The Quote button and other faux pas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
:cop: This thread split of from another in the speaker forum. Subject is the overuse of the quote button. E.G. quoting the entire post just above yours.
___________________________________________________________________________________________

You don't have to quote the whole post just above yours, you know.....]

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
OT, I know - but over-quoting drives me nutz! See, you did it above just to annoy me. ;)
We can SEE the post just above, no need to repeat the whole darn thing. It's just thread clutter. And bad netiquette.

Be kind, click the reply button, not "quote". <rant off>

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
One man's trivial ...

Not editing a quote to the essentials is bad netiquite, uses more bandwidth, and adds more noise to wade thru for subsequent readers, Sure we could edit it down, but that wouldn't train members to be tidy & kind themselves and to save us doing up. The less janitor work we have to do, the more time we have to participate in the forum as members ... which is what we'd prefer to be doing.

dave

I can, I do. But I can't keep up. Hope that the forum software can me modified to make the "Reply" button easier to reach than the "Quote" button.

<off topic>
No modifications to the software required. Replace the images:
  • <webroot>/forums/images/div/diy/buttons/quote.gif with another that has the "Quote" text removed and replace the image
  • <webroot>/forums/images/div/diy/buttons/quickreply.gif with another that has the "Reply" text added.

If you want to make the reply button appear on the left instead of the right of each post you need to edit one of the postbit templates (cant remember which) but it will be overwritten any time that vb releases an update to that template (I'm guessing that the diy theme is a sub-theme of the Default).
</off topic>

:cop: This thread split of from another in the speaker forum. Subject is the overuse of the quote button. E.G. quoting the entire post just above yours.
___________________________________________________________________________________________

You don't have to quote the whole post just above yours, you know.....]

OT, I know - but over-quoting drives me nutz! See, you did it above just to annoy me. ;)
We can SEE the post just above, no need to repeat the whole darn thing. It's just thread clutter. And bad netiquette.

Be kind, click the reply button, not "quote". <rant off>

Sure dude, whateverz....
One man's trivial is another man's pet peeve.

I do too, but we should not have to. Making the "quote" button harder to reach would be a good 1st step.

The button is not necessary when you can just use the UBB code.

It also makes it clear to others what is being refered to.

Also, in the event that someone else posts at the same time and beats you out in post order then others reading along don't have to try to figure out what is being refered to. This becomes more important when searching archived posts for information.

They sell USB mice with a scroll wheel for 20 bucks. ;)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Sorry, your point is not clear. Do you like repeated posts, or not?

Quoting is fine and often necessary. Quoting the entire post just above yours is just noise and clutter. If a post slips in before yours, it's usually no big deal. If your post is pushed to the next page, then the quote is useful.

But there is no need to repeat what is just above yours. It's just bad manners.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Oh, OK. Thought it might be, but you never know around this place! :D

The other forum faux pas? There are plenty. I'm trying to write a forum etiquette guide/FAQ now the the rules are finally up. It will take some time, thing take time around here. If you think the legislature is slow, you ain't seen nothin!

One nice thing is that most folks seem to search pretty well. So not the 100 time the same question, like in the old days. Perhaps there is hope...

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member

It dives me nuts as well.. I often use quote, but almost always either split it into multiple sections with my replies in between or edit out the irrelevant bits.

The right most icon (in line with quote) actually jumps to the quick reply box at the bottom of the screen.... I only just discovered that. Perhaps the quote button could be moved to the right most position, and the quick reply button could be put where the quote button is, and be given a new graphic that says "REPLY" :)

Tony.

Some users are not as competent as others. While it's to be hoped that they will become more competent with time (which a thread like this probably encourages a bit), it's not worth getting irritated about.

Things that are worth getting irritated about:-

John Curl
Anecdotes presented as evidence
Tube huggers

w

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.