship. Who's gonna take their subs down to Antarctica? :)

Hi, No, you do not seem understand the wiki reference you quoted regarding SPL, :cool: /Sreten.

Everyone seems to be trying hard to prove the OP is correct ... :wink:

Last edited:
I saw something like that before. It might have been in a P. Chem. book.

If you have a P Chem book that says that a hydrogen molecule has a 100 A diameter, you need to get a new book. Hopkins Magazine needs to get better writers or hire a fact checker.

Just for giggles, I measured the SPL of chalk dropped on a tile floor from a meter away. 71dB peak. So we're down to -13dB ref 20 uPa.

A long while ago I read (or saw on a TV show) about how quiet it can be in Antarctica on a still day. Whilst no where near the claims of the chalk experiment, the person was relating how they could hear the shutter click of their colleagues camera who was over 1Km away.

Just a random anecdote no more ;)

Tony.

WOW...I would imagine a fart would sound like a howitzer over there...:D

Did you look at these links?

Yes. Very few were primary lit (mostly repeating one another), and the few primary sources didn't cite how that number was determined, it was incidental to the focus of the papers. Nice to see this forum hit the top of the Google list!

WOW...I would imagine a fart would sound like a howitzer over there...

Thus the strict no-beans rule.

These speculations on the ear resolving angstrom (or sub-angstrom) level displacements of the eardrum ignore several aspects related to internal signal to noise limitations. The eardrum, bone linkage and cochlear mechanism are embedded in your head, where the circulatory system pulsates to heart contractions that produce rhythmic tissue displacements (arterial response) of thousands of angstroms efficiently coupled through surrounding fluids. The nervous system that transmits signals resolved by the cochlea has a noise floor (as does every signal processing system) that provides a steady state lower limit to what can be heard.

Over 35 years ago as an engineering student in the auto industry (with 20 year old ears) I took the opportunity to spend over an hour in a state of the art anechoic chamber in the dark just for the experience. Once your ears recover from the background noise that usually assaults them you hear two things very distinctly. The throbbing of your pulse and a whine seemingly at maybe 1kHz which is the nervous system background noise. These are not at all subtle :eek: and would completely overwhelm any chalk dropping 16 km away.

Originally Posted by KSTR
4dB lower than the established threshold of hearing, 0dB(SPL).

Originally Posted by sreten
Hi, No, you do not seem understand the wiki reference you quoted regarding SPL, /Sreten.

You're making a wrong assumption.

Hi,

It appears I am, but checking my quick calculation I had screwed
it up, I cannot work out how now, the number -4dB is correct.
But that comes from a 1/Rsquared function for power and SPL.

Apologies for any misunderstandings.

:cool: /Sreten.

FWIW 0dB is not the threshold of hearing, it is near but is simply a reference level.
Those with normal hearing dip below 0dB for 0phons in the around 3KHz critical region.
(As 0phons is normalised to 0dB at 1kHz, all phon levels are normalised to dB at 1KHz.)
Those with very good hearing can hear - phon levels, bad hearing only higher levels.

Attachments

• 226_2003.jpg
    226_2003.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.