Audiophiles, a different perspective

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Ok
Im just trying to understand why that is
Why so many members think that way

To me audiophile describes a front runner in audio/hifi, a dedicated and creative inventor
Not that the word have been on my mind that much, until now
HIFI have always been my nasty word
I like AUDIO better
But others hate that too

Its very confusing, with such emotional reactions

But whatever, those you mention have never been worthy of the"title" you give them

When I was younger and single, I used to spend horrendous amounts of dollars on equipment searching for that most accurate sound, and I guess I thought that I had to buy high end gear to be considered an “audiophile”
These days I still have the same love of recorded music (in whatever medium) but gain more enjoyment building my own equipment, I guess I’m still an “audiophile”?

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
To me audiophile describes a front runner in audio/hifi, a dedicated and creative inventor

An audiophile a creative inventor? That sounds odd to me. A romantic view, an idealized image that has nothing to do with reality. Some creativity is necessary to enjoy recorded music but you're not inventing anything, either you are born with it or you're not.

A creative inventor could be an audio engineer or an audio salesman.

But whatever, those you mention have never been worthy of the"title" you give them

I didn't give them anything, they have taken it for themselves.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I didn't give them anything, they have taken it for themselves.

Ahh, you mean like wannabees trying to get into the exclusive club, by presenting cheap tricks
Yeah, that makes sense, and tells how it went so wrong, sure

But that doesnt change the fact that there are, or have been, real genuine audiophiles who have had the power to change our perception of sound, in a positive sense

The false ones have as you say done the opposite, and pushed audio in the wrong direction
And its true, if they have strong commercial interests, they will have powers too
But thats only natural, and how the world works

But it seems impossible to deny the fact that the better of them have had positive influence
Those I call the true genuine audiophiles, the real thing

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well, how about those happy souls who report on what they hear honestly and just want to enjoy their gear. That covers the person using his 1950's setup right on up to and including the latest in equipment. People who view the equipment as a tool to arrive at the music.

The false ones have as you say done the opposite, and pushed audio in the wrong direction
That has got to be people who misinform for the sole purpose of making a profit or a living. An honest review (minus all the silly prose) is always a worthwhile read for me. The others simply concentrate on misusing the English language. Then there are those gadgets sitting firmly in the fringe area. Where to draw the line?

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi tinitus,
There's one answer. Still, there is more to it. Just as in every endeavor, you have people who have made the errors and others who lucked down the right paths for them. It's natural for human being to mentor those who are learning.

The question is also when to stop trying to help someone stay on the right track. Could be fun.

-Chris

Is an audiophile, one who listens to music, or one who listens to the reproduction of music?
ie. Do YOU listen to the music, or listen to your gear? Which is the real audiophile?

Don't worry Cal, Australia was grown off the sheeps back. Once, respected beyond peer, nowdays, shearers, (like audiophiles), are scum of the earth! .........................................EVEN consultants are held in higher regard!:D

Mick.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Do YOU listen to the music, or listen to your gear?

Mick.

I listen to music, finally
But it hasnt always been that easy

I can do that now because I have finally learned how to get it right, so that there are less annoying artefacts in reproduction of sound

If I have to mention someone I think of as a genuine audiophile, I could suggest Jean Hiraga

And anyone who has a room with dedicated serious acoustic design, I would rate as audiophile

I would say that FirstWatt are serious audiophile products designed for the serious audiophile enthusiast

Hell, I could even claim that anyone who has a dedicated setup in their livingroom are audiophiles, but that wouldnt be fair

Well, my speakers are now going into my bookshelve, and thats not very audiophile, so Im probably lost now :)

But right now I have loose speakers scattered on the floor, forming a dipole omni kind of a thing.......... very audiophile :D

I desperatly, just want to hear the music, but I keep hearing gear!

I am not an audiophile, I just love music and building/messing with stuff.

Audiophile, is just a title, to explain nothing, I think:scratch:. If you dedicated 2% of your entire life, just trying to find that perfect sound, (that probably doesn't exsist in the first place), A) Your mad, and B) your probably a self proclaimed audiophile.

If your at work and under the pump:whip:, your trying to concentrate on the task at hand, but you just keep looking at that plant pot over there, 'cause that would do nicely for a certain project. Your probably an audiophile.

DIYers, take it to another level.:worship:

Having more than enough money often ignites an always ready to burn curiosity - "that cool looking amp on that review site" must really have "that" perfect sound I was looking for. As the "audiophiles" liked the production, I get carried away and start fantasizing about its output's quality and eventually I buy it with $4999/-, just to find out that the sound is very good and clear, but...

It's those three dots following that "but" which I feel unable to explain or understand, but they seem to cause some kind of uneasy feeling about this amp which was until now alien to me with my DIY amp. I fail to get in sync with the sound, I start to increase the span of intervals between play periods, I do some meditation, I take a 15days tour to countryside to refresh my feelings which was stained by the workaholic nature of mine, I come back, play the amp again and nothing changes. It still doesn't like me to listen to it. And now I am afraid to tell this to others; I don't wanna be alone.

Am I a terrible listener? Have I lost my passion for music?? Do I have Tin Ears? But my DIY amp kind of loves me, and I love it too... :crying:

Those dots indicate the mismatch. Not everything is for everyone. One amp may well fascinate a lot of people, and do the opposite for a lot of other people. Psychoacoustix thingy. This doesn't mean those who fail for one amp are deaf. This means they should look elsewhere. Some other "much praised" and "worshipped" amp, OR, some DIY amp may actually become their real musical companion. That the audiophiles say "that" amp rocks, you may not like it and hate yourself for this! Fault of the audiophiles? I don't think so.

Homeopathy suggests remedies based on the patient's personality and temperament. Same diseases, different people, different medicine, different combination. I like this approach. More action and less side effects. Considering the long experience audiophiles have gained in the field of hi-fi, and the number of audiophile amps available I think they could experiment with this amp-person relationship and effectiveness of one amp on a certain group of people, based on personality, activity, temper, sweat level, body odour :D etc... I think it would make life easier and be a lot more fun. Commenting on an amp based on "just" their own experience removes and adds same amount of problem in the listeners' area.

I don't think audiophiles are unnecessary. What I think is that they should research more on the above mentioned philosophy. After all, amps are solely made for human enjoyment, and not all humans speak the same language.

BTW, I already have my dream DIY amp at home. I love it. And the audiophiles haven't said a word so far about it. They can't; It's MY amp. For me, DIY is the best way to go.

Rest assured Tinitus,

I honestly think, most people within these walls are audiophiles, for sure.

Why? Simply because, we don't buy for snob value, or because some 'audiophile' said it's good, but because we trusted our instincts, and found something better. Fought tooth and nail, against, depending on who you are, many different things, to be where you are today, something to be proud of, despite what some people (even within these walls) may say.

Mick.:)

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
When I look back its clear that "diy" was invented by audiophiles, long before anyone knew the word "diy"
And sure, some were into money making too
But does anything work without it
But they develloped a diy culture

diy today has develloped even further
and there are still people making money
look at how we rate different caps, resistors, etc
its still the same, and its audiophile

as said, I believe there are false audiophiles, and there are the good ones
I think its bad to take the false ones into account of how we think of audiophiles
its wrong to those who are the good ones
there are many good audiophiles among us, in diy
some helps us devellop diy even further
injecting a quality that makes diy a bit more than just assembling

modern diy is great
you can take it to almost any level you want
thats why I claim that the genuine and good audiophiles, they are found in diy
Sure, we could put it backwards
That the real audiophile is a diyer
Like it or not, theres audiophile genes in our diy blood

but nothings never just black and white, but holds many shades of grey too
Maybe diy is also about escapism from the commercial audiophile world

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.